Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 15K and need to make serious wheel hp and be able to plant it to the ground so i need some help guys. Thx a lot :zboobie:
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
150 TNT wet kit. 680 bucks

All the power you need brotha :)

Bet someone to race you that thinks your stock for 700 bucks. When you win you made yourself 20 bucks and have an 11sec car and 15k in the bank for investment.

What ever you do be safe and plan it out ahead of time. Decide what you want the end result to be. If you want to spray it? Blow it? Turbo it? etc.

Cheers
G

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Vortec Supercharger and tub the wheels for 335/30/18 DR's or 355/25/19's :z:

·
Registered
830 Posts
See Sig :p

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
For 15K you could S/C the car and upgrade some of the drive line parts to handle the big guns your lookin for.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Zrod is right.
If you are going to do a s/c please spend the extra $ and beef up the bottom end. You'll hear people here tell you that they have had a s/c for 30k miles with no problems. Well there is always an exception. But GM did not build the bottom end of the LS6 for forced induction. Never forget that. You might be, with a conservative tune, ok for a while. But at any given time you'll want to give it all it has, and you need to be confident that the bottom end will hold up. Peace of mind is worth a lot. Good luck, and please be safe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deffinatly great adivce guys and i say i only have 15k but if it cost's a little more money to have peace of mind then i will find the extra cash
Pete

·
Registered
971 Posts
MuffinMan,

Cartek 382 all bore with a Intercooled Magnussen.

If I have to do it all over again, this probably the way I would go and pocket the additonal cash and have a setup that is CARB err visually legal.

Grim

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you want to drag race, drop that cash in an '87 Turbo Buick. Then use your Z06 as a parts getter when the Buick breaks stuff racing...This setup works for me...

Otherwise, yeah you'd better beef up the bottom end of the block. I'm a proud member of the Buick DOTDT (Drove Over The DriveTrain) Club because I pushed the stock block too hard and one little bit of knock and bam- On the good side I pulled part of my camshaft out of a hole in the oil pan...When you do that, you're talking WAY more than 15K to get back in the game.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
MuffinMan,

If I have to do it all over again, this probably the way I would go and pocket the additonal cash and have a setup that is CARB err visually legal.

Grim
How much will Cartek charge for this setup? Does it include any transmission/rearend strengthening?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
MuffinMan said:
I have 15K and need to make serious wheel hp and be able to plant it to the ground so i need some help guys. Thx a lot :zboobie:
Pete
The good news is that you live within an hour of 4 terrific shops who have expertise in performance modifications on C5's...VetteDoctors, Cartek, TTP and ECS. Each will give you a different route to take... and each will help you spend all your money. :D

I'd suggest, if you have the time, to visit each shop and speak with them as to what you want to accomplish. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, even if you think they might be stupid....hey, its your money and IMO, there are no stupid questions. Ask for references and take the time to call/pm/email those references. You can expect to get detailed (and passionate) responses from those referrals, as we all tend to be quite loyal to our particular tuner. :yeadog:

At the end of the day (to use a well worn expression), you will have to go by your own instincts as to whom you feel most comfortable entrusting your car with and ultimately signing the check to. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
971 Posts
will82,

The reason I mentioned it is because it would be around 15k, with great drivabilty, totally reliable, impressive numbers 565/565 to the tires, torque down low, mean sound & looks, looks smog legal from the outside....

Give Dave at Cartek a call.

A good stroker now, you can expect to lay out 25-30k large.

Grim

·
Registered
396 Posts
This reminds me...

I saw an article recently, either in "Corvette Fever" or "Vette" (sorry moderators if I'm not supposed to mention the names, I guess you can edit if that's the case.)

Anyway, the guy at AFR had a coupe with 490 rwhp that was all bolt ons plus AFR heads and a cam. He did some port matching with the heads and the FAST90mm intake manifold. 490rwhp is pretty damn good for a H/C coupe, a Z06 should get over 500rwhp.

So:

$1,500 for Kooks 1 7/8 header system
$250 for vortex rammer
$150 for air bridge
$1,400 for FAST 90mm manifold & throttle body
$100 for new plug wires & kool sox
$560 meziere electric water pump
$230 underdrive pulley
$3,000 afr heads/cam
$1,500 for beefed up rear-end
$1,000 for suspension upgrades,shocks,etc.
$2,000 for major brake upgrading
$1,000 for radiator, thermostat, fan controller

= grand total of $12,690, leaving around $2,500 for installation of the more difficult to install components and tuning.

In theory, this setup should put a Z06 well intom the 500s in rwhp, and it includes braking, handling, cooling, and drivetrain upgrades for peace of mind. Also, later on down the road you could install some form of forced induction and go conservative, 5 to 7 pounds of boost, and have a 600+ rwhp monster.

Any thoughts about this setup? Am I :screwy: or am I on to something?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
will82 said:
Any thoughts about this setup? Am I :screwy: or am I on to something?
**My thought is that if you raise the HP of the car that much and dont spend the bucks to beef up the bottom end, you might as well be peeing into a fan, and just go ahead and give that money to your favorite charity. This is SO very common of people who want to mod their car and havent been there before. Especially when you are talking 600rwhp. Dont even talk about those numbers without reworking the bottom end.
Never forget this....A house will crumble if the foundation is not built to handle the load.

**based on my personal opinion only, to each their own**

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
nutbush said:
**My thought is that if you raise the HP of the car that much and dont spend the bucks to beef up the bottom end, you might as well be peeing into a fan, and just go ahead and give that money to your favorite charity. This is SO very common of people who want to mod their car and havent been there before. Especially when you are talking 600rwhp. Dont even talk about those numbers without reworking the bottom end.
Never forget this....A house will crumble if the foundation is not built to handle the load.

**based on my personal opinion only, to each their own**

Words to live by! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
378 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
MuffinMan,

Grim
:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

'Cept I went all stroke :thumb: Check my sig for the numbers we got with my build ... this is with a conservative tune, need it to last longer than a week :flaming:, 9.3:1 compression, RT cats and stock exhaust.

Call Dave @ Cartek ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts