Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here we go...another excuse removed from me. Bob Hill and I traded engines. He had an crate 04 with just 1K miles on it and my 2001 had 20K! Since he decided to officially retire his car from racing, but still needed a good motor, we decided to swap motors and exchange $4K for everything.

I got it installed and just got the dyno results - it improved 10 HP from 5K rpms on up, but the low end numbers (including torque) were exactly the same. So obviously my 01 was a pretty good engine, but this one looks to be better. We'll see if those numbers actually equate to lower lap times now.

For those of you who wondered, my 2001 was an original engine direct from the showroom floor and never cracked open. I watched the car go thru the Bowling Green line back in 2000 and was even the first one to start it! I did upgrade the valve springs (to 04 specs) last year and it did have the 04 upgraded air box opening and the 04 manifolds. I knocked the guts out of the pre-cats in 03 so I guessed it was down on the pure 02-04 engines by about 10, and I was right. That 01 has at least 20K miles on it. The clock registers 19.5, but my speed sensor went out last year and I'm guessing I put another 1-2K miles on it before getting that fixed so the total is easily over 20K. I filled up my original log book and started another one, so that makes 35 actual SCCA races with 13 National wins and numerous regionals over the past 5 years. Along with the actual races, there were of course plenty of test days and 20+ DE events in that car too. I never got a DNF due to mechanical failure although I did wreck at Daytona and got taken out at this year's Roebling event. It never failed to start and would burn about a quart or two of oil over a long weekend. It just sat from August 2002 until April 2003 while I was in Kuwait. :(

Back in 01, before I knew what I was doing with it, I sent the computer off to be programmed and assumed it was right. Up until 2004, after going against guys running new engines, it was obviously lacking quite a bit coming off the corners. When I took the car to Phoenix for a complete checkup, their dyno/programming guy showed me that the air/fuel mixture was a rotten 13.7 to 1 up until 5500 rpm which explained why it was lacking so much. OBTW, did I mention I just ran plain ol 93 octane until 2004 too. Once Joe and company got thru with it, it was certainly stronger and running 100 octane all the time. I told Joe when he originally did it that I wouldn't divulge how much power it had...and still won't. It registered the 3d fastest lap time at last year's runoffs and the only Corvette with a faster time was JH.

Bob Hill in Fayetteville, NC (where I'm about to move) has the engine and is about to drop it into his car. If anybody wants a strong, reliable engine, I'm sure he'd take offers. ;) I hope the new one is at least as good and lasts as long as the old mule!! I couldn't ask for anything more!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Nice read, very interesting. Long live your new power plant. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Chris,
Good luck with the new motor. :thumb:

That will really help at the long front straight at Memphis. I think that straight is something like 4000 straight long. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts