Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, excuse me for my ignorance but why did GM not put a lower, 172 TStat in the car if it runs too hot? :-?

Is the temp of the Z harmful, and should this mod be considered necessary?

Doesn't the oil need to be really hot to work well and protect the engine?

I need to be educated, let the class begin:D

Thanks Guys:cheers:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Thoughts on the tstat fan controller combo

In your climate(WA), the BEST way to be on the safest side is to change out your tstat for each season. The benefit of running cooler is more power, but, be careful to note that your car properly warms up.

We carry a 172/78 tstat fan controller combo, works well to keep temps down while in traffic and at the track for the best runs.

You will see dyno results from manufacturers and vendors and members using the coldest coolant temp possible, which is obtained between runs, much like at most tracks where you wait in line with the car off. Cooler means more power, however, small that may be. I think a point that is overlooked is "What temp am I driving at when the guy next to me wants to run?" It's not that low coolant temp from for most of us.

I use to run, on a 95 degree night at the track, while making runs within less than 10 minutes of each other, 235-237 with the stock tstat...after I went to a combo of fan controller and tstat, I ran 205-207 under the same conditons. Duirng cold weather, I don't run that hot, the 205 that is, at all, but, I don't see the type of cold you guys do up there either. I don't recommend the cooler tsat, based on a ton of customer feedback, in cold climate states unless you store the car and only drive during spring and summer.

RG

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
RG, for those running the 172 TSTAT with plug in harness controlling the activation of one of the fans at 190, is it possible to simply temporarily disconnect the plug for winter driving? This would still leave at least one fan opeational if needed?

Pros and cons??

Thanx! :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
RG,

I live in southern california.We really don't have "COLD" winters like back east.How do you feel about this mod with the Halltech T-1 TRIC intake.What's your opinion please.Thanks Greg:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts