Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first corvette a couple of weeks ago, an 01 z06 with 60k on it. Today was driving and the oil pressure started dropping to about 30psi cruising at 2500 rpm and then almost nothing at idle. Pulled over restarted it and 0 oil pressure. Did hear a ticking noise so I immediately turned it off. Question is if the pump went out and the engine isn’t rebuildable, can I put in an 02-03 in the car as a replacement? Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not nearly as difficult to change the oil pump as the engine. Actually it'd be very easy if the steering rack isn't in front of the harmonic balancer. C6 it's in the way, not sure about c5. But to answer your question you can put whatever engine you like in it. You should be a little more specific.
Whether you can do the labor or not you should do a cam swap while you're in there and the price would be spread amongst cam Swap and oil pump replacement instead of just one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found an ls2 to swap in while I rebuild then original engine. The ls2 is out of an 05 with 23k. I have all the necessary harnesses for the knock sensors and cam sensor. Using my intake and tb from the ls6. The donor engine has all accessories and belt as it is a lift out. The only thing I wasn’t quite sure on is if I need to put my balancer and accessories/ pulleys on the donor engine. Thank you so much for the information provided thus far.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,832 Posts
You need to compare the crank position sensor of your LS6 and LS2 as to how many teeth and reluctor wheel as they put out a different frequency and the LS6 PCM is designed for the output of the LS6 CKS before ripping into this swap

Also depending on which fuel injectors to use could require the PCM be tuned for the higher flow LS2 ones if used but have to see if they are the same length as LS6 ones as to height of fuel rail of LS6 one, also if using the LS2 ones if same wiring connectors (EV6)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think.. Thought.. My ls1 ws6 and ls2 GTO, both having 24 tooth wheels had the same sensor?
Also when i put deka 60# injectors in my ls2 all I had to do was use a few washers under the fuel rail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought my first corvette a couple of weeks ago, an 01 z06 with 60k on it. Today was driving and the oil pressure started dropping to about 30psi cruising at 2500 rpm and then almost nothing at idle. Pulled over restarted it and 0 oil pressure. Did hear a ticking noise so I immediately turned it off. Question is if the pump went out and the engine isn’t rebuildable, can I put in an 02-03 in the car as a replacement? Appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Also... If oil went to 0 and you turned it off within a few minutes and didn't do any wide open throttle pulls the engine will be fine. Put an oil pump and O-ring on the pickup and go

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate the responses, thank you. We did find a little metal in the pan so decided to move forward with the swap and will rebuild the original engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts