Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went out to HRP this evening for a little instant green action. It was cold and windy tonight the weather shows 7mph, but, think it was closer to 10-15. The temperature was between 48 and 51 degrees when I got there and went down to 45 when I left.

Current Temp: 45 °F
Wind Chill: 41 °F
Wind: north at 7 mph
Humidity: 58%
Dewpoint: 31 °F
Barometer: 30.46 " and rising

The wind was blowing straight down the track, so you were running into a headwind.

My first pass was my usual blow off pass. I launched to hard and the car spun. 2.218 60' - [email protected]

My next pass felt pretty good. Not great, but good. The car launched ok, I hit the rev limikter in 1st, but the rest of the pass was pretty solid. I got pulled over at the timing stand.

60' - 1.915
330 - 5.130
1/8 - 7.777
mph - 93.56
1000 - 10.055
1/4 - 11.992
mph - 114.73

Ok, I was given the warning and sent back to tech for the usual "Don't do that again". Ok, sure :)

I tried to cool the car down since there wasn't much of a crowd, and I could almost drive right up to the line. I decided that if the pass felt the least bit off, I would abort it, and see if I could get a "good" run in.

I made two more passes. One felt good, but the clutch stuck to the floor again and didn't come off until the car hit the rev limiter in 1st.

It was a 1.919 60' [email protected] on the brakes hard.

The next pass I had the car cool, and then something screwed up on the far end, so I had to sit there with both bulbs on and staged and let the car get hot, and the tires get cold. The car spun so I just coasted down the track.

I brought the car back around the coolant was at 194. The car launched pretty hard for radials, and bumped the rev limiter in 1st. The pass felt solid, so I stayed with it.

When I got to the timing stand I got the usual grief. I went through all the hooplah, and picked up my slip.

60' - 1.852
330 - 5.055
1/8 - 7.709
mph - 93.32
1000 - 9.992
1/4 - 11.933
mph - 114.53

So, I guess its time for a cage either that, or I get 1 or 2 passes per trip to the track.

Anyhow, I met another new Z06 owner Brutus0725 he just traded in his 2000 coupe for a 2002 z06. He was out there with paper tags and running some 12.3s. Which I thought was good for a new car with limited seat time. He was really cool, and I had a good time talking with him. Anyhow, I was pleased to see the car picking up still.

And as always, the car is 100% bone stock down to the paper air filter, and these passes were made on the stock radials.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Nice run. Cage time ,I guess.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Really nice runs! ...... The hell w/ the cage, the weight will only slow you down!;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
damn! nice going j-rod!

I was there last night from 7:45 - 8:15. I had an EB 2002 with 437 miles on it. Never cooled the car, just straight to the lanes. Made three runs, a 12.7 at 115, an abort on the second, and here's my last run (coolant 207):

60ft... 2.062
330... 5.396
1/8.... 8.111
mph... 91.85
1000.. 10.425
1/4.... 12.388
mph... 113.73

Gees, I thought this was a good run until I saw your post :eek: I need alot more practice launching this IRS (former solid axle stang owner).

How many miles do you have?
what tire psi were you trying (I never altered mine, probably was around 35psi)?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Jarrod, Very good run!! You don't need a roll bar..you need an IHRA track. No problem until 11.49! Ric

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BLU-BY-U - Sorry I missed you. I had just left around that point. I will look for you the next time out. Looks like you and Brutus0725 (Red Z06/Mod Red) with paper tags who was out there would have been a good matchup.

From looking at your timeslip (which is good for limited track time) it look like you need to slip the clutch a bit on the launch. That was the big thing on my car. My ET came down, and my MPH went up. Also make sure that you hold 3rd all the way to 6200-6400. Its very tempting to shift, but holding 3rd is worth et and mph.

I will either be out there Friday or Sunday. I am thinking Sunday though. I want to get some video of the car, so I will probably go out early so I have no crowd, and plenty of light. So, I will look for you.

Powershifter - Yep the IHRA is a little more reasonable. HRP is about 5 minutes from my house. The IHRA track is Over 1.5 hrs away. So, I am kinda screwed there.

To everyone else, thanks...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
J-Rod, 5min away, your very lucky. NED is 72mi from mine. Ric

·
Registered
722 Posts
J-Rod, thanks for the tips. I won't be out there next weekend, but I'll let you know when I do go back.

See ya soon.

:cheers:

JB

·
Registered
722 Posts
J-Rod said:
That was on the stock F1s at 22psi.
J-Rod, that is truly awesome.. :D

BTW...when I got home, I checked the psi in the rears; 35 psi !!

That couldn't have helped my launches much. Maybe if I drop down to 22 psi and slip the clutch from a little higher rpm, I can bust off some better 60fts like you did.

Damn, I love these cars!! bonestock 11's capable!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone.

But , Power shifter, Butcher, and Ranger all have me covered on the 60' times. I hope I can get close to those 1.7s they are turning. If so, I think I can get into the 11.80s on the stock radials

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Hey, finally a reason NOT to trade up to a '02...........
You get to STILL run on the tracks...............unless you're Ranger or Ric...............:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts