Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corvettes have WON every Pro Solo & National Tour Super Stock event, including The Championships since 1999.

That string was broken this past weekend at the National event in Toledo, Ohio.

A Lotus Elise won on a sometimes wet course.

The C6 Z06 should resume the dominance but won't be available/legal for competition until January, 2006.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Elise victory was a big thing, no doubt. Everyone in the Solo II community has been wondering if it could happen and now it has...however (I drive a Z06, there has to be a "however" ;) ), the Toledo course evidently was a short, speed maintenence course and asphalt. Also, the Elise had a top tier, National Champ driver in Mike "Junior" Johnson. To be fair, the Z06 was well represented, with a number of National level drivers, as well. Regardless, the Elise is an amazing little car. I taught at a Lotus driver's autocross school this weekend and found out for myself...but, I wouldn't plan on the Elise winning at Nationals.

The one to worry about in Solo II SS is the GT3, IMHO. Gary Thomason won the Atwater Pro SS in a borrowed GT3 by .4 of a second...quite a bit. If the GT3 is seriously campaigned by a top driver, it could be lights out for the C5 Z06. I'm also not confident that the C6 Z06 is going straight to SS, maybe a stop in ASP first?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Z06 autocrossing...

tigerdrvr said:
The one to worry about in Solo II SS is the GT3, IMHO.
Having been beaten by Gary in a GT3 up close and personal, I agree the combination is lethal to Z06s. Of course, Gary could have put some 710s on a John Deere tractor and beat me.... :eek:

The Elise is a fine Lotus, with all the issues that go with it being a fine Lotus...... ;)

DJ:
I think the C5 Z06 dominance will continue for a while, at least at the Nationals, by force of numbers.

Isn't the C6 Z06 already legal in SS, in light of the "C6 (05+)" line in the stock class structure? Or is this superceded by another rule? Just curious.... The stock C5 Z06 is apparently classed under the "C5 (97-04)" listing, no?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well it's certainly shaking things up a bit...9 Elise entries so far at the Devens National Solo II Tour event, on the weekend of July 10th, and 6 Z06 entries as of today.

Mike "Junior" Johnson is defending his previous Elise win and both Frank Gonzalaz (who led on day one of the Toledo tour event) and Pat Salarno (who finished second to the Elise) are aiming to put the little "go-kart" back in it's place. This one's worth watching....

·
Registered
123 Posts
TedDBere said:
Well it's certainly shaking things up a bit...9 Elise entries so far at the Devens National Solo II Tour event, on the weekend of July 10th, and 6 Z06 entries as of today. ....

Hmmmm. There's that damn "force of numbers" thing, about to bite us...... :roll:

·
Registered
15 Posts
TedDBere said:
Well it's certainly shaking things up a bit...9 Elise entries so far at the Devens National Solo II Tour event, on the weekend of July 10th, and 6 Z06 entries as of today.

Mike "Junior" Johnson is defending his previous Elise win and both Frank Gonzalaz (who led on day one of the Toledo tour event) and Pat Salarno (who finished second to the Elise) are aiming to put the little "go-kart" back in it's place. This one's worth watching....
I can only say that those who where there know....My car pushed like a dump truck...for the first time ever....I believe I have that all figured out for Devens. Time will tell....

One win brought ALL the Elise's out of the wood work....Now its time to send them all home......

Jr drove the heck out of that little car. Matt Brawn was just as quick on the second day as Jr was....but it was too little to late....

Devens should be fun.....Come on, everyone sign up and run...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As the rules are currently written the C6 Z06 will be eligible in SS but only after January 2006.

1. As listed in Appendix A:

"SUPER SPORT
Corvette ('97+)
Corvette ('05+)"

Note that the C5 Z06 is considered a Model option of the C5 and the C6 Z06 will (probably) be considered a Model option of the C6.

2. But constrained by:

"3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES
Cars designated as being of a model year later than the current
year are NOT eligible to compete in Divisional, Tour or Solo II
National Championships, unless they have been specifically
classed by the SEB.
A newly-classed vehicle is NOT eligible for the current year's
Solo II National Championships unless its listing was published
no later than July issue of "Sports Car" (Fastrac)."

3. 13.0

"...must have been produced in quantities of 1,000 in (the) 12 month period...

The SEB will not classify the C6 Z06 until after the National Championships (9/06), probably in October or November. As well you can run an '05 C6 this year but NOT a '06 C6 until January 2006.

It's a little hard for the SEB to classify cars until after the new model is actually produced (> 1,000) and performance specs are available for the actual production vehicle. For instance everything we have seen for the C6 Z06 as yet is ONLY pre-production hype and EVERYTHING is as yet subject to change.

This prevents a competitor from bringing in a new year model car just for the Championships. AND therefore new year model vehicles can not compete until January of their year designation.

It's the same way for most Production based classes such as T1 Club Racing, GT1, Solo I, World Challenge, and even AMLS.

I'm sure it will go into SS for AutoX and will be included in T1 with the caveat that all the exsisting T1 cars can be upgraded to the C6 Z06 specs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
evopat77 said:
Matt Brawn was just as quick on the second day as Jr was....but it was too little to late....

Devens should be fun.....Come on, everyone sign up and run...
Unfortunately Matthew Braun was driving my screwed up car.
We toed it in to 0.5" in the rear sunday morning (was 0.25")and it was much better - just a little bit loose, right where i like it.

Not sure if I can give Jr a run for his money - but i'll sure as heck try.

Oh and SCCA's wording.. it wasn't the first time a vette didn't win SS in a Pro Solo or National Tour... it said vettes won the national championships every year since 99. A GT3 - driven by Ian Stewart won SS in the Atlanta National Tour. That being said Pat S, Matthew B, and Erik S were not on hand.

·
Registered
971 Posts
DJWorm said:
Corvettes have WON every Pro Solo & National Tour Super Stock event, including The Championships since 1999.

That string was broken this past weekend at the National event in Toledo, Ohio.

A Lotus Elise won on a sometimes wet course.

The C6 Z06 should resume the dominance but won't be available/legal for competition until January, 2006.
Don't we have to let them win once in a while? :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Don't we have to let them win once in a while? :D
I guess so...it increases participation and increases the trophy count for everyone!

Kind of like Vegas...let them taste winning, and then take them for all they got.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Key an Eye on next months fast track...

Rumor has the NEW Z06 is up for member comment to move it and the New Viper to the exclusion list until tires and a volume of cars become available.

This will make the current Z06 safe for stock class for a while....and the new car can play in ASP.

Later.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since you can't get tires for it anyway, why not let it into SS and if you want to be competitive then it's off to ASP with the new wheel sizes and R tires???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Z warz

tigerdrvr said:
I'm for the C6 Z06 going to ASP for a couple of years...matter of fact, send the Porsche GT3 with it... ;)
Second that. Especially the GT3 part. :yeadog:

Thanks for the clarification on C6 Z06 eligibility this year, D.J.

·
Registered
49 Posts
DJ, I gave this some thought and my interpretation is different. The C6 Z06 is currently classed in SS and can run when it shows up.

DJWorm said:
As the rules are currently written the C6 Z06 will be eligible in SS but only after January 2006.

1. As listed in Appendix A:

"SUPER SPORT
Corvette ('97+)
Corvette ('05+)"

The actual listing is Corvette C6 ('05+)

Note that the C5 Z06 is considered a Model option of the C5 and the C6 Z06 will (probably) be considered a Model option of the C6.

2. But constrained by:

"3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES
Cars designated as being of a model year later than the current
year are NOT eligible to compete in Divisional, Tour or Solo II
National Championships, unless they have been specifically
classed by the SEB.

It has been specifically classed in SS by the SEB

A newly-classed vehicle is NOT eligible for the current year's
Solo II National Championships unless its listing was published
no later than July issue of "Sports Car" (Fastrac)."

It has been published in the 2005 rule book and was a fastrac addition in 2004.

3. 13.0

"...must have been produced in quantities of 1,000 in (the) 12 month period...

Cars must either be specifically classified in the official lists or must have been:

1) series-produced
2) street-legal automobiles
3) built in quantities of 1000 or more per 12 month period and
4) normally sold at US dealers

to be eligible to run in Stock...

The C6 Z06 is specifically classed so these other criteria don't apply.
Unless the SEB makes a new ruling excluding the Z06 from stock, which they are considering, the way I read the rules seems to allow the C6 Z06 to run in SS when it shows up. It meets all your criteria for classing that you've mentioned.

It's specifically classed, and listed prior to July 2005.

·
Registered
15 Posts
TedDBere said:
DJ, I gave this some thought and my interpretation is different. The C6 Z06 is currently classed in SS and can run when it shows up.

Unless the SEB makes a new ruling excluding the Z06 from stock, which they are considering, the way I read the rules seems to allow the C6 Z06 to run in SS when it shows up. It meets all your criteria for classing that you've mentioned.

It's specifically classed, and listed prior to July 2005.
Keep an eye on your fast track.....I think its about to change....Run it while you can....

·
Registered
49 Posts
evopat77 said:
Keep an eye on your fast track.....I think its about to change....Run it while you can....
Tell me, o fast one, are they going to do the same to the GT3? I can hear Gary screamin' now! (BTW, see you on Sunday!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess I didn't have to wait too long to find out...August Fastrac:

Tech bulletin: "Per the SAC, the following model is added to the Appendix A Stock Category exclusion list: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ('06+) Comment: This car is being excluded at this time due primarily to tire availability issues. It is anticipated that it will be classed in SS for the 2007 season."

Submitted for member feedback: "Porsche 911 GT3, move from SS to Stock
Category exclusion list. Comment: this proposal is being published to keep open the possibility of moving this car out of SS if it demonstrates an ability to dominate SS."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts