Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a new set of F1 Supercars installed and was told by the Goodyear installers that my rear rims were slightly "Out of Round."

They stated that there was no evidence of any type of impact on either wheel or tires and that they may possibly be defective rims?

They said the fronts were perfect.

They also said that I probably would not notice any effects while driving and if any a very slight vibration.

Anyone ever heard of this?

I have never hit anything including any large pot holes, so I am a bit perplexed here.

JLA

·
Registered
0 Posts
First time I ever heard of this...ever!!

When the wheels are balanced at the factory, they then go through an audit machine which double checks the tires and wheels. Any discrepancy should have been kicked out. These machines are calibrated daily.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank,

That is what I am thinking. Given the published information on the strength of these rims, I am still wondering how this could have happened.

I was in Bowling Green during the entire build process of my vehicle, so I know what you are talking about the processes.

I saved the old tires just incase there are any questions as to if there were an impact or not.

JLA

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Out

I would get a second opinion on this.............the dealer is OUT, as they would blame the retailer, the retailer is covering their 6, and leaving you with the results.........

However, I find it VERY difficult to believe on a FORGED '01 wheel that they would/could have exerted enough force to damage them.( other than cosmetically.)

Cast wheels yes, forged no..................forgings will usually crack before they will distort........:-?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Actually, the wheels would also have to pass quality control at the wheel manufacturer. I'm not saying one couldn't have slipped through, but chances are slim to impossible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly what the installer said.

He stated that if the rims were hit hard enough to make them "Out of Round" then there would be some type damage to either the rim or tire that you could see.

Both rims are clean as well as the tires.

I do not know what else could have caused what they are saying.

Again, they said that they were "Slightly" "Out of Round." and that it was visible on the balancing machine.

I don't seem to notice anything while driving.

I was not there when the tires were installed or balanced so I didn't see what they were talking about with my own eyes.

JLA

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
JLA.... how did they determine this? I hope not visually. :(

The best way is if they use the Hunter 9700 machine which measures lateral and radial runout of the wheels and tires.

They could also do a printout for you which shows the exact measurements taken.... hard to dispel this evidence.

If this was done properly.... you would have your answers. :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
JLA

After further thoughts................( a dangerous thing)........I think the likelihood of the new TIRES being out of round is probably the case.......
I have never see a RIM tested BEFORE a tire was mounted......so, they are ASSUMING the rims are the problem............

I don't agree......with the scenario you have given.
It's MUCH more likely the tires are the culprit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agent Z06,

They stated that this was done "Visually" on a balancing machine that was something like

"Lugcentric"

Not sure if this was the correct term. But they stated that it mounts the rim on lugs just like it is on the car for more correct balancing.

They said the fronts were perfect "Visually" but the rears were "Slightly Out of Round"

They also told me that they did not mount the balancing weights on the outside of the rim like from the factory, but instead mounted the weight on the inner edges and behind the spokes.

They said that all rims "Balanced Out" but I think that one had to be "Counter Balanced"

JLA

·
Registered
837 Posts
Recheck the wheels using a Hunter GSP9700

JLA.

The machine to check them on is a Hunter GSP-9700 wheel vibration control machine. If your Goodyear dealer used this machine (and is honest) the reading would be accurate. If he used something else, I seek out the Hunter and have them rechecked. Here is a link to find a Hunter in your area.

Find a Hunter GSP9700

The Hunter is capable of finding the optimal relative position of the tire on the wheel to achieve best overall balance. It's the machine used for Indy cars among others.

If a wheel is slightly out of round, it may not matter so long as the overall balance of the wheel/tire can be obtained. Hunter machine has the best chance of achieving this.

Ranger

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thank you Ranger for echoing my sentiments. :)

I purchased the Hunter GSP 9700 as soon as it became available to me a couple/few years ago.

It has paid for itself several times by eliminating comebacks due to force variations that are unable to be 'seen' by the human eye. :cool:

GM and other manufacturers actually use this same piece of equipment in their factories.... as well as Indy race teams, etc.

It is the best technology available to date.... JLA, I hope you take advantage of it. ;)

P.S. What they did is called match balancing JLA.... not as effective as the Hunter 9700. :(

·
Registered
837 Posts
AgentZ06 said:
...I purchased the Hunter GSP 9700 as soon as it became available to me a couple/few years ago.

It has paid for itself several times by eliminating comebacks due to force variations that are unable to be 'seen' by the human eye. :cool:

GM and other manufacturers actually use this same piece of equipment in their factories.... as well as Indy race teams, etc....
Thanks for the elaboration, AgentZ06. Great testimony.

My local Goodyear dealer has the Hunter and has used it on my 98 and Z06 plus several buddies' Corvettes. It has eliminated out-of-balance vibrations on our cars.

I put a Goodyear dealer warranty on my F1SC which includes as-needed rebalance of the wheels. I routinely do this every 3-4K miles. All that and they torque the lugnuts properly too. :)

Ranger

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I have few questions.

1st, how do tell if the "Tires" or "Rims" are "Out of Round?"

If the "Rims" are out of round, what exactly should this mean to me? Show I obtain replacement rims or should I just keep them as they are?

If the "Tires" are "Out of Round" then I will get them replaced I guess.

I guess I am just trying to determine how serious this is and if I should be very concerned.

JLA

·
Registered
837 Posts
JLA said:
I guess I have few questions....I am just trying to determine how serious this is and if I should be very concerned.
Let the seat of your pant be your guide. If your wheels/tires no longer vibrate at any speed, don't bother doing anything. If they still exhibit perceptible vibration, then seek out a Hunter GSP9700 and let its sophisticated hardware and software determine whether ANYTHING is out of round or just improperly balanced.

If you want to know HOW the Hunter makes the determination of "out-of-round," you'll need to check the link I posted above and do some reading. Hunter explains it on their site.

Ranger

·
Registered
400 Posts
Problem. What problem?

There does not to appear to have been a problem before the new tires were installed. Right? There are no symptoms now of an out of round wheel or tire condition (read problem). So unless you are merely looking for yet another problem you don't have a problem!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will end up getting the rims checked with the Hunter machine if they were not already by the Goodyear installer.

If the rims are "Out Of Round", then off to the dealer.

If the tires are "Out of Round", then back to Goodyear.

If everything is ok, Thank God!!!!!!!!

Would be interested in hearing if anyone has had this experience.

I will post the results here later.

JLA

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ended up getting my wheels checked by the "Hunter" machine that Ranger spoke of.

Turns out that I do indeed have an "Out of Round" or better described "bent" rim. Saw it with my own eyes. Only one rim was "Out of Round" and not two as reported by the Goodyear installer.

I will post more details of the findings and further results later when I have more time.

JLA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts