Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right... this is my 1st time at the track with the Z06.... actually this is also my 1st 6 speed car and therefore this is my 1st time racing a 6-speed car... so take it easy on me... let me tell you how it went down.

1st run... it was pathetic... some guy in a honda civic beat me. yeah :eyes: the damn civic ran a 12.3 at a 112!!! :eek:

I missed 2nd and 3rd gear... i just gave up and cruised down the 1/4 mile.... 15 seconds.. :blush:

2nd run... even worse missed 3rd again and gave up. 16.2 this time around.

So at this point i was :blush:

3rd from then on it started to get better.

My mods are as follow... B&B exhaust, Drag radials. heavy motosport wheels (does not help) and BAD DRIVER mod. (does not help at all!!!!!) :cry:

So what is this car with a decent driver capable off?

·
Registered
37 Posts
About the same for my first time at the track. Practice? .........Practice? Man we're talking about Practice! to quote Mr. Allen Iverson. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Practice and advice will get your their.

If you have a close friend that knows how to drive ask him to make a pass with you in the car watching. That will really help, and ask questions.

Your car is good for 11s.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Practice makes perfect. You might want to try practice shifting quickly with th car parked with the motor off. This will help you with your coordination. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Practice Is the best advise, especially your launch, seeing that you have the DRs, you have a problem launching mostly, Z06 is a bitch lauching, but with DR everything goes in place, but you have to have the right Air Pressure(12-18psi) and just enough burnout, but not too much, once you get your 60ft then practice shiffting, I see you said you quit the run after missing shift, Im glad to hear that, I do the same, Im hard on the car but when its worth while! some people miss shift and then try jamming all the gears in furry(other cars, never seen a vette driver do this) then still get a sorry number, look dumb , and punished their car for all that!

Keep practicing , you'll get it, Z06 are one of the fastest stock cars out there, but there also very hard to drive giving them a wrong impression, Z06 has alot of room for error on every end, even if you dont miss shift, the red limiter is right there at redline and it revs quick so you either shift too early or too late,and the launching is VERY dificult, all these factors make the z06 a 13 second car :bmad: or a 11 second bone stock :usa:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
When it came time to shift.. does it help shifting with the little "Shift" that we have in the HUD? or is better to keep a close eye in the RPMs and the Red Line.

I left my drag radials at the normal PSI.. but what do you guys recommend? 12 - 18 psi sound very low! i think you would lose some MPH at the end.

Does my MPH reflect decent power for a Z06?

yes.. lots of Newbie questions... sorry guys.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Keep your eye on the tach. The HUD tach is slow.

I ran 16-18lbs. of air in my Nitto and BFG drag radials.

Sorry, but 112 is low.

Read Rangers thread on drag racing. It will give you some great tips. Especially on getting your 60' times down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't think your trap speed is low. Depends on the weather in Miami when you ran. If it was cold , then I'd say the trap was low( should have been 113-115) As others have said, the z06 is not an easy car to drag. Wheelhop, tach can't keep up with engine speed in 1st and 2nd gear making it real easy to hit the rev limiter, plus it's tough to run the gears with the stock shifter( I find that I'm really forcing the shifter-not good for shift fork or synchros). It is a car that takes alot of practice. Stock, it is not an 11 sec car for 99% of drivers, but with practice, good cold waether, and some natural ability it can certainly pull low to mid 12s(stock)

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The devil is in the details.. :)

Don't worry too much about it.

All the drag radials and tire pressure and RPM advice etc... won't help with the missed shifts.

What is happening is you trying to hard to "shift" the car into the next gear.

Even the stock shifter can be driven quickly - but there is a secret.

The shifter is self centering, so when you go for 2nd - pull towards you - the jump to third is even easier. Just tap the shifter out of second - it will be centered and now just knock it forwards and without guidance it will find 3rd.

Hope this helps - it was the best advice given to me the first day I drove the Z - and has helped me through 40,000 hard charging, tyre squealing, gear mashing miles. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like you need a short throw shifter. It is almost impossible to miss 3rd with this, Also has a great feel to it.. Everyone should have one just ignore the noise it lets in

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(taking notes) i'll let you people know what happens next time i hit the track... with some of this pointers and more practice i can unleash more of the beast inside my Z. :) Thanks everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts