Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im new to the boards and just got my first vette :usa: Needless to say Im very excited about it. I bought a 2001 Z06 and since have been doing some reading on the car and its history and saw that in 2002 the HP is bumped up 20HP. Just curious if you guys knew what was upgraded to give the extra boost in HP. Was it simply Air flow or exhaust or is there something mechanically different about the car. Any help would be apperciated ;)

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
968 Posts
20 clysdales= bigger cam and some ex. work. No big deal as a good 01 driver can match/beat any 02-04 avg. driver! :guiness:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Your questions already answered, but welcome to the site.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When the 02's came out, I enjoyed going 3-0 against them drag racing. It's all driver. I even dynoed 360/363 right after a 2002 dynoed rolled off the dyno putting down 357 bone stock...Granted I did have one mod, a blackwing air box, as most 01's dyno 345-ish. I can't tell a 20 hp loss using SOTP. I eventually did pick up a used 2002 exhaust so I could get the better flowing dual cats w/o the pup cats. Also, the 2003+ clutches are revised over the 01's and hold a little better. I've an 03 Z06 clutch with no problems so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses, good to hear that there are only minor differences that can be made up with a few aftermarket tweaks.Glad to be here :thumb:

Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LC2nLS6 said:
When the 02's came out, I enjoyed going 3-0 against them drag racing. It's all driver. I even dynoed 360/363 right after a 2002 dynoed rolled off the dyno putting down 357 bone stock...Granted I did have one mod, a blackwing air box, as most 01's dyno 345-ish. I can't tell a 20 hp loss using SOTP. I eventually did pick up a used 2002 exhaust so I could get the better flowing dual cats w/o the pup cats. Also, the 2003+ clutches are revised over the 01's and hold a little better. I've an 03 Z06 clutch with no problems so far.
Aftermarket systems will remove the pup cats or no?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The pup cats on an 01 are part of the H shaped mid section of the exhaust right before the main cats and the H connection is. You can get aftermarket off road pipes that eliminate all four cats together since that is one big section of connected pipe. I went with an 02 center section because I knew it would bolt right up and I could still pass emissions. Take a peek under the car and you can see the litte guys right after the exhaust manifolds end. Some people just punch out the pup cats w/ a metal rod, but I didn't want to do that. I think random-tech makes high flow cats if you are interested in that route. Search on this topic, lots of good stuff posted in the last 5 years...Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LC2nLS6 said:
The pup cats on an 01 are part of the H shaped mid section of the exhaust right before the main cats and the H connection is. You can get aftermarket off road pipes that eliminate all four cats together since that is one big section of connected pipe. I went with an 02 center section because I knew it would bolt right up and I could still pass emissions. Take a peek under the car and you can see the litte guys right after the exhaust manifolds end. Some people just punch out the pup cats w/ a metal rod, but I didn't want to do that. I think random-tech makes high flow cats if you are interested in that route. Search on this topic, lots of good stuff posted in the last 5 years...Enjoy the car.
Thanks again~

·
Registered
878 Posts
check other threads its been beat to death--i've got an 01 with a few mods-can't tell the dif to 100mph with the 02-04's, hey a good set of rear tires and some driver talent ,makes a big dif with any yr Z....
whats the difference??..... very little..enjoy the ride... :ity:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Welcome to the site.Don't worry the 01 aren't really any slower.Still an awesome car.Enjoy the ride :z:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you do the same list of bolt-ons... long tube headers, cold air intake, x-pipe, catback and tune they are pretty much the same in terms of horsepower, within a couple of rwhp. The bulk of the horsepower increase was by opening up the breathing of the air box, removal of the per-cats and change in the cat back (~15 rwhp). The 02s have the annoying exhaust jingle and brake squealing.

·
Registered
878 Posts
i love my open airbox-got one from WCC for about $50, they just saw open the lid about 5"x8" opening-kept my stock one-plus airbridge, and cat back b & b PRT system-love the sound and performance improvement...Z's are a blast :usa:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just be careful not to get carried away... want to make sure to leave some money to spend on Angel.

-Jaason :p

:drunken: :lol:

ps i like the effort

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had an 01' and now have an 02'. The difference is very minimal, if any. I actually think that my 01' was faster, but who knows. I ran with an 03 one time in my 01, and we were dead even. The only time he pulled on me was when I short shifted 3rd. Other than that were DEAD EVEN. You won't be able to tell a difference, so don't worry, just enjoy your Z.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Any '01 I've ever been in felt fast as hell, the ones I've been in and driven had the normal bolt ons, just the basic intake and exhaust stuff. No cam. They felt just as strong or maybe even stronger then my '02 when it was stock. Honestly I was suprised at how fast the '01s are. I know its been said before on lots of other threads here, but a strong running '01 Z06 = probably just as fast as an '02. Get an '01 owner who knows how to drive and from my experience it's dead even, with a few bolt ons the 01 will even walk away. IMO, a low mi '01 is a killer performance car buy if you want a Z06 but are looking to spend a lot less. With the money you saved, you can put in an H/C package and maybe some sticky tires and be way faster than any 02-04 stock Z06.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts