Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately i've been noticing a pretty hard 1st to 2nd gear grind at high RPM when running the car hard. I'm clutching all the way in and giving it a second before shifting but it's still doing it. Car's an 01 with 16,000. What's going on???

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think it could also be the syncros. Are you still under warranty? I had the same thing happen to me on my 01' and got it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Aluminun shift forks, that's how they bend. Change to the newer version steel one's, that should do it.

Jack

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
My Transmission exhibited the same symptoms. I assumed a bent fork too. Was surprised when my Dealer and I checked the documentation, but I ended up reasonably convinced that the 1-2 fork is Steel.

Assuming we interpreted the information correctly, the Aluminum fork in our T56s is only 3-4. The 1-2 fork is steel already.

This is a classic Synchro problem. The Shifter hangs on the blocking ring, or grinds when you shift hard. Loss of friction is reducing the effectiveness of the Synchro.

In my experience (which is, admittedly, limited), a bent fork would keep you from getting the gear engaged, but it usually won't grind. A burnt Synchro, though, will cause almost always cause grinding.

My Transmission had other problems as well. I ended up with a new Gearbox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's definitely the synchros this is my second 2004 z06 that this happened to first car the dealer had for 45 days scratched all up gm bought back after fighting with them for 2 months if i was you i would send tranny to rockland gear to get fixed right cost about 2 grand it's to bad that gm builds junk car worth 50 grand with junk tranny gm engineers should be embarassed these cars have all kinds of problems

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok...with WHATEVER repair path i go...how can i keep from doing it again? what did i do to burn that synchro???

·
Registered
291 Posts
It is the syncro. Mine is in the shop now getting this fixed. They have had it a week and they are having a hard time getting it fixed. They did replace the shift fork for me, they are replacing the blocking ring, and all the parts that go with this fix under warraanty. I am afraid they will be needing to do this again and then it will be a transmission. Mine was 3-4th gear. Good luck. I will know in a few hours if it will be done and ready. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Replace the Hydraulic clutch fluid. I had the same problem on another car and that fixed it right up.
If that doesn't do it then yes, you might have a bent shift fork or syncros.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Finally got the car back. running good so far. Replaced the 3-4 shift fork, blocker ring, and some other stuff. Replaced the differential fluids and did an oil change. They are putting in new rods next thursday. I can't wait for the car to be at full power again. VIPER, look out cause Dr.Bigg is on the prowl. Dr.Bigg :jammin:

·
Registered
878 Posts
no prob with my 01-but did a gear and dif gear fluid change at 20k miles.go ahead and blame GM trans-so far i have owned 3 dif gm 6spd cars,have had no probs-i run them hard ,but not track use..some people are hard on anything mechanical..don't get me wrong but i have ridin with a lot of people and allowed a few to drive my cars-and they can't handle a 6 spd worth "squat" IMO :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts