Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened to me today, that are curious to say the least, and ONE of the two, is NOT sposed to be able to even happen.......input.................pls.

First, Why won't your tranny allow you to shift from 4th to 6th gear......without grinding??
You can go from 2nd to 4th, no prob........just not 4th to 6th......(at least on mine).

Second, Shifting from second to third, tranny tries to go into reverse,.............grind city.........I thought there was a lockout to keep this from happening...............???.

Of course, I was too far over.......but, HOW doid it even gert to the reverse gear section........this was at 6000 rpm's..........:-?

Before you start, yes, it's still the POS stock shifter, and I know it's P Poor......but, this is RIDICULOUS.............:( :(

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I shift all the time from 4th to 6th so don't know what that's about....

But I think you've already answered your own question, for hard driving the stock shifter is a wet noodle.......

JC

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have never had either of those things happen to me. Although I am getting used to the stock shifter, I am still planning on getting a Ripper or a Hurst.

- Charley

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have never experienced those conditions in either of my Z's. :-?

Synchro problem??? :-? IDK And yes, there is a reverse lockout.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've missed and hit the grinding attempt at reverse as well. I read there was a "lockout" but doesn't seem to be in mine. Haven't tried it again on purpose to see if it would... hmmm... if this is supposed to be in there and mine is not preventing maybe I should see dealer about it? Or maybe they changed the design and not the manual?

Have done 4th to 6th without grinding.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
No Way.... None of those problems for me.

In fact, my tranny is quite smooth. No "marbles" rattling in neutral with the clutch out and as clunky as the stock shifter is, no problems finding the right gear with that either.

Maybe your jamming from gear to gear? 6000 rpms shift... pressure situations will do that. I can't imagine how you can go from 2nd to reverse unless there is something wrong with your shifter/tranny. 2nd to reverse is quite a distance with that stock shifter.

You'd be surprised how many people do that though thinking they're Tom Cruise in "Days of Thunder" when in fact if you check race videos with in-car camera showing the drivers, race car drivers are VERY precise in shifting. Quick, but not forceful. Practically letting the shifter guide you into the next gate.

Keep us updated on your tranny.

Don

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
IS, just came back from a test run......the 4th to 6th, is a/ok......dunno what the deal was there........bad drugs i guess.
The Reverse thing.......this is really a stumper.......figured I would have hit 5th, but NOT reverse???????

don527, No Tom Cruise here......just axe my wife.......:D
But, you are correct, when I am at redline I do not Pussyshift into any gear, I want it in ASAP........and I do use some force.......
These shifters work VERY well.......if you plan on just farting around with them.......a couple of the guy's have em' mastered..........but, I won't ever do it.....there is just to much movement between the slots.
My own personal opinion, is the LAST thing a driver should have to think about is IF the darn thing is going in the RIGHT gear, when concentrating at 6500rpm's, and trying to watch the road/track,,,,,,,,,,:flaming:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Never had a problem with the stock shifter....finesse.....you must be one with the universe!

It's sure alot tighter than my stock shifter on the 62, sometimes refered to as a "Dead Chicken".

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WB

Gotta be able to spell it before you can hope to use it...........Fitness....the ability to screw up ANY shifter.........:D

·
Registered
523 Posts
No problem with 4th to 6th...ever....but did have a situation where I am sure the lock out failed while I was racing,looking for 5th.Ground the shit out of it!This was at around 5800rpms,not exactly sure, since my eyes were on the road at that rpm in 4th.

·
Registered
803 Posts
ZO6LS6 said:
Second, Shifting from second to third, tranny tries to go into reverse,.............grind city.........I thought there was a lockout to keep this from happening...............???.
My R lockout works so well that sometimes I can't get it into reverse because the car is rolling forward a little.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re Check

On 4th to 6th..........no problem, but, on 2 or 3 separate occasions this had been the case.............usually at highway speeds, and not high load rpm loadings..............??

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've never experienced 4-6 problems. The 2-rev sounds like you're putting way too much sideways force on the lever during shifts. The shifter wants to fall into the 3-4 groove, so shifting from 2nd to 3rd, just push the stick forward and it should fall naturally into the right place. The shift from 4-5 does require a little bit of sideways pressure, but not much.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Z06LS6,
I think what you are doing wrong is, when your upshifting to third, you are putting way too much energy to the shifter, your probably shifting hard diagonally, and the shifter is going as far as it will travel (reverse) This probably doesn't happen when you are driving normal, right?

carzzy

·
Registered
508 Posts
carzzy said:
Z06LS6,
I think what you are doing wrong is, when your upshifting to third, you are putting way too much energy to the shifter, your probably shifting hard diagonally, and the shifter is going as far as it will travel (reverse) This probably doesn't happen when you are driving normal, right?

carzzy
I think the point was that the car should not even let you get near reverse regardless of what you did... hence the reverse lockout. If it let you grind it on reverse it is not working. I don't think he was asking for techniques of getting to 3rd/5th :)

I've heard a couple of people say that the reverse lockout works. What does it do? does it not even let the shifter get that far (similar to CAGS forcing you to 4th)?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get a dealer opinion -

There have been conflicting reports, and I don't recall reading any write-ups addressing this issue. I believe there should be a lock-out going into reverse when you are over a certain speed (2 mph???). Let us know what your dealer says.

Steve Nix

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If the factory lockout is working you are not supposed to be able to get into the reverse gate at any speed over 3mph. I've not tried to go into reverse gear but I've tried to move the shifter into the reverse gate and unless you are going pretty slow it will not go. You might want the dealer to see if your lockout needs to be fixed. Mine also works so well that at times it is a little tricky to get into reverse. I don't worry about it as I'd rather have that problem than the one you have.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
IceSabre said:

I think the point was that the car should not even let you get near reverse regardless of what you did... hence the reverse lockout. If it let you grind it on reverse it is not working. I don't think he was asking for techniques of getting to 3rd/5th :)

I've heard a couple of people say that the reverse lockout works. What does it do? does it not even let the shifter get that far (similar to CAGS forcing you to 4th)?
IceSabre, I know he was asking about the reverse lockout, but, this problem seems to happen to him alot. As far as reverse lockout goes, if you force it hard enough it will grind, just as trying to force a 4/2 shift with cags. It is not supposed to let you in, but, if you are persistant enough, it just might.

carzzy:)

·
Registered
803 Posts
IceSabre said:
There are 2 solenoids on the transmission. One is for CAGS, the second gear lockout at low mph, and the other is for reverse lockout. The PCM only unlocks reverse at 0 driveshaft rpm. The lever is physically not permitted in that area of the gate. Try rolling forward slightly and trying to go into the spring detent area of reverse but keep the stick in N. Can't get there. Then stop and try again to see the difference.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
don527 said:
No Way.... None of those problems for me.

In fact, my tranny is quite smooth. No "marbles" rattling in neutral with the clutch out and as clunky as the stock shifter is, no problems finding the right gear with that either.

Don
Don you have the LX model Z06:eek: Heavier carpet, special heavy insulation, thank goodness BG didn't put those expiermental Z rated gangsta whitewalls and Dayton wire wheels on your car:lol:
All the rest of us have the Race Car Z06:D :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts