Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Happy 4th. :usa:

I was going over my pre-flight checklist a little early before the Fest. I checked the oil and it was down 1 qt. I only have 2500 miles on the car and it has been 1500 miles since I changed the oil. I don't see any smoke and there are no leaks. Is this normal? I had a couple of high rpm pulls so I am thinking it may have burned up some oil there.

I know the '01's had an oil consumption problem but I thought the '02 might be better. My Z was built 4th qtr 2001 so it's not a real early model '02.

Thx,
Pat

Time to hit a couple of BBQs.... :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I would not accept that much consumption.

Some (but not all) '01's may have had 2 Oil Consumption issues:
1. Early production run had a ring problem
2. Valley Seal Problem which causes excessive oil to be channeled thru PCV system.

The ring design was changed for '02 but some '02's still had the Valley Seal problem.

Oil Consumption can also be attributed to
1. Driving habits (extended high RPM useage).
2. Track and competition (including AutoX) use.

You may have a Valley Seal Problem. Is there oil behind the throttle body in the intake manifold ??

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had the same problem.

Yes that is too much oil...luckily your still under warranty...do yourself a favor and go get it fixed.

and when you go to the dealer, dont accept that driving habit BS as an answer either.

Yes, you consume more oil the harder you drive (common sense), but 1qrt per 1,500 miles...thats ridiculous. Sad part is, it will only get worse.

good luck

·
Registered
629 Posts
Usually GM will attempt to fix it if it uses more than 1-quart per 2000-miles. Time for an oil consumption test.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
On a return trip from NY to NV, I needed to add a quart 3200 miles into the trip. That was where I averaged 73 MPH for 3 1/2 days. sounds like 1500 miles/quart needs to be addressed.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My '02 used oil too. I took it in to the dealer and they found oil behind the TB. Replaced the valley cover seal, did a consumption test and its all good.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There have been a number of folks claiming oil consumption on their 02's. It's typically from prolonged higher rev driving. Most of the incidents, 01 & 02 have be remedied with the valley seal replacement.

I would not get too excited yet. Talk to your dealer and let them know that you have noticed the consumption. Drive your car some more, monitor the oil use over a longer period of time, say a couple of oil changes. I would also recommend checking your oil before starting.

Z06Pat said:
Hi all,

Happy 4th. :usa:

I was going over my pre-flight checklist a little early before the Fest. I checked the oil and it was down 1 qt. I only have 2500 miles on the car and it has been 1500 miles since I changed the oil. I don't see any smoke and there are no leaks. Is this normal? I had a couple of high rpm pulls so I am thinking it may have burned up some oil there.

I know the '01's had an oil consumption problem but I thought the '02 might be better. My Z was built 4th qtr 2001 so it's not a real early model '02.

Thx,
Pat

Time to hit a couple of BBQs.... :cheers:

·
Registered
968 Posts
LOOSE motors make more ponies!!!!!!What is 3.00 for a qt. of oil every now and than,besides it keeps the oil cleaner!!! :eyes:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I will go to the dealer after the Fest. I am taking 2 qts of oil w/ me just in case as I expect to drive 2k-3k miles.

Regarding extended high rpms...the only time I get even close to 6k rpm is when I am merging on the highway. I usually bring 3rd gear close to redline then once I find a hole in traffic I drop her into 6th and set the cruise at 74 mph. At most, I make a highway run twice a month. I usually just drive 6 miles each way to work a few times a week. When it is raining or extremely hot I drive the beater to work.

BTW, what exactly is an "oil consumption test" that the dealer would perform?

Pat

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've got an '02 that burns a little oil from time to time... not alot, though.

This "Valley Seal" repair... does anyone have any info on this regarding a new part number for the seal etc?

If I find oil behind my throttle body does this mean I need to change this seal? Which seal is it, the one that seals the valley cover to the block and heads?

Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
All LS# engines use some oil. You are just getting broken in with that mileage. I would keep an eye on it but wouldn't start worrying yet. Do you see anything on the back of the car? I usually never use hardly any oil between changes (1/2 qt every 2-3000 miles) and then one oil change it used 1 qt in 1500 and then it seems to be back to 1/2 qt every 3000. Alot of variables like how you drive it etc...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
agentf1 said:
All LS# engines use some oil. You are just getting broken in with that mileage. I would keep an eye on it but wouldn't start worrying yet. Do you see anything on the back of the car? I usually never use hardly any oil between changes (1/2 qt every 2-3000 miles) and then one oil change it used 1 qt in 1500 and then it seems to be back to 1/2 qt every 3000. Alot of variables like how you drive it etc...
I think the drive to Bowling Green from NJ and back will be a good average of how much oil I am actually using. I know the high speed runs :sneaky: probably won't help but the majority of the time I'll be just cruising on the highway. I'm going thru Skyline Drive in VA and then hopping over the Appalachians so that will put a load on her too. The straight run home ~ 800 miles will balance out the hard pulls with highway cruising.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! I actually have a high RPM misfire problem right now and my car is trapping anywhere from 112-115 MPH when it should be trapping 116 or better (stock '02 with Halltech Stinger).

I will be looking into this IMMEDIATELY.

Is there a recall on this part??? My car has no warranty left...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Blue Angel said:
Thanks for the info guys! I actually have a high RPM misfire problem right now and my car is trapping anywhere from 112-115 MPH when it should be trapping 116 or better (stock '02 with Halltech Stinger).

I will be looking into this IMMEDIATELY.

Is there a recall on this part??? My car has no warranty left...

Thanks again!
Sorry TSB's only :cry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts