Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

For those individuals that have a 112 LAS cam (Like the LG GX-3), has anyone had problems with engine service codes? My first thought is that if it is correctly tuned, there should not be any problems. Also, does a 112 idle that much rougher than a 114 or are they similar?

Thank you,

JG853
2002 EB Z06
1996 GS Vert with Black Guts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
JG853 said:
Hello -

For those individuals that have a 112 LAS cam (Like the LG GX-3), has anyone had problems with engine service codes? My first thought is that if it is correctly tuned, there should not be any problems. Also, does a 112 idle that much rougher than a 114 or are they similar?

Thank you,

JG853
2002 EB Z06
1996 GS Vert with Black Guts
I went from a 114 to a 111 LS and could tell quite a difference in the idle quality. But it was a totally different cam. I would think you wouldn't find to many guys that would change out cam's and go from a 114 to a 112. Most of the times we tend to be Conservative on the first cam then go almost all out on the next one. A cam that was considered large a few years ago looks pretty tame now days. We have some guys running over 240 degrees duration at .050" on a daily driver. The envelope is being pushed to the right in a hurry.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have an MTI X1 cam w/ 112 LSA. The idle is awesome but I cant compare to a 114 cause I have never heard one. I had the check engine light coming on all the time, but after the tune I have not seen it since. Standing behind the car while its idling you can see the car dancing back and forth. Its great.... :p

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
It's ALL in the TUNE!!

I had my G5-X2 114 installed in IL and always had hot start idle problems! I had the car retuned/dyno'd here in AZ and it was pretty much the same with less HP, but the hot start thing was still there??
Did AFR's and found the cam and roller lifters eating themselves up!!! :eyes:
They pull a G5-X2 112 off the shelf, slap it in and dyno it.
The graphs are identical except it flattens out 20 HP higher from the heads! Not only that but they did every clearance, drop valve and preload test you can find. :cheers:
With this tune, the car starts and comes to the 850 idle speed
instantly!! Hot, cold, first start or ten in a row!!
The car doesn't shake as much at a light with the 112, but everyone that hears it KNOWS it's not stock!! :rofl:
Mine is a daily and I love it! I don't know what I'm going to do for fun if I ever get a company truck??????????

Ken

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Kens06 said:
It's ALL in the TUNE!!

I had my G5-X2 114 installed in IL and always had hot start idle problems! I had the car retuned/dyno'd here in AZ and it was pretty much the same with less HP, but the hot start thing was still there??
Did AFR's and found the cam and roller lifters eating themselves up!!! :eyes:
They pull a G5-X2 112 off the shelf, slap it in and dyno it.
The graphs are identical except it flattens out 20 HP higher from the heads! Not only that but they did every clearance, drop valve and preload test you can find. :cheers:
With this tune, the car starts and comes to the 850 idle speed
instantly!! Hot, cold, first start or ten in a row!!
The car doesn't shake as much at a light with the 112, but everyone that hears it KNOWS it's not stock!! :rofl:
Mine is a daily and I love it! I don't know what I'm going to do for fun if I ever get a company truck??????????

Ken
Did they, (the installers) know why your old cam and lifter's were so chewed up? Do you think the new tune up with the new 112 cam made it idle better than the 114 or do you think the AFR heads made any difference. Did the compression ratio change with the AFR's installed. When I had my ported/milled LS6 heads installed it made quite a difference in the total sound of the engine. I went up about one full compression ratio. Now the engine has what I call a high compression pop to it. A very strong/powerful sound.

D.J.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
Did they, (the installers) know why your old cam and lifter's were so chewed up? Do you think the new tune up with the new 112 cam made it idle better than the 114 or do you think the AFR heads made any difference. Did the compression ratio change with the AFR's installed. When I had my ported/milled LS6 heads installed it made quite a difference in the total sound of the engine. I went up about one full compression ratio. Now the engine has what I call a high compression pop to it. A very strong/powerful sound.

D.J.
As far as why the cam got eaten, all the people involved did was point fingers elsewhere!!
I don't know what effect the AFR's had on the start issues, but I know Mike did alot of autotap logging and dyno time because I harped on the start issue!! I told him to forget dyno numbers and give me a daily tune!! He did a great job!
I actually lost CR because I didn't want to shave and flycut to get the clearances. When it's 115* out, that high compression pop becomes a ping and I'm already paying $2.59 for 91!!
420 rwhp seems to be more than enough for a daily commuter!
I never seem to have a problem merging into traffic flow from the onramp!!!!!

Ken

·
Registered
895 Posts
Running the TRex cam from Thunder Racing on a 110, stock heads, no flycutting, no cats, and the rest of the stuff listed below.

Had a great dyno tune from MC Racing here in KC and have not had a code since. At idle, or at anything, you know it has one big cam in it.

I wouldn't worry about a 112 as long as you have a good tuner lined up to dial it in.

Steve

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
JG853 . Sent you an email. I am running a 113LSA.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
We are running the 224/228 112 LSA with .600 lift with AFR 205's. Once we got it tuned we have no problems with idle or codes. I have no issues driving it on the street. Drives just like stock until I hit the go peddle hard :sneaky:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I use MTI C1 cam (112 LSA) and after you get the idle tuned and maybe drill a small hole in throttle body blade, it'll work great for you. Just don't lug it around town at low rpms or you'll throw misfire codes and service engine light will come on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts