Corvette Z06 Forum banner

11.01 @ 125.89

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Morzoff 
#1 · (Edited)
Two hours to atco due to detours.(live 55 minutes away).
Atco was a zoo, as one might expect on a friday night. Got there around 7:00. Hoping for 3 passes. Yeah right! Air was great. Temp was about 45 but the northeat wind made the track cold. Got in the slicks lanes and up to the box when some turbo miata race car slammed the wall coming out of the burnout. After they got that cleared up the track was too cold so they wouldn't let the faster cars run and we had to get back in the staging lanes and wait. They wanted all the 200+ street cars to go before they'd let our lane go. What a nightmare! Now I'm hoping for one pass, but have no idea how the tracks gonna respond so I decide not to powershift.
Monster burnout, tires around 11 psi cold, Don't even know what I came out at (5000+).The race car in the left lane blows up as I'm coming out.Speed shifted at 6500 for a shakedown pass. I was pleased with the results. 11.0 at 125+ on a 1.46. Got a little squirly on the high end and had to drive it thru the traps. This car really pulls hard. Probably could have got one more run but didn't want to wait another hour+ and risk not going. 10.8x's are gonna have to wait.
Despite only getting one pass and the obstacle course I had to take to do that it was worth it. What a rush! I also got to meet with some Corvette enthusiasts and chat about the car and drag racing in general. Several guys asked me where I'm hiding the bottle also. :rofl:

See less See more
#2 ·
Rob,

Nice . . . and all that w/ 433 rwhp

I guess tires mean so much since you were able to cut a 1.46 60 ft

Is your rear beefed up with the harded output shafts, braces, etc.?

Rich

#4 ·
I'm a new vette owner. Sounds like your ride is pretty hot.
Would you please enlighten me as to what this means and how much would it run $$: 3xcam,VR,TPIS,4.10's,LSX,EWP,Ghl's
Thanks,
Stumbo

#5 ·
Stumbo said:
I'm a new vette owner. Sounds like your ride is pretty hot.
Would you please enlighten me as to what this means and how much would it run $$: 3xcam,VR,TPIS,4.10's,LSX,EWP,Ghl's
Thanks,
Stumbo
It's a cam only car with bolt ons.(vararam intake,headers,4.10 gears,90mm throttle body,electric water pump, ghl exhaust) The exhaust and ewp will not gain you et. I believe powershifting with sticky tires will gain about .2. This is a Cartek 3x cam only package.

#6 ·
robz ...what kinda tires are you on?...do you just dump the clutch off the line? or do u slip it?..i have a very similar setup but am on bfg DR's...just tryin to figure out the best way to come off the line.
thanks
Steve

#7 ·
DisturbedZ06 said:
robz ...what kinda tires are you on?...do you just dump the clutch off the line? or do u slip it?..i have a very similar setup but am on bfg DR's...just tryin to figure out the best way to come off the line.
thanks
Steve
Anytime you want to run your car, i'll try and meet you at etown and give u some tips. I'm running et streets but also have experience with drag radials. In general I would run the bfg's around 16 psi and always do a good burnout. (for me never too much). 4000 -5000 depending on conditions and track prep. and slip clutch slightly. It takes alot of seat time. Come to the corvette challenge you'll learn alot. Alot of people around to help, don't be shy. I cut some low 1.5x's on bfg's.

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice/offer rob.I should be out there on friday for test and tune, maybe if i see some good results friday i'll make it out on sunday for the challenge. I'm kinda gunshy to jump right into that since i'm still very inexperienced w/ racing the vette. But i'm sure i'll be in it soon enough.

#11 ·
WOW :thumb: All that from a cam kit?Impressive. :thumb:

#14 ·
rob, thats some serious driving! do you power shift in all gears? and i have a question about tires, I use the ET streets too but after braking my shaft im thinking about getting rid of them, what do you advise while launching? should i do a big burnout with the ET streets if the track is too sticky? what PSI did you have them on? and because i have the exedy twin disk clutch, is it better to slip the clutch while launching at 4000 rpm? thanks man, i know it turned out more than one question but i really want to do good on my next time to the track. thanks , Ebrahim.

#16 ·
405bhp said:
rob, thats some serious driving! do you power shift in all gears? and i have a question about tires, I use the ET streets too but after braking my shaft im thinking about getting rid of them, what do you advise while launching? should i do a big burnout with the ET streets if the track is too sticky? what PSI did you have them on? and because i have the exedy twin disk clutch, is it better to slip the clutch while launching at 4000 rpm? thanks man, i know it turned out more than one question but i really want to do good on my next time to the track. thanks , Ebrahim.
I don't powershift but was going to on my next run. In my experience powershifting is good for .2 with proper tires and traction.Sometimes the air is great but if the track is too cold the powershifting might actually slow u down. It was a toss up. Unfortunately I only got one pass and I haven't tracked the car much lately. I believe this car has a 10.79 in it esp with the mph I've been trapping with low 60' times.
Anyway, keep the et streets, just air them up and you'll be alot less likely to break. Always do a good burnout. Start at 16+ psi and try to slip the clutch. The dual disc is slippable just more difficult. Try finding the grabbing point when you stage and hold it there instead of holding the clutch tightly to the floor so you only have to come up an inch or two before it grabs but you get more feel that way. I bet lighter shoes would help as well. I ve taken 2 passes ever on that clutch(exedy) and WAS able to slip it.
I would start coming out between 4-5000 with aired up tires and take it easy for the first 2 passes in order to get the feel for the track and how your car is responding to it. This way, when its time for that max. effort run you know what to do.(ie. rpms, tire pressure,powershift or not, which lane is best,etc...). I always take a scientific approach and try to get a feel for the track that day. The key is to get some clean runs (maybe with higher tire pressure and not powershifting) so you can analyze the data and correct for the next time. Goodluck bro.

#17 ·
Don Benson said:
Nice....I knew you couldn't resist that barometer and cool air, though I think the humidity was high. What was the DA when you ran?

Don
Donny, the da was similar to the track day we had in the fall but the track was a little too cold. I bet the surface was 40 degrees. (guessing -1000). My ideal day would be bright sun 45 degress with a high barometer and no wind and aloty of slicks cars. I think the sun is key. I was all over the place on the high end, friday night. :eek2:

#19 ·
robz said:
I don't powershift but was going to on my next run. In my experience powershifting is good for .2 with proper tires and traction.Sometimes the air is great but if the track is too cold the powershifting might actually slow u down. It was a toss up. Unfortunately I only got one pass and I haven't tracked the car much lately. I believe this car has a 10.79 in it esp with the mph I've been trapping with low 60' times.
Anyway, keep the et streets, just air them up and you'll be alot less likely to break. Always do a good burnout. Start at 16+ psi and try to slip the clutch. The dual disc is slippable just more difficult. Try finding the grabbing point when you stage and hold it there instead of holding the clutch tightly to the floor so you only have to come up an inch or two before it grabs but you get more feel that way. I bet lighter shoes would help as well. I ve taken 2 passes ever on that clutch(exedy) and WAS able to slip it.
I would start coming out between 4-5000 with aired up tires and take it easy for the first 2 passes in order to get the feel for the track and how your car is responding to it. This way, when its time for that max. effort run you know what to do.(ie. rpms, tire pressure,powershift or not, which lane is best,etc...). I always take a scientific approach and try to get a feel for the track that day. The key is to get some clean runs (maybe with higher tire pressure and not powershifting) so you can analyze the data and correct for the next time. Goodluck bro.
thanks rob for this great advice, ill be heading to the track on the 28th and hoping to get a new best.
thanks dr.ron, im keeping the MTs..this is the only way to get a good 60 ft :cheers:

#20 ·
Great run.

Detours? :jawdrop:

Do I need to leave at 6:30 a.m. tuesday morning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.