Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try and do some documentation of my project as I go along if anyone is interested. I have been gathering parts for quite a while and just started this past weekend getting it all together. Here are a few pics of my project.

This is a 22k mile LS1 block with a G5X2 cam, 243 heads, ported throttle body, ported MAF and LS6 intake. I am not sure what I am going to be doing for exhaust manifolds at this point as header for C3 LS swaps are not readily available just yet.
Short block

243 Heads getting installed with Patriot Dual Golds

Mostly assembled with the fuel rail covers on.

Here is a shot that has the motor and the 70, under the cover in one shot.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Very nice. I just did the same build and put it into a 1970 GTO convertable. Not the easiest swap but I'm thrilled i didn't give up getting it all together. It's such a sweet motor in the old muscle cars. Best of luck now the fun starts. Any hickups send me a PM because Iv'e been there and now I'm up and running. Jim

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You gotta love a guy that has a couch in the garage to go along with the stereo, fireplace and tv. That's awesome. :)
Nice project. I agree with Norm, sweet garage. :thumb:
Its my buddies garage and it is nice. Right now in it there is his wifes C6 Convertible, his 70 BB Coupe, and my 70 Convertible. TV, radio, plenty of lights, plenty of room, lots of tools, refrigerator, couch, desk, work benchs......its pretty hard to beat in my book.

Here is a pic of their corvettes and my Z06.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Worked on the motor again for a little while this afternoon. I tapped the water pump so I could add the fittings for heater hoses and added all the accessories to the front of the motor. I had to modify the CSR water neck so the Robertshaw thermostat would fit correctly.

Here is a pic of where we are at now.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we have been tinkered on it for a few days over the weekend. Drained all the fluids from the motor and tranny. Got the old motor out. Pulled the transmission and bellhousing. Here are a few pics.

All the hoses pulled and motor ready.

I had no idea about what I see on my head. Wow!!

TNBUSA and Eddie 70 getting the motor ready to pull. The car is at TNBUSA's house.

Coming out.

This is the motor getting ready to have legs installed on it so it can set.

Nothing in the engine bay except for the transmission. It is a Keisler 5 speed unit that I have had for about 5 years now. Very worth while investment.

Here is the stock bellhousing used on my 70 vette and bolted to the LS motor. That part is going to work well.

Here is the part that does not look like it is going to work well. This is the Scoggins Dickey bracket that is made for the BB. There is a square block behind the bracket that I think can be cut and then the bracket will work. I just need to get some verification on that first. Anyone know if it is okay to cut this block behind the bracket just enough to clear the clutch bracket?

Finally here is the motor and tranny lined up in the floor. I still need to check the bellhousing runout on the new motor.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, we finally got to make some noise with the LS motor today. It was a surprise for sure. Weak battery and not so sure of the wiring as I made my own harness. But all seems well. Now I need to get after it with HP Tuners and finish plumbing the cooling system.

Test Fire

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully this weekend there will be a longer video of it running open headers for a while it warms up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well over the weekend I was able to finally disable VATS using HP Tuners and got the car to start and run. It is on open headers. Next on my list of things to do is take the car and get the exhaust connected and bring it home. Hopefully this will happen this weekend. It is my birthday Friday and I will be off of work so I am hoping I can take the car for exhaust work. Let me know what you think. I think I am going to have to learn a lot about working with HP Tuners in the next little bit.

Anyway, here is a couple of short videos of the car running in the garage.

Video 1

Video 2

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the car with exhaust on it now. So I guess I can get to tuning the car a little maybe this weekend.
Here is a short video I shot this afternoon. My digital camera does it no justice. The car has a nice deep sound to it that I was looking for when I bought the exhaust system.
YouTube - 1970 Corvette Convertible LS6 G5X2 Magnaflow

1 - 14 of 14 Posts