Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think it is?? I hear the Vararam is supposedly the sh*t. Is there any intake system out there that boasts more hp & tq than the vararam (halltec, vortex, volant, K & N, Granatelli, etc.)? PLEASE let me know!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I heard Hallatech's Trap was a competitor to Vararam, and nothing else was has good as the two, But I think all the CAI and ramairs show the same numbers on the Dyno, But its when on the Street that the top two have better results then the rest!

I installed my Vararam yesterday, took it for a short ride and Did feel a diffrence, thats good enough for my 300 something dollars, If it can trap 2 mph more in the 1/4 then my feeling is TRue :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
Cold air is cold air from any of them. You won't get much ram air hp/tq boost till you are going speeds that you won't normally see in regular street driving. I have a Vortec because it does the job and is generally less expensive.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The VaraRam quality could be better, the install is harder than most. The results are the best of all the intakes. :cheers:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put the Halltech trap on last week and I really like it. I have nothing to compare it to, but I definatly feel a difference plus it matches the red fuel rail covers and looks cool as hell.

DROID

·
Registered
169 Posts
Droid,
I've been looking at the Halltech Trap and the Halltech Stinger for some time now, I also like how it matches the fuel rail covers. What has stopped me from buying that product to this date is the fact that I've heard that it throws codes. What happened when you installed it? Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Vortex Rammer!!!

Less expensive than Vararam
Better build quality than vararam
Easier installation than vararam
Better filter than Vararam
Less likely to ingest water than vararam
Looks cooler under the hood than vararam. (especially the clear box)

This system :jammin: on the highway, especially at speeds over 100mph.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bandz7 said:
Droid,
I've been looking at the Halltech Trap and the Halltech Stinger for some time now, I also like how it matches the fuel rail covers. What has stopped me from buying that product to this date is the fact that I've heard that it throws codes. What happened when you installed it? Thanks
I have an '03 and have not had any codes. I bought mine from LGM and they said it is very few that actually throw codes. The ones that do seem to be the ones that come from the factory on the lean side. The trap makes the car breathe better leaning it out even further out of the proper range bam codes.

DROID

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
will82 said:
Vortex Rammer!!!

Less expensive than Vararam
Better build quality than vararam
Easier installation than vararam
Better filter than Vararam
Less likely to ingest water than vararam
Looks cooler under the hood than vararam. (especially the clear box)

This system :jammin: on the highway, especially at speeds over 100mph.

Stock setup!!!

Less expensive than Vortex (actually Free)
As good quality than Vortex
Fits better in the car than Vortex
NO Installation needed
Lesss likely to ingest water than Vortex
Looks Stock and sleeper like :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From what I heard the Vararam and Trap are a tad better then the rest, so to me If you're going to swap something out for performance which that is the reason everybody switches the Air Intake, then might as well go for the top performer, plus they're about the same price, I think!!

But whatever you got, If it works for you then Its for the best for you :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
:blush:
Bandz7 said:
Droid,

Every system other then stock is said to throw codes here and there on numorous cars, Actually someone said the Halltechs trap was the only intake that worked on the Z06s without throwing codes ect, I trust that person plus the red would of looked great to mathc the fuel rail covers, But I went with my gut and got the Vararam, plus it was Cheaper :blush:

From what I believe and know, get the one that fits you, and the rest will be resolved, those Codes you guys talk about, where would they show? and cant they just be tuned out?

I also heard that the 04s have more problem throwing codes with any CAI then the 02s and 03s :drunken:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't know why, but no codes with Vram or LG's on my 04. Did the Vram first and then the LGs. Really wakes up the car.
Did the idle relearn after each install.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Z06Machine said:
Don't know why, but no codes with Vram or LG's on my 04. Did the Vram first and then the LGs. Really wakes up the car.
Did the idle relearn after each install.

I installed my V-ram yesterday and drove it for 20miles, did I do that wrong? should I have done the Idle relearn? whats that anyway? or how long? thanx

·
Registered
158 Posts
No codes either.
And here is a cut & paste from one of my posts on some other thread...

"I had the zip-tie mod for almost two years before going to the Vararam.
It indeed made a difference, specially for long 3rd gear pulls.

My accelerometer (AP-22) which is always been very consistant, always read between 363-386 peak power, and such numbers were very close to what my car dynoed before I put the Vararam. (Dynojet->370.1 rwhp)
Then, after I did the Vararam, the accelerometer read consistant numbers between 390-410 hp. So, that was proof enough for me that it was working.
On the power curve at speed I've always peaked the power at the top of 1st gear, followed by a 5-10 hps loss in 2nd gear and by a 25-35 hp loss at the top of 3rd gear, but now, the loss was between 5-10 hps only. So, I think it indeed does what it was supposed to do, alleviate the pressure loss caused at higher speeds."

If the air your intake is ingesting is not from the outside, then pressure loss will bite you in the end. As I said, there is a difference between gains and losses. And also, a way of gaining is by avoiding losses, which is exactly what VR does. The C5-Rs use a very similar setup (with two TBs tho) than the VR setup.

:cheers:

GB.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
FlosyZ06 said:
i would also like to know what an idle relearn is.

thanks.
I have seen a few more complex variations on this but basically:

1) Start the car and let the coolant temp get above 176 degrees
2) Let it run for 5 minutes
3) turn the engine off for 30 seconds
4) Start it back up and you should be done

Variations include disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes first, turning the ac on while doing it then doing it again with the ac off, pulling fuses beforehand.

Maybe someone who knows more can elaborate.

- Charley

1 - 18 of 18 Posts