Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to HRP this evening on my new ET Streets. I made about 8 passes. There was about 6" of rain yesterday, so the track had been prepped right before rans began. I left at about 3500 and bogged the car and went a 12.22. I went to 4000 and the car bogged and went a 12.10. I was hot-lapping the car and my temps were in the 205 range. I continued to increase the launch rpms until I launched at 5200 rpm and came away with a 1.75 60' [email protected] I was warned by tech that one more 11 sec pass and I would be kicked out. I cooled the car to 190 degrees and went to launch the car at 5500 rpm. It resulted in a 1.69 60' time. But, I hit the rev limiter and blew the run. I came away with a 1.697 60' [email protected] Had I not blown the shifts I feel confident it would have been an 11.91 pass.

And as the title says, the car is bone stock no mods, no filter, no nothing. Just tires...

I will have a scan of the timeslips ready in the next day or so, and I will post them also.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nice times! Were you "asked" to leave after your second pass in the 11's? :D I'm pretty sure that your car didn't roll off of the assembly line with ET Streets on it , so "Bone Stock" might be a bit mis-leading. Congratulations , and welcome to the promised land!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
J-Rod, Good runs. I have been saying for weil ALL Z06's are capable of 11's it's just a matter of puting the power down. ET streets would seem the simplest way to acomplish it. Not to mention cost efective. Ric

·
Registered
803 Posts
Great nembers! Congrats on your driving skills.

Do you have any idea what the air quality was (AD%, Correction factor, or DA)? I suspect the AD% was 101 or higher.

I have been posting the predictions of Quarter Jr. That is launch rpms up to 5000 produced better and better ETs - including 11 sec runs. You proved it!

If you want to do better ETs, spend your time and money on driving technique - not nickel and dime mods.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will post a more in depth post about the passes I made later today, when I have the timeslips to post, but I thought I would post this info for Roger.

Roger, I don't have the weather info from track, but this is the info for the Houston area. And the temp matches what I was seeing at the track. I am sure the humidity and such are close.

Current Temp: 52 °F Wind: northeast at 5 mph
Humidity: 93%
Dewpoint: 50 °F
Barometer: 30.01 " and falling

Butcher,
After the first pass I was sent back to tech where I was told that if I did it again I would be kicked out. I went back and cooled the car to 190, and planned on a last all out pass at a higher launch RPM. The launch went ok, but I blew my run when I banged the limiter. I figured the run was blown, but I didn't lift. At the end the lady looked at me and said "Well thats it that's #2" so I said "whoops". But of course I had a big goofy grin and didn't care too much.

As for my statement about bone stock, my point is that I haven't made and mods to the car to increase the HP. No airbox, headers, injectors, or anything else.

And, I have been 100% upfront that I did it with the help of some sticky tires. But, as I said, the car itself is still bone stock.

I guess the real trick now will be to see if I can get an 11.89 or faster on the ET streets, or an 11.99 on the stock radials.

TO IMA Z06 and Powershifter, thanks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
J-Rod said:

Roger,
I don't have the weather info from track, but this is the info for the Houston area. And the temp matches what I was seeing at the track. I am sure the humidity and such are close.

Current Temp: 52 °F Wind: northeast at 5 mph
Humidity: 93%
Dewpoint: 50 °F
Barometer: 30.01 " and falling

Butcher,
After the first pass I was sent back to tech where I was told that if I did it again I would be kicked out.....At the end the lady looked at me and said "Well thats it that's #2" so I said "whoops". But of course I had a big goofy grin and didn't care too much.
I need one more bit of info to calc the air quality. What is the track elevation - feet above sea level? Public weather people correct the baro pressure to seal level. You can't use that number for HP corrections.

I know that feeling completely. Septermber '95 I was tuning for a World Title - fastest street car - team, the Budweiser 526 cid Alan Johnson Olds powered blown alcohol 3350 lb '70 Camaro. This was a 7.50 ET limit class. We did a 7.41 @ 190 pass. When the officials came to tell us of our disqualification, we were all standing there smiling, including Augie Bush Jr. The team gave me a framed picture to mark the event. :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
J-Rod -

Thanks! Your numbers yield an Air Density of 100.6%. HP correction is only 0.4% - near Standard Day conditions. You were seeing the full rated LS6 power.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Great times!

Sidenote: thats one of the scraggliest looking set of rims/tires I've ever seen :lol: But then, points aren't given for style are they :)

Nice job.......

JC

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Great times and a great post too, with proof! I always wanted to take the Zee to the track for a timed run, but haven't gotten to know the car well enough yet. Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car has 2900 miles on it. I have heard the same also. Most of the F-Body guys say the motor seems to loosen up around 7500 miles and picks up some more then. We'll see

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
J-Rod, Mine picked up a little at 10,000. I have to say that some of it probably was haveing driven the car more. In your case it is hard to fathem more efficent runs than yours!! I have to say it again just a super et with that mph. Ric

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Very kick ass - I'll look for those ugly ass rims/tires when I get down there to HRP soon. ;)

I'm on 16x8 chrome Camaro wheels, 26" ET Streets.

How much did you have to grind down the rear a-arm to make that rim fit?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts