Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided on my long tube header selection, which is I need more research :lol:

anyone experience with a stock z06 with 1-7/8 long tubes, I heard it makes the same power as the 1-3/4 long tubes just at a higher peak, is this the truth? then if true does it mean you really lose low end torque/power ect.? thanx :thumb:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The 1 7/8" are for larger cube bored & stroked 427 engines with heads & cam.

Normal sized blocks do fine with the 1 3/4" primaries which keep the flow and scavanging up, which is necessary. The larger primaries reduce scavanging and reduce flow on the OEM size blocks and thus loose low end torque & HP

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I've decided on my long tube header selection, which is I need more research :lol:

anyone experience with a stock z06 with 1-7/8 long tubes, I heard it makes the same power as the 1-3/4 long tubes just at a higher peak, is this the truth? then if true does it mean you really lose low end torque/power ect.? thanx :thumb:
Sounds to me like you haven't decided yet. Read DJWorm's post one post hundred times and you should by then be a believer. :eyes:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
Unless you're going to do heads/cam, stay w/ the 1 3/4" headers.
Ron

Dr. Ron,
I have the Supermaxx 1 3/4 set-up, are you saying I can't go head/Cam? I thought 1 3/4 was good for all small cube mod's? :thumb: And the 1 7/8 was for the big cube's :ity:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Morzoff said:
Dr. Ron,
I have the Supermaxx 1 3/4 set-up, are you saying I can't go head/Cam? I thought 1 3/4 was good for all small cube mod's? :thumb: And the 1 7/8 was for the big cube's :ity:
You should be just fine doing H/C with those headers. I know a ton of guys here in town with 1 3/4 headers, heads, and cam making 450+ rwhp and 400+ rwtq. I don't think the larger headers help out that much until you get into the larger cube motors. I'm not so sure that I should be using the 1 7/8 headers on my 383...I could be giving up some tq. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
case2307 said:
You should be just fine doing H/C with those headers. I know a ton of guys here in town with 1 3/4 headers, heads, and cam making 450+ rwhp and 400+ rwtq. I don't think the larger headers help out that much until you get into the larger cube motors. I'm not so sure that I should be using the 1 7/8 headers on my 383...I could be giving up some tq. :cheers:

Thanks Case,
That's what I thought :thumb: I thought that the 1 7/8 were only really good when combo'ed with a 383 or 427 :cheers:

Mike

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Morzoff said:
Dr. Ron,
No, I'm not. What I should have said was the 1 7/8 realize the most gains w/ cars w/ a lot of engine work (bigger cubes). You could stay w/ your headers, but the 1 7/8 MAY net you a few more hp or tq, but maybe not. I guess it's case sensitive...PS- I'm no expert, just passing along what I've seen & heard.
Ron

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the 1 7/8 primaries....

Here is my story.....

When I added the headers (to a stock car) with high flow cats I picked up about 5 HP and 5 torque. I was really pissed that I spent all that money for such a little gain. I even posted on the other forum complaining about it. Then I went to the track, I picked up .4 in the quarter, no more complaining for me.

This winter I added a modest cam (230/228), this is when the headers began to really shine, I picked up 44 HP and a whopping 41 Torque.

I say get whichever ones you want, I'm not sure if mine hurt me or not but I do think the smaller ones make better dyno numbers, but my track results proved that the larger ones did help performance quite a bit.

Dave

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
HLN A55 said:
What about the Breathless step headers?
There are made out of mild steel and are prone to rust and are of a mid length tube design. They have one model that has a removable collector to allows has access to the Bell housing without removing the Header. :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts