Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an article on the 03 Mustang Cobra (supercharged) in the latest Motor Trend mag, and they said it will be speed restricted to 155 MPH.

Is this a new government trend to start putting speed restriction on vehicles? I know its aready started in the motorcycle world in 2001 models.

BTW -- apparently the C5s are not speed restricted (yet??) since I have seen people post that they have hit anywhere from 175 (stock car) to over 200 MPH depending on their mods, etc.

Comments??
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I would think it is because of the limits of the vehicle, Chevy did the same thing with the Syclone and Typhoon, perhaps even the GN if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yes, I agree with the vehicle limit theory.....the car would probably start dropping Ford parts all over the road. And we all know what that can do to a F1 Supercar tire.:lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
FWIW, none of the previous Mustangs have speed limiters built into them. Granted, most could not do more than ~155-160 anyway in stock form. This one obviously _could_.

But I know guys who've modded their Mustangs and gone well over 155mph.

So maybe its a govt. deal w/ the manufactuer or an insurance thing (although I wouldn't think the manufacturer would care too much about that).

I also agree that it would not be really safe to take a Mustang above 165 or so ... not b/c parts would fall off, but b/c honestly its aerodynamics are not the best at speeds above this. Just the facts.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I believe BMW does it to the M5 and M3. As well as MB. I'm sure theat their will be a chip to defeat the limiter.

·
Registered
765 Posts
250 kph for the cars and 300 kph for the superbikes seems to be a common thread, as there is not much call for speeds over that on the street.

300 kph/186 mph is an agreeed upon limit for most of the big superbikes and has kind of taken on an unofficial limit for the makers of the bikes to avoid being regulated into it.

In addition, take a look at what tires are on the car and what speed rating they may be considering, with all the issues that Ford ahs with tires.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
Yes, I agree with the vehicle limit theory.....the car would probably start dropping Ford parts all over the road. And we all know what that can do to a F1 Supercar tire.:lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

Shouldn't be a problem as "we" would be in front.....Right!:lol:

:yeadog: :yeadog: :z: :yeadog: :yeadog: :z: :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 00 Lightning was speed limited to 140. And I do mean limited at 140.

I wonder what it's like trying to land a Mustang at 100 kts.

I tried that in a Cessna 150 and converted it from a tricycle to a skidder and shortened both wings about 6 feet. Made it about as airworthy as a new Mustang... Didn't make any friends that day...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Z0000006 said:
Shouldn't be a problem as "we" would be in front.....Right!:lol:
Not as we're lapping them:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think the aftermarket chip makers paid Ford for that feature.....:lol:

·
3,265 Posts
I just got my MT mag today. They specifically make mention of it not having "the front air dam or large spoiler of the '00 Cobra R" when they discussed the speed limiter.

The tires are Supercar F1s. They'll handle speed well above that, won't they?;)

It's all due to the aerodynamics, guys.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jdogg said:
300 kph/186 mph is an agreeed upon limit for most of the big superbikes and has kind of taken on an unofficial limit for the makers of the bikes to avoid being regulated into it.
Yep, the European governments told Suzuki and Kawasaki (only superbike makers who had bikes that could do 190+ MPH) that if they didn't start speed limiting them they would not let them import them anymore. The US followed suit with Suzuki and Kawasaki and had the same 'gentlemen's agreement" that it would be done. I heard for 2002 the speed is notched down to 175ish and is supposedly going to notch down every year until it hits about 155 .. sounds like a familiar number :D.

The 03 Mustang may very well be speed limited for stability reasons, but I have to wonder what evil lurks in the government halls concerning future speed limiters on sports cars?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If they actually put some thought into designing a real car, instead of dropping some overpowered piece of shit down mustang enthusiasts throats. But the idiots who will spend the $35K plus won't care. If they did they buy a Z06!:lol:

·
Registered
510 Posts
TMiller- I have a 2000 Lightning and it does NOT have a speed limiter other than the aerodynamic wall you hit over 140.
I am sure the chip makers will have a ready market when the new Cobra comes out:)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
ma500

Just for grins, I went and test drove the Cobra......prior to the Z.
I was impressed with the revability of the 32 valve engine, but not the 317rwtq.(or thereabouts).

After the ride, I told the sales manager, (when he asked me why I wouldn't buy one), I said it's UNderpowered......

I told them they needed to at least put the Salleen, or Rousch engine into the Cobra, to make it competitive, with the F bodied SS's, and WS6's.
He said they were, I said NO, the TQ is missing and that is what makes a car........( for straight line use).( The 365 HP SC version would have been an interesting combo).

Funny, I see folks having flame wars over the new one, even if it had 450 HP, it still would be a Mustang......period, end of story....

UNTIL, FORD decides to revamp the Stang, and get it back to a specialty auto, like the original Cobra's.........it will always be a MUSTANG.

You can hang all the turbo's, SC's in the world off the current offering, and bottom line it will still be a Mustang, just dressed up.

Top speed, and 1/4's does not a comparison make, it's how the vehicle is percieved, it's heritage, and how & why it was designed to begin with.

All this said, for a FUN ride......the Cobra's with 400 HP, would be a/ok, but until they figure out a way to get some REAL rubber under the car it will be a moot point, as far as bone stock goes.

And I agree with you, they wanted sticker for the Cobra, @$30 large, I told them for another $15 large, I would much prefer the Z......................

I have been WAITING for 30 years for FOMOCO to bring BACK, the real COBRA..................maybe they will get there someday before I die..............:D :roll:

·
Registered
144 Posts
ma500 said:
If they actually put some thought into designing a real car, instead of dropping some overpowered piece of shit down mustang enthusiasts throats. But the idiots who will spend the $35K plus won't care. If they did they buy a Z06!:lol:
I guess I am one of those idiots. I've had 3 Mustangs, & 5 Corvettes...The most recent being a 96 Mystic Cobra and & 96 Corvette LT-4. After finally finding some tires that would help the Cobra get some traction I got the Cobra where it was almost as fast as the Vette but not at top end ( Cobra & Vette were about the same thru first & second gear but then the Vette would start to pull away). I enjoyed having & driving both cars and at car shows people would come by the Vette and would say "theres another Vette"; but those same people and quite a few more would stop and ask questions about the Cobra (mostly about the Mystic paint and the huge looking engine [32-valve heads]). I sold the Cobra for and ONLY for a 2000 Mystic Gold Cobra only to find out later that it wasn't going to be built. I'm probably lucky I didn't get one then but I don't think Ford has been just sitting on their arse for those two years. Anyway I was now down to just the 96 LT-4 Vette and I sold it to get the Z06. I love the Z06 but I still miss the Cobra and I anxiously await to be able to have a 2003 390 HP Cobra parked in my garage next to my Z06. I like each one for what they have to offer. I like having the BEST of BOTH worlds! TO EACH HIS OWN.

Idiot (I guess)

·
3,265 Posts
TEXZ06 said:

I guess I am one of those idiots. I've had 3 Mustangs, & 5 Corvettes... I like having the BEST of BOTH worlds! TO EACH HIS OWN.

Idiot (I guess)
That's ok. I'm obviously an idiot, too.

As I've said over and over (ad nauseum) the Mustang never was intended to compete with the Vette. Period. Saying its a "lesser" car is fine. It costs substantially less, and you can't say, "I'd just spend the extra $15k for a Vette/Z06/etc". For _most_ people this kind of $$ prices them out of range for the "next step up the ladder". I seriously doubt there are many people who can afford a $50k Z06 that will actually end up buying the new '03 Cobra. If you are in the market for a "sporty" or "sports" car, then you enjoy driving too much to make your car purchase a frugal investment.

"It's still just a Mustang"...is the same argument I hear from any Viper/etc owner that I throttle by 300+' at the dragstrip. "And you're still a pompous *ss" should be my response. It's an _excuse_...people are full of them. Get over it. You lost. Have some class.

This doesn't make the Mustang "better" than the slower car. So what? I built the engine combo, suspension, brakes, etc with what's b/w my ears and with bloodied knuckles. It's a show winner as well, and its fast as crap (and not just in a straight line).

No reason to be disrespecful just b/c its not the car _you_, of all people, choose. That is lame. If the kid down the street has a slammed Honda Accord EX with a "fart can" exhaust tip and it turns his crank...hey that's ok. Would I buy it? NO! But maybe that's what _he_ can afford, and he's proud of it. At least its a clean car that gets taken care of...unlike the rest of America who thinks vehicles are for transportation only and send the Smog Nazi's screaming at us/SEMA.

A Cobra/Mustang owner is a car enthusiast just like us. I will never buy a car based on "prestige". I don't need the world looking at me. I buy it b/c its what I can afford and I'm a "car nut", so I will go for the best performing car I can reasonably afford.

People wonder why Vette owners get stereotyped...and then their cars get keyed. Those vandals may just be jealous, or they may see "us" as a bunch of stuck-up jack*asses. Now there's something to be proud of. :mad:

·
Registered
144 Posts
WA 2FST,
What you said...I agree 100%

Was that a post of yours recently that said something about running as Hallsville Drag Strip on Feb 10? If so keep me posted...I live about 10 miles from there & would likd to come watch you run.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I think

At least form MY perspective.......the saying, "It's still just a Mustang", isn't a slam........it is what it is...........

Like a Camaro is "Just a Camaro', or a Trans Am is "Just a Trans Am",/makes NO diference in how FAST you can make it go, any of them..............

They are what they are.............not necessarily good,bad, other.......

When we/you/I get into rants about WHOSE is the fastest(non stock), WHOSE handles best, (non stock), we/You are missing the point.............

It's NOT about speed.........it's not about slamming a guy's ride........

It's just reality................

Bottom line, when ANYTHING is manufactured.........it is "What it is".

Nothing derogatory meant, or intended.............

;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts