Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the car up to 150 this weekend, very smooth and steady., still had plenty of power left, car was still pulling hard when I got out of it. Didnt take very long to get it up there from 80mph. Quite a rush. Wont be long till I run all way to 170 plus.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Where did you run it? Just curious... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rather not say Big Brother might be monitoring.

·
Registered
670 Posts
No prob. I noticed you were from Riverside and wasn't familiar with the territory or where you can hit speeds of 150 unless it was in the outskirts of L.A.

Not much around N. Calif. either! But I know a couple of spots /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You other Z06 owners in CA who want to get your cars up to speed, full speed, ought to consider open road racing events in Nevada.

There are several such event scheduled between now and end of Summer. These are great fun and you don't have to be a race driver to enter. Actually anyone can enter, even a total neophyite who never raced before. And it's not really "racing" BTW, it is more like a time trail. Two people can do it together and minimum requirement (for Touring run groups, up to 115 mph) is only a helmet for all drivers and navigators.

I'll be at the Pony Express II on September 9th as a course worker. Probably won't have my Z06 yet (still on order) by then, so will take an LT4 instead.

My Son and I entered last year and had a ball. During the actual race I drove and he navigated. Course distance is ~85 miles from start to finish. We averaged low 140s and never even had to worry about getting a ticket. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Go to www.openroadracing.com and check it out. If you register, tell 'em Dennis D. sent ya. And hope to see many of you out there next month with the pedal to the metal having lots of FUN!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hey I live in the UP of Michigan! We don't have a speed limit. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, we have more damn cops out patrolling the roads than anywhere I have ever been, but only the main roads. We need more crime to keep these guys busy. Oh by the way, I have had the car at the red line in 4th and it looks like it was in the 170 plus range:)

My homepage

·
Registered
123 Posts
Z061,

Yeah, that big brother thing.

I live in Claremont, about 10 minutes from you at Z06 speeds. I'm still breaking in the Z06, but I've had my GSX1300R Hayabusa up to 180mph. Hey, SMFCPACFP, have you had the FZR that fast yet?

EZ

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Not yet, but hope to join the club after breaking in the 405 hp beast! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
Zipster /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
If I did high speed cruising it would have been at 135MPH. I would need some pro-school/training to feel enough confidence to cruise at higher speeds. I am considering either Justin Bell or Bragg Smith multi-day programs in the not to distant future. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

On 2001-08-06 15:02, EZ2XLR8 spewed forth this drivel:

I'm still breaking in the Z06, but I've had my GSX1300R Hayabusa up to 180mph. Hey, SMFCPACFP, have you had the FZR that fast yet?

EZ
Yes, that is about the redline on the bike, and it feels more stable. The Vette is a lot twitchier than a motorcycle at speed.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Highest speeds obtained to date:

Ind. Act.
170 ??? 1989 L98 6sp coupe
181 180 1996 LT4 coupe
185 180 1990 ZR-1
187 ??? 2000 GSX1300R

I'm betting a stock 2002 Z06, under ideal conditions, will enable it's owner to become a member of the "180 mph club". Given enough running room (at least 2-3 miles), it should pull to a theoretical 179.6 mph in 5th gear gear just as it touches the revlimit (6600 rpm). With a small increase in rear tire size, top speed could become an incredible 185. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
So far, 150mph. Got there fast, felt bitchin.
Car very stable. BMW Z3 and Audi on my tail disappeared in my rear view.....slowed to 90.....after 10 miles or so they caught up. I let 'em pass and got 2 thumbs up!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I live in the San Fernando Valley and would not even think to do those speeds out here it's to populated.I'd have to go out of the city.G

·
Registered
123 Posts
dsinned,

Nice to see a fellow Z06/Hayabusa owner. If you gotta own a vehicle, you might as well own one that's first in it's class.

BTW the 180mph was actual. I use a Garmin GPSIII+ that gives true speed via satellite tracking.

Maybe for grins I'll make a run in the Z06 and compare indicated to actual and see how much speedo error in the Z06.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A "close personal friend of mine" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif went 165 in "his" '97 coupe. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
"He" has only gotten his Z to 95. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ChrisG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.