Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Z06 and it was a real blast.My best run of the night was a 12.7 @112.3....not bad for my 1st time with this car.I have one question to ask .....Everytime I shifted into 2nd gear I got ALOT of wheel hop and lost probably a couple of tenths.Why does it do this and how can I stop it....if possible.Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
GaryZ06 said:
...Everytime I shifted into 2nd gear I got ALOT of wheel hop...Why does it do this and how can I stop it....
GaryZ06,

The rear wheels hop when the torque at the tires overpowers available traction and the tires begin to spin freely. Best way to eliminate hop is (1) run at a stickier (well-prepped) dragstrip or (2) make a softer (slower) shift to 2d. (2) will cost you some time but less than big time hop. I favor (1) even if it means a longer drive to get there.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear wheels hop when the torque at the tires overpowers available traction and the tires begin to spin freely. Best way to eliminate hop is (1) run at a stickier (well-prepped) dragstrip or (2) make a softer (slower) shift to 2d. (2) will cost you some time but less than big time hop. I favor (1) even if it means a longer drive to get there.
Ranger thanks for the reply but in my Camaro SS it used to spin like hell in second but it never had wheel hop.Would lower air pressure help the wheel hop?The next nearest track is about 4 hrs. away.Thanks again

·
Registered
837 Posts
GaryZ06,

The suspension on the F-bodies is quite different that your Z06. It is a fact that the Z06 will hop if the rear tires are allowed to spin freely.

As to lowering the pressure in the stock rears, I normally run 23 psi in the rears. PowerShifter swears by 28 psi. He is usually running at well prepped tracks.

Also, pumping the fronts to 44 psi to minimize rolling resistence will help ET a little.

Too bad no sticky track nearby.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ranger I will try lower rear and higher front tire pressure next time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Given the number of folks who have this problem, it is pretty clear that this is a weakness in the rear suspension.

Perhaps this has something to do with the rumors floating around about the C6 rear suspension making an early appearance next year.

The ECU calibration in the 2002 was tweaked to try and reduce wheel hop. I've read that it has an anti-wheel-hop mode that cannot be disabled.

The WH may also have partially driven the changes to the rear shock valving in the 2002.

WH is *really* bad for your trans/powertrain.

Any of you guys tried putting some air bags back there? ;)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Ranger said:
GaryZ06,

The suspension on the F-bodies is quite different that your Z06. It is a fact that the Z06 will hop if the rear tires are allowed to spin freely.

As to lowering the pressure in the stock rears, I normally run 23 psi in the rears. PowerShifter swears by 28 psi. He is usually running at well prepped tracks.

Also, pumping the fronts to 44 psi to minimize rolling resistence will help ET a little.

Too bad no sticky track nearby.

Ranger

If you look at the bushings, the fore/aft sections of the bushings are pretty soft. This does a couple of things: 1) gives you a nice comfortable ride 2) allows the arms to flex back and forth when a lot of torque goes through the driveline. I think this is the cause of the wheel hop.

Has anyone put polyurathane in yet?

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 01 did this during the test drive. I think the traction control was still on when I tried my first hard shift. I made sure it was off the second time and did another hard shift. It resulted in the usual predictable wheel spin after that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts