Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested in some driving feedback from some of you very seasoned racers on this forum. I know it is hard to tell a lot from seeing one hand on the steering wheel and a video shot out the windshield, but any tips are appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here is 10 minutes of video from the AROSC Time Trial practice at Buttonwillow. The first couple laps are of me and Z06Machine lapping closely together. We were work on lines until I spin. Three minutes after my spin I catch slower traffic and the passing is frequent at times.

Click here for a blast of a ride in a stock Z06 running Hoosiers and some aggressive alignment.
http://message.viditalk.com/ver12/showvideo0313.asp?vid=38503.231855-5599

Go here to sign-up to drive with other Z06 forum members June 18-19th at Fontana.
http://www.speedventures.net/6-18-2005_event.asp

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see a lot of views on this thread, but no comments.... Why is that?

I have another 10 minute clip of video from this session that has a ton of passing going on. Other than my spin out on this clip, the other clip is much more interesting. I pass Mustangs, Porsches, a viper, BMWs, etc.

Do you guys have any interest in seeing that clip?

:-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Olitho said:

I have another 10 minute clip of video from this session that has a ton of passing going on. Other than my spin out on this clip, the other clip is much more interesting. I pass Mustangs, Porsches, a viper, BMWs, etc.

This clip is very enjoyable. :thumb: :thumb: Love to see the other clip. :ity:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Olitho said:

Very nice. Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, I'm not as seasoned of a racer as I would like to be, so I can't offer you any feedback. Everything looked good from where I was sitting though. :D

Sal

·
Registered
137 Posts
Olitho-- any walls/barriers in the infield configuration @ Cal-Speedway ? I am a beginner -would like to join you @ Cal Speedway- but want to learn with the least amount of obstructions on the track in case of a mishap............

I sent a e-mail to Speedventures, but have not heard back on this question...

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Great vid. :ity: Thanks for sharing & keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Fstvet1:

If you are new to the track, just come out and watch at first. That is what I did my first two times out. I also got a ride along one session and then I figured, "Hey, I can do this."

I have never driven the infield and California Speedway, but from all the pictures there are walls to hit, as opposed to Buttonwillow and Willow Springs (big track and little track). I spun 4 -times one day at Buttonwillow and just got my car all dusty. I trip to the detailer and she was as good as new.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
You need a rear mount camera.........All I see is my big Silver Ass. Not sure how you can run a full second + faster when you are always behind me :) humor

Right wrong or indifferent here is what I see.

Into the straight you apex earlier than I and it works big time.

Into turn 1 you apex earlier, but looks like you are a bit late on the gas. I play with this one and try to be a little late and hard on the gas when I see the apex. In other works I am later, but on the gas earlier.

The off ramp. Hard to tell as we always seam to be braking with someone in the way. When that happens I end up in second and have a ton of torque out of the bowl. Not sure it's faster, but I think I hit the 3rd gear rev about 20 yards sooner when I do this. I have to squeeze it, not punch it or she wants to come around, but this puts you right in the sweet spot of the torque band and she just jumps.

You seam to have a much more consistent and faster line through cottons corners and entry to the back straight. You clearly pick-up time on me here.

Riverside - Hum, you go low and I go high. We end up about the same spot. But you may have been slowing for me. It looks like you get there faster , but it looks like I am getting a jump on the exit. I would like some help here too. Nothing seams to feel quite right. When I go high I look for the berm, turn in and floor it. Still know there is a bunch of time here either way. I will be trying your line next time out.

Magic Mtn. You are on the gas earlier and make up time here.

The sweeper I can't really tell, we use a similar line, but all the esses approaches ended up a bit different. I think it's faster when we just clip the 1st left berm on the esses rather than drive over it. I apexed too early once and drove over it. I think this one is faster a little later as I tend to squeeze the throttle slower when driving over it.

The differences in our lap times IMO appears to be that

A. You are faster exiting both corners leading to the longest straights.

B. You are more consistent and don't overdrive the car through Cotton Corners.

C. on the gas earlier over Magic Mtn.

D. I think you may be a touch faster through Riverside

Where I think you can earn time:

Turn one exit speed

Speed to cotton corners out of the bowl - Higher rev limiter would help a bunch here.

Riverside

Maybe the approach to the esses

With a data logger in the AS car they found that every confidence lift was about .40 , IMO, that would put you in the 57's and 55-56's if Riverside is worth .80.

They did a ton of logging on this track. Our best drivers TPS readings showed two slight confidence lifts through the esses. At the end of the test day he shaved .65 through this segment with no lifts at all. The lifts were at berm 1 and out of the last berm, a slight reduction in throttle going to the short straight. Watching this I can almost feel where I am lifting a bit. BTW our driver still holds the AS record here CCW from 1996.

See You at Calif Speedway......

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Z06Machine for a great review. I agree with much of your assessment. You, too, are faster out of many of the turns I have observed. You do carry more speed out of the sweeper and straight into the esses. I also noticed the same out of the off-ramp turn. I will follow your advice and try and wind out my exit from the apexes a little better and squeeze on the throttle a little better and harder. I can definitely see you adding car lengths on many of those exits.

I seem to make up for a lot of my exit sins with some late deep braking and trail-braking into the turns. We need to get out and do follow-the-leader so again so we can shore up some of our turns!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts