Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members,
As I am sure that you all know, the new pads for 02 are of a different composition, than the 01s.
They do dust a little more, and they can be slightly noisy. This is normal, as the composition is more aggressive, providing better braking under extreme conditions. While driving this pad, I found the bite substantially better, but as I said. Slightly more dust, and a little noise.
Just be aware of this conditions, and that this is the nature of this particular pad.
Bestto all, c4c5

·
Registered
575 Posts
Its also been suggested that if you're not going to drive the car agressively, that you swap out the pads for regular ones so you can avoid the extra dust and noise.
I'm sure there will be lots of folks that will do a swap for those agressive pads. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif
Bob

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I believe they are manufacturered by Hawk. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

**FOR SALE** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **FOR SALE**
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
171 Posts
The 02 Z06 brake pad is more aggressive. It offers slightly more stopping power for a given pedal input. It has noticeably improved fade resitance. It does emit more dust and it does squeak more under certain circumstances. The pad is also more abrasive, so there will be a slight decrease in brake disc life. The amount of the decrease will vary with how hard the brakes are used.

Z06ers who don't drive the car hard and who find the increased dust and noise annoying should downgrade to the base/01 Z06 brake pad.

The new front pads are not made by Hawk. The Hawk pad was an undocumented, over-the-counter, upgrade (PN12480154) available for a while from GM. The 02 pads are made by a different supplier, the name of which I have been unable to obtain.

There is more information on the new brake pad on the C5 Registry site at http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page6.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts