Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!!

Any of you that have a 160 thermostat!!!! I was wondering what you coolant temp is, say 41 degrees outside, cruising around 75mph for an extended time!!

Any help!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a 172 and at 60 degrees outside the car was running 167 degrees. I put the stock TSAT back in for the winter as well as a Vinci Fan Controller with the fans set around 205 degrees. Car runs normal temps at highway speeds (192) and 200-205 in traffic (I don't see much traffic though).

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I've got a 160 tstat. In CA @ 55-70 air temp on freeways at 72-85 mph it runs about 172-185.

Depends if I've been accelerating or going up hill or just cruising on flat ground at 72 mph. In stop and go traffic with a lot of ideling it hits 205. Fans come on at 199.

On a hot day in stop and go traffic this past summer with a/c on, I've seen as much as 230. I'm running much more water since I changed the mix in the radiator recently, so I'll see what happen this summer. I'm having an on/off switch installed to manually control the fans from the cock pit.

Max power is at 180-185 head temp.

HTH,

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!!

Reason for asking, I modified my thermostat myself using the 'ole BB trick!! Works perfect in the summer, but we just started getting some cool air down here, highs in the low 40's and lows in the hi 20's!!

Cruising at 70-75 in 6th, I've seen it as cool as 144!! So, I'd like to bring the temp up another 27-30 degrees, cruising!!

Hell, doing 80-85, the closer I kept the engine to 2000 rpm, the cooler the damn thing got!! I think that's where I saw 144!!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jnation!!!!!!

I'm triing another little trick today, to see if I can at least get it up to 170!!!

I made peak horsepower somewhere around 178-182!! If I can cruise at 170 degrees, that's not but a blip of the throttle too peak power!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take the thermostat and seperate it.. In the center of the stat, there is a hole....place a BB into the hole, put stat back together!! It allows the stat to open sooner!! It's supposed to be equal to a 160!!

Hey in the summer it works great!!! Just keeps the car to cool in the colder temps!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
ASASN..
Take the thermostat and seperate it.. In the center of the stat, there is a hole....place a BB into the hole, put stat back together!! It allows the stat to open sooner!! It's supposed to be equal to a 160!!
For your head temp to be 144 deg while running, sounds like your thermostat is not closing all the way rather than opening sooner:-?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've ordered a fan controller from Vinci who was very helpful on the phone & knew what he was talking about. I'm planning on using a 180 degree thermostat. I do not like to see tempratures over 200 and prefer under 190. The hotter the temprature the shorter life expectancy you will have with valve seals, gaskets, rings, and about anything that will be affected by the excess heat not to mention the horsepower loss. If you plan to keep the car I think you will be glad if you keep the temp down. (But for what it is worth I think 160 for a street car is too cool. You need to keep the oil hot enough to lubricate well and to burn off the contaminates that collect between oil changes.:)
I planned to get a 180 thermostat from GM like came in my 98 Formula Firebird for $18.50 retail. they are interchangable. Suprise:mad: The part # has changed & if you ask for a 180 thermostat for the Firebird/Camaro or one for your vette (190-195) you now get a 212 degree thermostat.:-?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I ran out of room on my last posting. I wanted to ask 1ZEE06 if he has a manual switch installed I'd like to know how to install one that will turn on the high speed fans in case I need it when it gets hot out side. The Vinci fan controller only turns on the low speed fans. He said the low speed is enough to keep the temperature down & I hope he is right.:guiness:

Don't worry your computer will turn the high speed fans on when you get to 257 degrees. :mad: After that you can throw some bacon & eggs on the motor as it wont be good for much else.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Terry,

I hope to have the fan switch finished next week. I didn't realize there is a high speed and a low speed setting!? With Mr. Goodwrench in the car, I observed both fans initially coming on at 199 degrees while ideling in the service bay from a cold start. I guess that would be the low speed setting.....

From what you're saying, a higher fan speed comes on with higher temps.....I'll need to ask my guy if I'll be able to manually turn on the high speed setting too.

When Steve Cole set the PCM, he told the computer that I had a 160 degree tstat. The computer then figures when to turn on the fans. In my case it's at 199 degrees.

I keep my DIC in the coolant temp mode most of the time, but I'm always monitoring everything. Oil temp rises more slowly than coolant temp. As the fans come on, the coolant temp levels off unless you start accelerating and then it climbs, as you would expect. The oil temp keeps on rising and gets over 200 degrees pretty easy. Also, it tends to stay at a high temp when the coolant temps drop.

So, the oil temp isn't a problem with a 160 tstat IMHO.

I'll let you know what Mr. Goodwrench says regarding fan speeds and how the switch works. It will be in the Ashtray area next to my line lock switch and warning light.

ZYA,
Barrie

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Barrie:

Thanks for the reply. I have the wiring diagram & it looks to me like low & hi speeds could be activated independently by making seprate switched connections to ground. I'm not sure where to find the connecton points or if it is as simple as I think. I do not want to cut or splice any wires (thats why I like the Vinci controller as he supplies a plug in wiring harness). If you want to know what they are I can get the factory on-off temp. specs on Monday & give them to you. :)

Vinci does say the current draw on hi speed is too high & that is why they only turn on the low speed. I did not ask him what happens if the hi speed is used for any length of time. :-?

I'll be waiting to hear about your switch installation.:cool:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
ASASN

Why not just run it in a lower gear cruising(for warmth)......5th, instead of 6th, 4th v.s. 5th......etc.......
Since you will be out of that type odf weather very soon........it's kind of like Tex, cold here is a state of mind......MOST of the time.
What's the deal?.......I hear the 172 Stat is THE way to go...........
Why use the 160's........makes a heater useless.......:-?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Terry,

I asked Mr Goodwrench about the high and low speed fan switch. He pretty much confirmed what Vinci told you. He also said adding the manual switch is good idea because it enables you to turn the low speed fans on before your engine gets too hot. He said its a lot easier to keep the engine cooler than to try to cool down an overheated engine.

Also, he said you could damage the Alternator if you had a switch on the high speed setting and the high speed fans were left on too long!? I have an Engineer friend who Manufactures Custom elecrical motors and I'll get his opinion on Frying the Alternator. I should get the switch in late next week or early the following week, and I'll report my findings!!

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good thread.

I'll be swapping out my tstat shortly, too. Think I'll go with the 160 since I don't have to worry much about heater usage in Central Florida.

Will add another vote of confidence in the Vinci Constant Fan Monitor controller. Have one in my 96 GS coupe and it works great. Adjustable via a tiny rheostat to set the fan ON temp. I set it to full when at the track so the fans would be on all the time while waiting in the staging lanes. The unit works in conjunction with, not in place of, the PCM so if it goes bad for any reason the PCM takes over.

Concur on what others have said about needing an oil temp of 180 or more for proper lubrication, but keep in mind OIL temps are generally 20 degrees or so HIGHER than water temps.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Would you mind telling me where you got the fan controller and 160 thernostat? I plan to go that same route.

Les

Z06VERT said:
Good thread.

I'll be swapping out my tstat shortly, too. Think I'll go with the 160 since I don't have to worry much about heater usage in Central Florida.

Will add another vote of confidence in the Vinci Constant Fan Monitor controller. Have one in my 96 GS coupe and it works great. Adjustable via a tiny rheostat to set the fan ON temp. I set it to full when at the track so the fans would be on all the time while waiting in the staging lanes. The unit works in conjunction with, not in place of, the PCM so if it goes bad for any reason the PCM takes over.

Concur on what others have said about needing an oil temp of 180 or more for proper lubrication, but keep in mind OIL temps are generally 20 degrees or so HIGHER than water temps.

·
Registered
397 Posts
ZO6/Les said:
Would you mind telling me where you got the fan controller and 160 thernostat? I plan to go that same route.
The stat is available from a number of sources, Eckler's for one, I believe.

The Constant Fan Monitor controller comes from Vinci Hi-Performance in Orlando. You can order it from Eckler's, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Q: When is a 160 deg thermostat not a 160 deg thermostat?

A: When it's installed in a C5/Z06 Corvette!

I think it would have to be about 0 deg outside temp before the coolant ran that low a temp. FWIW, I haven't seen coolant below 170 deg on the street even down to an outside temp of 30 deg and the heater works plenty fine. Pushing hard in the summer (competition) it's just about impossible to keep it below 200 deg F, but the real issue is the oil temp will go through the roof before the coolant. Would recommend a good engine oil cooler before all else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts