Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I had a chance to go out to HRP Sunday for some "instant green" racing.

My car was on Empty, so I debated on whether to go run on the ET streets and run a light fuel load, or whether to top it off for some ballast and run on the stock radials.

Since I had managed to run the 11.96 on the ET streets the last time out, I decided to go work on my radial tire skills.

I was late getting out there, and the track was packed. I was only able to get three passes in.

The first pass I launched the car at about 3000 Rpm and slipped the clutch. The clutch seemed to stick at about 3/4 of the way when I released it. It popped loose towards the top of 1st gear. I had not encountered this before in the Z. I hope this was a one time event, but I will be keeping an eye on this.

The launch RPM seemed to be low, and the car didn't move as hard as I wanted. Also, as usual on my first run, I banged the rev limiter twice. Usually my first run is a total blow off run , and then I get settled down and actually drive like I am supposed to. Instead of like a total goober. The timeslip reflected this.

60' - 1.947
330 -5.233
1/8 - 7.967
mph - 91.13
1000 - 10.298
1/4 - 12.280
mph - 112.35

I decided to weigh the car with a full ( and I mean completely FULL) load of fuel. The car weighed 3150 without me, and 3338 with me.

The next pass, I was in the lanes, and the guy in front wanted to race me. He was driving a mid 90's white Mustang LX. So, I said sure. He also said that he owned a WS6. He and his friends were nice, and we talked for a few minutes.

We staged the cars, he staged last and they dropped the light on us. He got me out of the hole by about a car length. I launced again at around 3000, since I didn't want to go up in smoke against a rustang.

The car launched about the same, maybe a little less. But, the car started to spin towards the end of of 1st and bumped the rev limiter. I had to chop throttle and shift It also wheelhopped a bit as it went into 2nd. By this point I was 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths behing the mustang. In 2nd nothing changed drastically. But when I stuck it in 3rd, the tables turned. I went from 1 length behind to 3 lengths in front. As most folks have noted the car really works in 3rd gear. I was happy that I beat him, but it was definitely not the best pass I ever made.

60' - 1.973
330 - 5.366
1/8 - 8.120
mph - 90.54
1000 - 10.463
1/4 - 12.445
mph - 114.32

The final pass was at the end of the night. I had hot lapped the car back around, and the temperature was around 205 degrees. I went to pull up, to do my burnout, and watched the car in fron of me leave. It was some silly kid in a 85 LX. He spun hard leaving and got completely sideways at the 330' mark and stopped inches from hitting the wall head on. He also took out the timing markers as he slid sideways. This idiot was spinning when he left and should have chopped throttle long before he got sideways. His car was drifting all over the place and probably ran all of a 15.1. They got on the radio after his little stunt and had someone go find him, and throw him out of the track.

Anyhow, they got the track cleaned off, and put in a new reflector, and I finally got to make my pass. They let me make my last pass by myself. I decide to try and raise the launch rpm, since I the night was over. I launched at about 4200. The car launched much better this time. I was able to keep my revs in the 5000 range all the way through 1st. The car didn't feel like it was spinning at all in 1st. The pass felt good all the way until I got to the 3-4 shift. I got greedy trying to stretch 3rd and bumped the limiter. I knew it cost me some time and mph.

Anyhow, I picked up my slip, and I was happy to see that the car had improved.

60' - 1.903
330 - 5.165
1/8 - 7.873
mph - 91.54
1000 - 10.200
1/4 - 12.181
mph - 112.21

Looks like the rev limiter was worth at least 2 mph and I would guess probably a tenth of a second. Anyhow, I am going to try and go next time and see if I can get those radial times into the magical 12.0 - 11.99 range.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
J-Rod, I know the factory heat shilded the clutch line on the 02's but keep an eye one the flued just incase. As far as running with a full tank with the F1's....I have run my best times just above reserve. Try it with 60-80lb less fuel, bet you will go faster without the weight even on the stock tires. As far as hiting the limiter I am now powershifting at 62-6300 it never hits the limeter and going by my times it doesen't slow me down. Try it!! Ric

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ric, thanks for the info.

I like to run the car as light as possible fuel wise. It was my understanding that many folks had better results witht he car by adding a little fuel ballast to the car on the stock radials. I will give it a try and see how it does on a light load of fuel for the next go around.

My problem is the tach. It is so slow an inaccurate that I never am quite sure where I am RPM wise. I have had several cases where the tach is well below the redline marks and I am on the rev limiter. I am thinking there is a shift light in my future.

Also, thanks for the line info. I may look at changing the fluid or putting the goodridge line on the car. I am hoping it was a one time event.

Since you drag race your car fairy often, do you ever catch a whiff of the clutch. After my passes when I pull my car around and park it for cooldown, I can usually smell hot brakes/clutch. I am assuming it is clutch since the brakes shouldn't get too stinky from a single 100mph stop.

Its not an overpowering smell of a fried clutch, but there definitely is the smell of hot clutch in the air.

To everyone else... Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
J-Rod, Yes some times I smell it, when I do it means I diden't get the clutch out quick enough, with usualy means I was giveing it gas to fast, so I had to compinsate with clutch. Hope this provides an insight. Ric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts