Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had the chance to drive two different 2001 Z's during the last 6 months and decided to wait on the 2002 Z06 with the increased power and the other minor improvements.The torch red Z06 I ordered came in today the dealer said they had just serviced it and I could come out and look it over.When I got there it was pouring down raining then while there it let up,anyway it was obvious the car had been driven several miles in a down pour:( the undercarraige was filthy and the car had about 12 miles on it:( I had told these people I did not want anybody driving my car and that I myself wouldn't take the car home if it were raining-I'm just that way, this is a weekend /sunny day car for me.Well he gives me the keys and says take it for a spin" I fire it up and right away notice theres a rattle/ knocking noise coming from some where when you rev the motor 2 K rpms or so.He says it just needs to be blown out:eek: I take my test drive and the power just isn't there:( my 2000 6-speed coupe felt stronger and the 2001 Z06's I had driven were awsome,thus the reason I waited for more performance than the 2001.Lastly my sales rep. says they'll figure out what the problem is and let me know when I can pick it up:eek: I'm thinking I need to bail out, can i get some opnions? :cry:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You have to make that judgement call..

but i would say... run another test drive again after they have looked at it before accepting. a third if needed. if it still exhibits the same prob and you don't feel comfortable then bail. i wouldnt take it if it required a 4th test drive. IMO, i would bail if i didnt feel comfortable after the second.

The Z06s do make its own little noises like the cam but dunno how serious your noise can be. As far as power increase, you wont experience it below 4000 rpms... gm dyno charts at press release show that and recent 01 vs 02 dynos confirm it. but it should feel stronger than your 6sp coupe due to gearing.

good luck in whatever you do.

don

turbo said:
Well I had the chance to drive two different 2001 Z's during the last 6 months and decided to wait on the 2002 Z06 with the increased power and the other minor improvements.The torch red Z06 I ordered came in today the dealer said they had just serviced it and I could come out and look it over.When I got there it was pouring down raining then while there it let up,anyway it was obvious the car had been driven several miles in a down pour:( the undercarraige was filthy and the car had about 12 miles on it:( I had told these people I did not want anybody driving my car and that I myself wouldn't take the car home if it were raining-I'm just that way, this is a weekend /sunny day car for me.Well he gives me the keys and says take it for a spin" I fire it up and right away notice theres a rattle/ knocking noise coming from some where when you rev the motor 2 K rpms or so.He says it just needs to be blown out:eek: I take my test drive and the power just isn't there:( my 2000 6-speed coupe felt stronger and the 2001 Z06's I had driven were awsome,thus the reason I waited for more performance than the 2001.Lastly my sales rep. says they'll figure out what the problem is and let me know when I can pick it up:eek: I'm thinking I need to bail out, can i get some opnions? :cry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don thanks for your reply.I'm going to give them a second shot and drive the car again, because of the holiday it will be at least Tuesday till they look at it:( . I'm just very frustrated:cry: .
Frank

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I can assure you the horsies are there. With the rain and wet conditions it may have been pre-mature to get a true comparison. The LS6 is not as smooth and quiet at idle as your LS1 was. The cam and other high performance features of this motor make it noisey. The salesperson does not know what he is talking about. A little dirt and rain should not kill the deal in my opinion. Check it out closely when dry and take it for another test drive then decide. If you have a friend that owns a Z06 bring him/her along for consulting. Good luck. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
837 Posts
Suggest you give the tech a chance to diagnose the issue.

My 98 coupe was delivered with a loose plug wire. Obvious symptom but once diagnosed, a very easy fix. Probably a small issue.

If not, you can reject the car.

Ranger

·
Registered
631 Posts
I can sure understand that. Tell them the truth. You do not want to take delivery of the car for the reasons that you feel.

Tell them to find you another one at a dealer or trade with another dealer and tell them you want it within a week or two at the most so that you can enjoy the car as you expected to.

I find the driveline noise to be the worst of the last 2 Z06's that I owned. The car is deceptively quiet the first couple of days with the exhaust, then she really begins to purr.

Flip side of this whole dissertation. The dealer and their staff obviously do not have an attitude of do not touch the car until the customer gets it. I took the sales manager out in my car and let him drive it simply because they are great with me. If your car truly feels weaker than the other two - have them arange a dyno test and you be there all the way from the dealership - onto the ramp truck and on to the dynamometer place. If the numbers come in as they do from other owners on the board - take the car. If they do not, wait for the next one no matter what it takes.

I know how tough they are to get. Just drove my car down to the Indy track for some picture taking outside the gates and the paddocks - everyone swarms around the car and admires it ! A lot of people now know what we have known for a year - the Z06 is awesome.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If you don't want that Torch Red 02, lemme no - my friend is part owner of a Corvette and Performance car Store and he has a Beautiful new Torch red - 02, with a few hundred miles on her - and believe me, it is "almost" as fast as "Baby Blue" :-D

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
turbo, if your going to re-up try one of our forum dealers Rick Daniel or Bob Bendix. I wish I did. I'm sure one of them can hook you up at the right $$$ and make sure you won't re-live that nightmare, check it out. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys. When my sales rep. said to me to "go blow it out" and see if that rattle goes away.I took it on to the freeway which was actually dried out from all the traffic on it, the road surface was pretty dry. The rattle/ knock sounds as though it's coming from the inside of the exhaust system, mabe one of the cats? It's not at the engine. When I compare this 2002 test drive to the 2001 Z06's I've test driven the same way, this 2002 feels very weak:( . Like I said earlier my 2000 6-speed coupe felt stronger, and this shouldn't be the case.The 2001 Z's I have driven would walk away from my coupe, so something isn't right here. Lastly can anyone verify that the 2002 is really quicker/faster than a 2001 ? real world results? 1/4 mile etc?
thanks Frank

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
IMHO take a pass. Somthing is wrong. It should be as quick as the '01 and significantly faster than a stock C5 6 spd. Les

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
turbo said:
Lastly can anyone verify that the 2002 is really quicker/faster than a 2001 ? real world results? 1/4 mile etc?
thanks Frank
If a 2002 Z is putting down what it should (350 RWHP), then yes, it will be faster than the 01 Z.

This noise you describe does not sound normal. As someone else suggested, find a Z06 buddy to ckeck it out too, or try to listen to another 02 for comparison.

My Z is supposed to arrive at my dealer on 9/5, and I told my salesman (every time I talk to him), that if anyone at the dealer drives it I will be PISSED! You have NO idea how it was 'test driven' -- hell, for all you know, it could have been abused to the point of damaging something. Some of these guys don't care -- its not their car.

My salesman also tells me there are like 4 or 5 people wanting him to call them when it comes in so they can come and look at it. I told him point blank that I don't want everone and his cousin getting in the car an fiddling with all the controls, etc. If they do differently as I requested I will raise bloody hell with the owner of the dealership. When you pre-purchase a car, they better respect your wishes :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
How to stop the dealership letting others get to your car if you're
taking a courtesy delivery (say from Rick)??
:(

·
Registered
345 Posts
One thought. There is a design based rattle while shifting between first and second gear that is natural and expected. Before you bail make sure you rule that out. If you listen to the video you will learn about it. The rattle is drive train oriented and freaked me out till I got used to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Felkebg, the noise is a rattle or knocking sound coming from inside the exhaust system ,it is definantly not driveline or clutch related . I'm familair with that sound. You can stand at the rear of the car and hear it in the mufflers, doesn't matter if clutch pedal is in or out, you can sit there and rev. the motor to 2-3k rpms and its a loud rattle like something metallic is broken and flopping aroung in the exhaust somewhere. :(

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
JT-KGY said:
How to stop the dealership letting others get to your car if you're
taking a courtesy delivery (say from Rick)??
:(
You can rest assured that nobody will be driving your car when it comes to our dealership other than the Corvette Tech, who has to as part of the inspection, and he drives a Vette as well and is just as carefull with them as any of you would be. I also drive the car the for about 2 or 3 miles to make sure myself that they are problems with the car before delv. and you can know that I love and respect this car as much as any of you do also. As for other dealers when the car is being dropped shiped to your local dealer, I always tell my customers that they should choose a dealer that they feel good about preping their car and feel as though they can trust. I would always prefer my customers to pick their cars up at our dealership if possible and drive them home so I can look after them my self and know that they are treated right. The Vette Techs that work for us are with out question some of the best in the nation.:D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Turbo,

If you like, I'll let you test drive mine so you can compare it to your new one while it's fresh in your memory. I'll be down yor way tomorrow and we can meet if you like.

·
Registered
496 Posts
turbo said:
CorvetteSS that would be great :) . where and when?
:D :D :D
Turbo,

I'm taking a new girlfriend to Kemah tomorrow for lunch. Email me your phone number and I'll call you tomorrow to set something up after the date (No offense, but the date comes first for obvious reasons :D ). My email address is in a link on my sig.

Talk to you later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts