Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am newbie and if I am in the wrong forum, please let me know which one would provide the best chance of having my questions answered.

I have been looking for a low mileage (under 5000 miles) 2004 red Z06, I am buying a Z primarily because I prefer the hardtop over the coupe.

This car is going to be used on the streets only and if it ever sees the track, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I recall that the original C5 Z06's were stripped of a/c, power seats, and other weight saving items.

I have never driven the 2004 Z06 so I have no idea how it compares in comfort and driveability to the coupe. I will be test driving a few shortly.

I know of other factory modified production street vehicles that were not user friendly. Not enough sound insulation, not suited to being tied up in traffic, suspension so stiff that every bump is a jarring experience, etc. If the 04Z has a suspension anything like the the stiff suspension in the 1984 Corvette, I think I had better pass on the 04Z because I live in pot hole heaven.

What I would like to find how the 04Z and the 04 coupe compare from the experience of Owners.

What do you think about:
1. Interior noise level from tires and drivetrain (i.e. did GM reduce the sound insulation in the 04Z.)
2. Is the 04Z tranny noisier than the manual in the coupe.
3. Stiffness of suspension.

Does GM have someone who answers these type of questions?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06. :z: :z:

Lot of questions. Using the search function will answer most of you questions.

All Z06's from 2001 through 2004 are essentially the same. The biggest difference is the between 2001 and 2002's and newer.

A/C has been standard on all years.

Other members will answer some other questions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've never been in a C5 coupe (any year) however, my '04 Z06 is a comfortable and pleasing street car. The suspension may be slightly taught but not intrusive. Road noise is mild but can be reduced by the adition of a partition just behind the seats ($100 foam piece or up to $400 upholstered and logo'd partition). The body lines of the Z are much nicer than the coupe (my opinion natch) and the performance both in a straight line and through the corners more than make up for any firmness of the ride. The exhaust note is pleasing. The stock shifter leaves much to be desired but replacements are readily available. Shifter and driveline noise should be equal (Z to Coupe).

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just Sold My 00 Coupe. Nice Ride But No Compaison To The Z I Just Picked Up.02 With 700 Miles. Just Brings One Hell Of A Smile To My Face When I Hit It In Second Gear. What A Rush

·
Registered
3 Posts
Test drove a coupe prior to buying the Z, IMHO the Z actually rides better, with the rear partition exhaust noise it very acceptable for long trips. Other things I like, no run flats, performance. The Z doesn't have the tire pressure sensors, but thats what a gauge is for, passenger seat is manual adjust for weight savings. :cheers:

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 04 Z is my first vette and I will tell you do not even waste your time with the coupe, don't get me wrong it is a great car, but for the price difference the Z is a much better car (I pretty much only drive mine on the streets, hope to take it to the track one day). I have a buddy that has an 02 coupe and I would not trade a Z for a coupe any day. If you have the opportunity to buy a Z, do it.

On another note, you would be surprised how many nice features the Z has, try the memory package/power seats for one.

:z:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I went from a 01 coupe a4 to a 04 Z last year, ill try and answer all your questions, to start off i drove my coupe for 2 years and then my Z for the last year...it is like night and day as far as them both being vettes. the coupes sports seats were nice for long trips but at the same time the Z's seats are not uncomfortable at all,the passenger lacks the power seat on the Z too, the coupe a owned had the Z51 suspension which was a little harsh...especially with the run flats which i did change out and it helped alot, but my opinion definitely changed about thinking the Z would be even harsher, it actually drives smoother then the 01 and i really enjoy it. they did strip out the insulation in the Z but you can buy a complete insulation kit for like $200, (which i will pick up one of these days) i do have a partition and when i just had the borla stingers on it helped alot with the interior noise, but i now have lg long tubes added to the stingers and yes it is %^# loud at WOT, i love it though, in sixth gear cruising the noise level is very tame. as far as tranny noise in the coupe i really couldnt hear and (i think the added insulation) on the Z yes there is some minor noise but once again between the headers/stinger and me always cranking the alpine i have in now i don't notice it, I'm sure a little insulation again would help but its definitely livable. both the Z51 (FE3) and the Z (FE4) suspension are really good but again on the Z take a on ramp at 80 it feels like its on rails and just bout no body roll at all, the 04 shocks were a nice addition as well. over all i am more the happy that i traded up for the Z its a all around awesome machine and as a semi daily driver ( just cant let her sit in the garage on a beautiful day) i can honestly say i do not miss anything with my 01 coupe since a bought the Z, you might lose a few minor conveniences but over all you gain SOO MUCH more. :z:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have driven both and the Z just puts a smile on your face. Better suspension control with less harsh non-run flat tires. (Although run flats would be nice to have). Seats are very comfortable and are the standard export seats from what I understand. The brakes are beyond belief although like many others I have switched to the non-dusting ceramic pads and love them. Not to mention the sound when you step on it. I also especially like the fixed roof no leak/no shake solidity of the car after MANY years of BS t-tops and targas. The engine responds totally differently than the regular C5--much more responsive. Enjoy and let us know what you decide. :usa:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z: and all the best in your quest.
Advice above on driving coupe (6sp for // comparo), then Z should help you decide. :idea:
BL is what you want out of the driving experience. :jammin:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a '98 coupe that I've been slowly modding. It started out with the FE1 (base) suspension. With runflats, it was absolutely horrible. FE1 is Cadillac smooth, but the stiff sidewalls of the runflats would skip across rough pavement. I then replaced the runflats with non-runflats. That's probably the smoothest combo you're going to get for driving on the streets. I then replaced the rims and tires with '01 Z06 rims and Pilot Sports. Cornering traction improved, no noticable decrease in ride quality, but the car still felt like a heavy car with soft suspension. Replaced the FE1 with Bilstein shocks, Hotchkis Swaybars, '02 Z06 springs, and added a chassis stiffener plate which should put it around equal to a Z ride quality-wise. I did all of that at once, so I can't say what had the biggest affect, but there was a big improvement on handling. It now feels like a nimble car that can rip through corners. There was also a big decrease in ride quality on rough roads, so you'll have to figure out which is more important to you. I can easily see how some people would think the Z's suspension is too stiff for bad roads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts