Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today - and first impressions are it's a little stiffer and "bouncier" than the '01 shocks were.

Am I getting the correct SOTP feel out of this? Is there a settling in/bedding in period for new shocks?

-Paul

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
RC45 said:
today - and first impressions are it's a little stiffer and "bouncier" than the '01 shocks were.

Am I getting the correct SOTP feel out of this? Is there a settling in/bedding in period for new shocks?

-Paul
No brake in period for the shocks. I take it you got your starting problem fixed? :cheers:

·
Registered
830 Posts
The '04 Sachs shocks were my first mod. I also lowered the vehicle, so it's hard to say what the shocks did and what the lowering did. I know after the combination the car was stiffer and I could feel more feedback from the vehicle. I don't have any info regarding just a shock swap.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IT L GO said:
No brake in period for the shocks. I take it you got you starting problem fixed? :cheers:

Yes, thanks - the folks at Lone Star Chevy in Houston say it was an "internal starter" issue.

Extended warranty covered the $540.00 repair bill.

The new starter really whines a lot... may need to have them take a look at it.

BTW, they turned the labour on fitting the shocks and brakes because "they couldn't get to it for a couple weeks".

Go figure.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Resist said:
I was going to put 04 shocks in my 03 until I read that the difference isn't much for street use.
It will be the way I drive... ;)

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Paul...I called you back today...got your voicemail. I'd like to hear more about the shocks tomorrow. :cheers:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Resist said:
I was going to put 04 shocks in my 03 until I read that the difference isn't much for street use.
I felt difference between the 03-04 shocks was very subtle as well. However, the difference between 01-04 shocks is major.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Anyone here have 04 shocks for sale?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Nice... I decided to go with the Bilstien Sports and love them... much better control (esp. rebound) than my 42,xxx mile '01 shocks.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SRV said:
Thanks for responding and posting the link. :cheers:

However, I was already aware of the page. Before I order from them, I was hoping someone had a set they didn't want. I've seen used ones go for $150-200 which is a nice price-break if one can score a set.
Aren't used shocks like used condoms... not knowing where they've been they not wise to use..? ;)

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
RC45 said:
Yes, thanks - the folks at Lone Star Chevy in Houston say it was an "internal starter" issue.

Extended warranty covered the $540.00 repair bill.

The new starter really whines a lot... may need to have them take a look at it.

BTW, they turned the labour on fitting the shocks and brakes because "they couldn't get to it for a couple weeks".

Go figure.
I replaced my starter a couple of months ago with a new one from GMPARTSDIRECT and mine also stays engaged a little longer than I am used to. When I did it in order to avoid future problems I also put a Thermo Tec heat blanket wrap around the starter for protection since I installed the LG Long tub headers and it ia hot down there. In addition I put in a remote starter solenoid to move that function out of the high heat area. Better safe than sorry since any repairs to items down there require the removal of the headers starting at the catback exhaust and forward.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had an 01 and traded it in for an 04. The biggest difference I felt with the shocks are on a fast curve with a bump. The 01 felt like the rear end would come out. The 04 is very stable and gives you more confidence in the same situation. Other than that, the ride itself feels the same.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
algarcia1 said:
I had an 01 and traded it in for an 04. The biggest difference I felt with the shocks are on a fast curve with a bump. The 01 felt like the rear end would come out. The 04 is very stable and gives you more confidence in the same situation. Other than that, the ride itself feels the same.
The '04 also has a diff. rate leaf spring (rear I think) and metal sway bar endlinks (instead of plastic) - so I would not expect the '01 to be 100% on par with the '04 yet.

New '04 shocks with 56,000 hard charging mile old '01 leaf springs may also not be the best mix.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet deal you got... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts