Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hate to say it, but it’s time to part with my beloved Z. I just got married (and we are raising a 4-yr-old) and we want to build our dream house. I hope to replace my Z in a couple of years even though I think the C5 looks much better than the C6. At any rate, many of you guys know how I feel, and it seems that selling my car now is just the best thing to do. So let me give you some details about my car.

General information: ’03 Z06, 14k miles, Quicksilver exterior, black interior, 6-speed. All mods were done professionally by the race shop manager for Rathmann Racing here in Melbourne, FL when they were running World Challenge GT. Every mod was done to the highest quality with NO corners cut and to look stock. I’m a perfectionist and yet my expectations were exceeded throughout the entire process. My intention was to build a car I could autocross regularly with occasional track time at Moroso and / or Sebring and sporadic trips to the local strip. Due to unforeseen seen circumstances and my schedule, I was not able to road race it or attend more than one autocross session. I visited the local strip on occasions and grandma launched only. (NO hard launches!) So the car has never been abused. I drove it 2-3 times a week locally since May 2003, hence the low mileage.

Handling mods: wider rear track achieved using custom forged aluminum Hickock Sprint 18” wheels (with custom offset), ACP fiberglass wider rear fenders professionally painted to match car, Lingenfelter mini-tub, lowered 1.5” to use inverted Penske shocks. GM Racing T1 composite F/R leaf springs, GM Racing T1 F/R anti-roll bars, heavy duty heim links. The car has been scaled and aligned, and dialed in to give extremely good road racing handling with exceptional autocross prowess while maintaining high-speed straight-line stability. (In other words, not too much toe out.) The suspension is surprisingly quiet. Lastly, Earl’s steel braided brake lines.

Safety: Brey-Krauss fire extinguisher mount with halon fire extinguisher, Brey-Krauss lap belt mounts for both seats, Simpson cam lock 5-pt harness for both seats with quick-release clips on lap belts for easy storage in back of car when not in use, seats have been professionally altered to allow for anti-sub belt to slip though opening in seat (looks great!). Also has a Wolfe Racecraft chromoly 6-pt (black powder-coated) roll bar with removable door bars with an add-in rear crossbar for placing the shoulder harness belts at the proper height and allowing for a camera mount at the proper height.

Power mods: Blackwing air intake, Breathless Performance Power Air Duct bridge, MTI Stage 2E heads at 11:1 compression, MTI C1 cam, Melrose headers (1 ¾” primaries, 3” collectors), Random Tech 3” off road intermediate pipe that replaced my cats, Random Tech 3” x-pipe, B&B Bullets, TNT 75-150hp nitrous system (two 15# bottles with quick-detachable aluminum brackets, two bottle heaters, two bottle blankets, pressure gauge, and purge system, MSD window switch, shift light module, and TPS switch for WOT operation). The nitrous install is incredible and the nicest I’ve seen on any car. All tuning was done on the dyno at DiabloSport (the company that writes the software for Predator) in South Florida and downloaded into the Predator unit that comes with the car. The car is currently tuned to operate at the 125hp nitrous setting which provides a dyno-proven increase of 125hp peak rwhp, 195hp rwhp at the mid-range rpm, and a maximum of 250 rwtq. This was done prior to the Melrose header / Random Technology installation (previously using TPIS headers) and the car was at 500 rwhp / 600 rwtq on a fairly new Dynojet 248C. (The ¼-mile mph is 130mph!) The nitrous switches are nicely mounted behind the ashtray cover and include the arming switch, purge switch, and 3-way bottle warmer switch to warm either Bottle A or Bottle B. Each bottle has its own blow-down line through steel-braided AN-type hoses.

Other drivetrain mods: Exedy twin-disc clutch, DTE differential brace for tranny / rear diff., and custom-fabricated aftermarket racing pedals with a nice look but to allow for super-easy “heel-n-toe” shifting.

Cosmetics: floormats, Z06-405hp badge on ashtray cover, and a red LS6 badge on top of the throttle body. 99% of the money was spent on performance parts that really work and made to work with each other.

Contact info: call Stephen at 321-258-3267 (cell) or email me with questions at [email protected] (Note that there is an underscore _ between the “s” an “e”.)

Cost: Over $20k invested over the cost of the car when bought new at just 12 miles. I am the original owner. I will lose money, but need $50k for everything above. I also have the stock rear fenders that will go with the car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS: Please feel free to check out some photos in the concourse section. I have other pictures I can email if needed. The wheels and rear fenders give the car a distinct look that you never see on other C5s or Zs.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Steve, I guess you finally made that "tough" decision we talked about. I know the feeling so very well as I had to make the decision to sell mine back in April. Some one will get a very good car.

I can tell those of you who check this one out that it is an extremely well done car. I know Steve very well and the guys at Rathman Racing did a lot of really good work on his car. Steve is a fanatic (meant in the good sense) when it comes to doing things. He thinks everything out very well and makes decisions based on good solid research. I have seen and ridden in this car a number times. There is no "sneaking up" on anyone with this car. It not only looks great but it sounds unbelieveable. It is one mean Z06.

Good luck Steve. Give me a call this weekend if you plan on going out for a cruise.

Don

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys, for the compliments and kind words. I really love the car and hate to sell it, but the rewards of seeing my family into a new home trump keeping the car. I never thought I'd feel this way, but it's nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts