Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
X9TO5 said:
Ok. Where are the paddles? I want something like the BMW ///M3 SMG with the shift ability either on the steering wheel or on the tranny tunnel. I would pay the >=$2,500 for this as that is what BMW charges. I think it would be a lot of fun on a C6 Z06 especially if it obviated the notchy shifter feel that we all hate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Paddles on an auto tranny are just a gimmick. Shift times are much slower and you cannot do a burnout. Paddles are only useful when they are mated to a manual with a clutch. The shifts up and down on a good one ( read not M3, but a 360 CS) are quicker than a hand shift.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but Dave Hill stated there will be no auto or paddle shifter on the Z06 in any year. :ity:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The Paddles are on the Steering Wheel. Auto only for the time being :zboobie:

·
Registered
53 Posts
AndyZ06 said:
Yeah, really. Reading this post took 15 seconds of my life I can never get back.
Youre a bright one. If it took you 15 seconds to read my previous post, then go back to school. ie English 101. :bang: Prepare to lose another 30 seconds or so for the below post, its slightly longer. :lol: phucking moron

This paddle shift is not for the Z06 and since its under the C6 Z06 category, people might get the wrong idea, and some apparently have.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Paddle shifters like what we see in these photos are nice....for coupes and convertibles but not on a Z06....

What all three versions of the Corvette including the Z06 deserve is a dual clutch sequential shifter like whats coming on Porsches high performance models.

I believe Porsche might use the ceramic 6 inch diameter clutch along with the PDK technology.

The packaging and performance implications are impressive.

Dave Hill is not impressed with BMW's SMG II or Ferraris sequential paddle shifter....BUT MR> HILL IS IMPRESSED WITH AUDI"S DSG TECHNOLOGY>

I believe in 2008 or 2009 we will see DSG/PDK type technology in the corvette and at a minimal cost as well.

An option without a doubt for all the dieheart six speed manual owners to decide for themselves.

·
Registered
864 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Dave Hill is not impressed with BMW's SMG II or Ferraris sequential paddle shifter....BUT MR> HILL IS IMPRESSED WITH AUDI"S DSG TECHNOLOGY>
That's funny because I recently saw a test on Fifth gear on the Audi and it is no where near as good a Ferraris unit. Cool idea by Audi though. It need more time to develop though.

The one in my 355 is pretty good. Better than anyone can do manual shifting. The one in my BMW is slower especially on the downshifts. Leaves me hangin too often. I drove a Stradale and it was very good.

I guess Chevy's version is just a manumatic from an auto tranny? That sucks if it is. The Porsceh version(tiptronic) is one of the better one's out ther and it loses lots of time from the manual.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
355Spider said:
That's funny because I recently saw a test on Fifth gear on the Audi and it is no where near as good a Ferraris unit. Cool idea by Audi though. It need more time to develop though.

The one in my 355 is pretty good. Better than anyone can do manual shifting. The one in my BMW is slower especially on the downshifts. Leaves me hangin too often. I drove a Stradale and it was very good.

I guess Chevy's version is just a manumatic from an auto tranny? That sucks if it is. The Porsceh version(tiptronic) is one of the better one's out ther and it loses lots of time from the manual.
I can assure you the Audi DSG is superior to the Ferrari sequential unit. Is the Ferrari the better car? Hell yes...! but the audi DSG dual clutch unit is superior.

Porsches PDK unit thats coming out in a year or so....will show the benefits of dual clutch sequential technology over the single clutch units....(from one sports car to the next)

Porsches PDK dual clutch sequential will be the beginning of a tidal wave for dual clutch sequentials throughout the marketplace.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Paddle shifters like what we see in these photos are nice....for coupes and convertibles but not on a Z06.....
Thats true.

It sure would be nice to see a true paddle shift on the Z06.

·
Registered
59 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
I can assure you the Audi DSG is superior to the Ferrari sequential unit. Is the Ferrari the better car? Hell yes...! but the audi DSG dual clutch unit is superior.

Porsches PDK unit thats coming out in a year or so....will show the benefits of dual clutch sequential technology over the single clutch units....(from one sports car to the next)

Porsches PDK dual clutch sequential will be the beginning of a tidal wave for dual clutch sequentials throughout the marketplace.
My wife drives an Audi TT 3.2DSG, she had an 03 M3 SMG prior and the Audi unit is BY FAR the best paddle shifter I have ever used and second being the E-gear in the Gallardo I drove last weekend. I still don't like them as much as a regular stick and clutch but it's pretty fun to play with ( I just don't like it because sometimes it won't let me switch to the gear I want when I want it....I payed for the damn car let me chose what gear I should be in :mah: )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts