Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you modifiers think of the redesign on the intake port on the airbox. From the looks of it, the area has been increased significantly (~4X) compared to the 2001 design.

I'm thinking just a drop in K&N filter and it's probably a pretty good setup. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
ZeeOhSix:

I like the revised air filter cover and have seen it during a preview of the new Z06. This cover will fit the '01 air box housing, and as soon as my new one arrives, I will post the GM part number so any one can buy it from their dealer. Hope this helps.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know if the K&N for the C5 will be the same for the 2002 Z06? I'm assuming that only the airbox cover has been opened up, and that the filter is still the same??

·
Registered
267 Posts
According to the GM Z06 engineer we had at our meeting last month, the new air box opening was worth almost 2 hp. Another 2-3 hp could be gained by removing the MAS screen

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I think the new airbox is a definite improvement, but still not gonna be as effective as installing one of the cold air rammers from Vortex/Halltech.

I get my '02 at BG next week, and will probably have Ernie install a Vortex while I am at Carlisle on 8/25. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Another area I want to address pretty quickly is changing the t-stat and having the fans turn on more quickly. These cars run too hot, just like my C4s did - significant hit on power...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is the part number for the 02 airbox.
List price is 60.00
Most dealers wont stock them so its a special order item. Usually takes just a few days to get.

"COPTERJOHN"

H

·
0 Posts

On 2001-08-16 02:49, COPTERJOHN spewed forth this drivel:
Here is the part number for the 02 airbox.
List price is 60.00
Most dealers wont stock them so its a special order item. Usually takes just a few days to get.

"COPTERJOHN"
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Save your money. There will be plenty of 02 boxes in our shop, that we'll give away._________________
2002 Z06 Museum Delivery 7-23-01.
2000 LS1
1999 LS1 Engine and Drivetrain available for sale. Hood doors, seats, some body panels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cold air is definitely the way to go however its not the only way. some people are funny about after market mods and feel a certain comfort with factory goodies. I think the 02 air box /screen removal and K&N will give you an added kick if you want to stay on the conservative side. If you want to get radical, pop in one of the many cold air systems that are available. Its all a matter of what you are comfortable spending and doing to your car.
If Halltech wants to send me all of those extra air boxes that will be cluttering up his shop I would love to sell them at discount prices to the conservative side /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I don't mind spending money on mod's. I do have a problem spending on after market systems that increce posible water problems. Thats why I tryed a cut open lid found .1-.5mph improvement and went back to the safety of the stock lid. Think I have to have one of those 02 lids. Each to his own. Ric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts