Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought one for my 2004 since I will be tuning my car with HPTuners within a week. I live in Oklahoma and usually the temps are high but in the winter it can also get very cold (depending). Should I be worried about the 160 stat or should I get a higher one.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Personally I would recommend no lower than a 170-178 stat for these motors - oil will be cleaner, friction less.

Les

Chrisrokc said:
I just bought one for my 2004 since I will be tuning my car with HPTuners within a week. I live in Oklahoma and usually the temps are high but in the winter it can also get very cold (depending). Should I be worried about the 160 stat or should I get a higher one.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I have to agree with Les. The 160 is a little cold for this motor...especially if you intend to drive it in the winter months. When I had the S/C installed a 178 was also installed. I drove around Las Vegas for a week at 108+ degrees and the water temp never ran above 190/195. I'd stick with a higher stat and "retune" the fan on/off temps.

Charlie

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 160 thermostat and oil cooler in my car. In the summer cruising at 2000 rpm in 6th gear (in NJ) the coolant temps hover in the low to mid 170's. I rarely drive the car in the winter and take my car to driving schools so the cooler thermostat is worth the trade off. However, if you do drive your car in cold weather and rarely if ever take it a road courses, then I would go with the next hotter thermostat, I believe it's speced at 180 F. Running street coolant temp lower than 180F is not the best for any motor.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
03 Z06 said:
I have a 160 thermostat and oil cooler in my car. In the summer cruising at 2000 rpm in 6th gear (in NJ) the coolant temps hover in the low to mid 170's. I rarely drive the car in the winter and take my car to driving schools so the cooler thermostat is worth the trade off. However, if you do drive your car in cold weather and rarely if ever take it a road courses, then I would go with the next hotter thermostat, I believe it's speced at 180 F. Running street coolant temp lower than 180F is not the best for any motor.
Is it really "worth the trade off"? You say your coolant temps hover in the low to mid 170's and then say that running lower than 180 isn't such a good idea...which is true! Just how detrimental would it be if you ran a 178/180 stat all the time. I'd say it sure would be better than the 160 you have in there now.

Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts