Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See following message from GM:

This message is in reference to Administrative Message CHG20010230. The temporary use of the 2001 Z06 wheel on 2002 Model Year Corvette Z06 production is now complete. 2002 Corvette Z06 models with the last six digits of the VIN ending between 109523 through 110269 were built with the 2001 Z06 wheels. All 2002 Corvette Z06 production with a VIN ending outside of this range will have the regular 2002 Z06 wheel installed.

Due to continued delays in air freight service, we would like to inform you of a temporary change on the Corvette Z06. In order to maintain normal production volume, most Corvette Z06 models built between October 8, 2001 and October 15, 2001 will be assembled with the 2001 Z06 wheels. These wheels, while originating from a different material supplier, are nearly identical in appearance to the 2002 MY Z06 wheel. This change is temporary and limited to vehicles built during the aforementioned timeframe.

We will advise you of the order numbers affected once that information becomes available. If this substitution is unacceptable for one of the affected vehicles, please contact your Market Area Team to review possible resolutions.

Z06Y Lady :( :eek:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Z06Y Lady said:
Z06Y Lady :( :eek:
Hey there... don't frown :(

If you're one of those getting the '01 wheels... you have the best of both worlds... all the changes in the '02 plus the '01 forged rims! :)

IMO, the '01 forged rims are the best. The '02s are nice and look a little beefy (I kinda like that over my '01s) but the '01s are forged aluminum, not cast like the '02s and GM can sugercoat it all they want and say this new cast is stronger, blah blah blah, but forged rims are nicer and in general... forged is stronger than cast. The only reason they went with another supplier is due to supply issues (ironic eh?).

If anyone should be frowning, it's us '01 guys cause you '02 guys are eating up all the reserve '01 rims. What will they give us if we need replacement rims in the future... leftover '02s? :roll:

don

·
Registered
512 Posts
This is interesting. The local dealer Has a black Z06 on the lot. When I first saw it I thought it was 2001 because it had the darker wheels. Then I walked over and looked at the window sticker it said 2002. Now I know what's going on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, if anyone wants to get rid of a set of 01 wheels that are also substitutes for the 02 wheels, please let me know I would be willing to get an extra set. Thank you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'll definitely confirm this on Thursday. My VIN falls in the middle of the range and was built on 10/10. I've heard about this before, but I'm still skeptical. If mine does come with the '01 wheels, I'M KEEPING THEM!!! It's not that big of a concern, but if given the choice, I'd go with forged. JMO.....

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like the look of the '01 wheels better...They have sharper corners which I think look better. But they are VERY close to each other in looks... You have to be a Z06 junkie to tell the difference.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The 01 wheels can be polished, the 02 wheels may be a big problem to polish if possible at all.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I know of 2 customers of mine that have had their 02' s polished, there is no difference in the polishing outcome, they looked great. I have seen one set of 02's chromed and I like them better than the 01' personally because of the slightly thicker "spokes"

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ruking1 said:
Yeah, if anyone wants to get rid of a set of 01 wheels that are are also substitutes for the 02 wheels, please let me know I would be willing to get an extra set. Thank you.
Sorry, But I don't get it. GM says 2002 wheels are lighter AND stronger than the 2001 wheels. So over and over, owners of 2001 cars say the 2001 wheel is better. I'd like to hear from more 2002 buyers who just learned their new 2002 will have the heavier, weaker wheel. I'd be screaming "foul" to GM.

Maybe nobody would be upset if your 2002 came with a 2001 385 hp engine?

I want my 2002 to be 2002! Z06y Lady :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the last four numbers in your VIN# are below 9523 you should have 2002 wheels

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The 01' wheels are slightly stronger in strength, they are forged, the 02' wheels are lighter and they are spun cast, not as strong as forged, but stronger than cast.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aceZ06 said:
If the last four numbers in your VIN# are below 9523 you should have 2002 wheels
My car is 100% 2002! I don't believe the 2001 wheels are
stronger. Chevrolet says no. Who am I to challenge them despite the fact I have two degrees in the strength of materials?

Should we collectively bring a class action law suit against GM for stating the 2002 wheels are lighter and stronger than the 2001 wheel? Sorry, I tend to believe what GM says in press releases.

I'm just the stupid Z06Y Lady I guess. :(

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, in all your studies of strength in materials, what do they say as far as forged vs cast materials. if you want to be more specific, forged aluminum vs spun cast aluminum? And it definitely depends on application also.

A carbon fiber wheel could be much stronger than an aluminum wheel and I have seen them used on race motorcycles... but does that make it a better wheel for general road use? One good pot hole will answer that question for you.

Depending what your degrees are worth to you, if in your shoes, I would put what I have learned about forged vs cast aluminum from those two degrees over anything GM has to say in a press release. But that is totally my opinion.

What else does GM say in those press releases?... 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, right? :roll:

don

Z06Y Lady said:

My car is 100% 2002! I don't believe the 2001 wheels are
stronger. Chevrolet says no. Who am I to challenge them despite the fact I have two degrees in the strength of materials?

Should we collectively bring a class action law suit against GM for stating the 2002 wheels are lighter and stronger than the 2001 wheel? Sorry, I tend to believe what GM says in press releases.

I'm just the stupid Z06Y Lady I guess. :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Just for curiousity sake, my '02 wheels have every other spoke on the inboard side "recessed" (aka backcut?). Perhaps this is one reason why they are lighter than '01. Are forged '01 Z06 wheels recessed as well? What is the purpose of this and why only every other spoke?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am one of the ones affected. I just checked my vin against what Z06Y lady said and I fall in the middle. I will be talking with some of the chevy people after I actually look at the wheels to verify it. Maybe they will discount me a set of the '02 wheels. Wishful thinking, but who knows.
I will be using their advertising against them, regardless of what it really is.

The funny thing is, I probably would have never known, at least unless I saw two of them parked next to each other with the different wheels.

I plan on checking the backs of the wheels to see if they are cut out.
As far as the weight, I am not concerned. I am not that competitive in driving the car, so a couple of pounds won't mean much to me.
chris

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A way to verify if you have the 02 wheel is to look at the inside of the spokes.If it says stamped "speedline" you have the 02 wheel.I got the 02 wheel and could not be happier.Looks aggressive just like the rest of the car.Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm not sure which wheels I have on mine, and frankly don't care all that much. Visually, I'm not astute enough to know the difference .. to my eye, they look the same (although I've never seen them side by side). I've heard that the cast nature of the '02s make them difficult to strip of the clearcoat and polish .. but that doesn't matter to me anyway... If I decide I want polished, I'll get some chromies instead, and keep my stock wheels.

I would bet that those folks who are waiting for their cars would rather get '01 wheels than have to wait longer for their car. Just a guess. It is ironic that they changed wheel manufacturers for '02 to avoid the delivery problems they had with the 01s.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
don527 said:
Well, in all your studies of strength in materials, what do they say as far as forged vs cast materials. if you want to be more specific, forged aluminum vs spun cast aluminum? And it definitely depends on application also.

A carbon fiber wheel could be much stronger than an aluminum wheel and I have seen them used on race motorcycles... but does that make it a better wheel for general road use? One good pot hole will answer that question for you.

Depending what your degrees are worth to you, if in your shoes, I would put what I have learned about forged vs cast aluminum from those two degrees over anything GM has to say in a press release. But that is totally my opinion.

What else does GM say in those press releases?... 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, right? :roll:

don

My degrees are worth quite a bit to me as they help me to make a pretty good living. Not all forged products are stronger than all cast products. If alloy content is constant, the forged product is generally stronger than cast, however, there are alloys which are not forgeable. (Hot shortness) The strongest indicator of strength is usually grain size which is refined by forging. The properties of forgings are also highly directional as a result of metal flow. It's possible to get fine grain size by rapid solidification as well. Strength in aluminum alloys is also achieved by precipation hardening. I don't know specifically what the alloy content is in the 2001 and 2002 wheels, but it is likely different due to the intended processing of forging or casting.

I still think the 2001 Z06 will do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and that the 2002 will do the same in 3.9 seconds with the right drivers. The 20 extra horsepower and lighter, stronger wheels are undoubtedly responsible for the decrease of 0.1 second. Z06Y Lady :eek: :lol:

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Having owned both model years and...

have done some quick DD, I can not find anything regarding GM stating that the '02 wheels are stronger than the '01's. Although I am going with the HRE 547's I would have prefered the 01 wheels over the '02's because of the forging and the thinner more edged spokes. I also don't care for the way the '02 spokes are gouged insides the spokes to very slightly lower the weight of the wheels. Perhaps the reason that the '02 spokes are thicker is due to the casting and co$t. Even though they had a problem with the '01 supplier last year , GM could have still stayed with a forged wheel through another supplier at the same specs. $$$ is what I think. Bean counters always rule! FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: Having owned both model years and...

In this press release, they dont actually say the 'wheel' is stronger. but i have heard it somewhere that the '02s are claimed to be stronger.

http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page6.htm

I'm not a big fan of press releases... only because we know which department the press releases come from... and it aint the engineering dept. ;)

don

FUBU69 said:
have done some quick DD, I can not find anything regarding GM stating that the '02 wheels are stronger than the '01's. Although I am going with the HRE 547's I would have prefered the 01 wheels over the '02's because of the forging and the thinner more edged spokes. I also don't care for the way the '02 spokes are gouged insides the spokes to very slightly lower the weight of the wheels. Perhaps the reason that the '02 spokes are thicker is due to the casting and co$t. Even though they had a problem with the '01 supplier last year , GM could have still stayed with a forged wheel through another supplier at the same specs. $$$ is what I think. Bean counters always rule! FUBU69/LES

1 - 20 of 22 Posts