Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went through the same thing you did. After riding in rpallas Z, I decided to go with the G5X-2 112 LSA. The idle was what I wanted and the car was very fast. I am not flycutting the pistons for reasons mentioned above. Instead, I am having my AFR205 Heads milled to 61cc rather than 59cc. I will still be at 11:1 compression. Like other members have stated, do it right the first time.

JG853

·
Registered
387 Posts
JG853 said:
I went through the same thing you did. After riding in rpallas Z, I decided to go with the G5X-2 112 LSA. The idle was what I wanted and the car was very fast. I am not flycutting the pistons for reasons mentioned above. Instead, I am having my AFR205 Heads milled to 61cc rather than 59cc. I will still be at 11:1 compression. Like other members have stated, do it right the first time.

JG853
You are a wise man. :yeadog:

·
Registered
266 Posts
whyw802Z06 said:
I ordered a cam on a 114 LSA but I'm thinking about going to a 112. Want a mean mean mean sounding car. Do you think I would be able to tell a big difference with a 112 instead of the 114? How does everyone like theirs and what are they? I can sacrifice some driveability for sounding good. I know the difference in horspower is small so I'm just going for sound at idle on this difference.
Simple answer:

Given the same cam on a 112 or 114, the 112 will sound more aggressive.

A little more detail:

Given the same cam specs except for LSA of 112 to 114 you can expect the following charastistics for the 112:
-moves torque to lower rpm
-increases maximum torque
-narrows power band
-builds higher cylinder pressure
-increases chance of engine knock
-increases cranking compression
-increases effective compression
-idle vacuum is reduced
-idle quality suffers
-open valve overlap increases
-closed valve overlap increases
-natural EGR effect increases
-decreased piston to valve clearance

I went with a 112 and have 605 lift without fly-cutting and good clearance. It all depends on your setup to determine if you will have clearance. Best to measure any setup to verify required clearance when the cam is big as all cams are not created equal. Two cams with the same specs can be different. Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Mark

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi Guys,

I will try to give the LG Motorsports party line. We always err on the conservative side, but in general here it is.

With stock heads, UN-touched, UN-milled heads with stock valve size we do NOT require any flycutting of the pistons with any of our cams up to G5X-4 cam.

when we use AFR heads with larger valves and no milling we also do not require flycutting.

It is only when the heads, AFR or others, get milled or have larger valves installed that we recommend that the valve drop be measured and flycutting be performed.

As a general rule we suggest that milled heads have the flycutting performed.

We flycut the notches to .075" depth +/- We usually stay below .080" and at the least we go .065 just to prepare for future "Larger" cam installs.

We have not seen a single piston failure using this method.

The AFR heads have the valves higher up in the head so that is where some confusion comes into play because they still show plenty of valve to piston clearance even with higher compression ratios.

We are still finding the limits of the AFR heads but in general they have quite a bit more clearance than the stock heads.

I hope this clears up some of this. Always remember that if in doubt, it is advisable to check the valve drop and call us.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti LGM

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have a question, which cam gives you that low rpm idle, with that "clurck .......clurck......clurck" sound, I love that big block idle sound, but it seems like these cams give you that sound but it idles much higher :eek:o: :-?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I have a question, which cam gives you that low rpm idle, with that "clurck .......clurck......clurck" sound, I love that big block idle sound, but it seems like these cams give you that sound but it idles much higher :eek:o: :-?
G5X-3 112 LSA will give you the sound you are looking for :z:

·
Registered
266 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I believe that the tune has a lot to do with that. 233/239 600 605 on a 112 LSA and idles at approx 825.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
L G Motorsports said:

Yes, my pistons are flycut. We cut them just incase we want to do some more Cam testing.
Thank you Lou. I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread. :cheers:

·
Registered
624 Posts
IT L GO said:
I thought Lou has changed his mind on this subject and now says that "no fly cutting necessary with stock LS6 head" when using G5X3 on 112 LSA. :cheers:
I could of sworn in the past people were saying not to use a g5x3 on 112 without flycutting first.

That's why I bought the 114 and not the 112.

Still very very happy with my numbers and the sound.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Richard Branca said:
I could of sworn in the past people were saying not to use a g5x3 on 112 without flycutting first.

That's why I bought the 114 and not the 112.

Still very very happy with my numbers and the sound.
Rich,

I think the bottom line is before "buttoning up" the tuner should take a measurement and determine the amount of clearance. If needed, then fly cutting should be done. I know this is what ECS does for all big cam installations, regardless of the lsa on the cam. To date, ECS has yet to fly cut, though the majority of their G5X3 installs have been 114's.

BTW...I love the sound of my 114, and several of our local Z06vette.com members who have heard my cam also love its sound. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82233

Hi Guys,

I will try to give the LG Motorsports party line. We always err on the conservative side, but in general here it is.

With stock heads, UN-touched, UN-milled heads with stock valve size we do NOT require any flycutting of the pistons with any of our cams up to G5X-4 cam.

when we use AFR heads with larger valves and no milling we also do not require flycutting.

It is only when the heads, AFR or others, get milled or have larger valves installed that we recommend that the valve drop be measured and flycutting be performed.

As a general rule we suggest that milled heads have the flycutting performed.

We flycut the notches to .075" depth +/- We usually stay below .080" and at the least we go .065 just to prepare for future "Larger" cam installs.

The AFR heads have the valves higher up in the head so that is where some confusion comes into play because they still show plenty of valve to piston clearance even with higher compression ratios.

We are still finding the limits of the AFR heads but in general they have quite a bit more clearance than the stock heads.

I hope this clears up some of this. Always remember that if in doubt, it is advisable to check the valve drop and call us.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti LGM

·
Registered
48 Posts
g5x2

does the power on a g5x2 end around 6600 . I think i read that somewhere. Just curious. Wish i could hear a g5x2 cam in person. dang snowedz06

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
snowedzo6 said:
does the power on a g5x2 end around 6600 . I think i read that somewhere. Just curious. Wish i could hear a g5x2 cam in person. dang snowedz06
My G5X4 quits at 6700:( Figured it would be higher. T-Rex cam from Thunder Racing is around 6900 I think.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
snowedzo6 said:
I have a G5X2 cam (112) Rev dual springs and titanium retainers bought from LG. They have about 3K miles on them when I pulled them out and went with a G5X3 cam and AFR heads
I will sell them as a set for $400

21 - 36 of 36 Posts