Corvette Z06 Forum banner

2002 exhaust rattle

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Corvette Bob 
#1 ·
I've got this exhaust rattle when the car is warmed up.When you open the door slightly and rev the motor a little with the clutch in as the rpms are coming down there is this rattling sound coming from the exaust,anyone else have it ? This has nothing to do with the clutch only the exasut system. :confused:

#3 ·
Got it, no worries. The exhaust has a lot of rattles and "tinking" sounds when unloaded and while decelerating.

Just keep the throttle hammered. ;)

#7 · (Edited)
Turbo,
My 02 has the rattle too (since new, 3500 miles ago), the 01 didn't. I thought it was a bad A/C clutch from the cockpit, just had a friend rev it so I could isolate the noise and the sound seems to be coming out the exaust! Is it finally the famed "bad muffler bearing" that mechanics have been joking about for years?? What's up?? I won't take my car to the dealer, as I am of little faith.............. If you decide to take yours in please keep us informed. This rattle along with the trademark clutch rattle makes this thing sound like a POS.... Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade this thing for anything but another Z06!

Bob

#9 ·
From what I understand (as I freaked out on this as well), it has something to do with the exaust system itself, and was told that putting in an X pipe to replce the H pipe would kill most of the noise.

We shall see....

Jeff

#10 ·
Exhaust rattle

I have it also. I had the exhaust replaced with one from an '01 that was not rattling. Everything from the headers back replaced -- no difference.

I would have bet my left nut it was coming from the exhaust system, but it must be from somewhere in the engine, such that you can't hear it from the engine bay, but can hear it come out the exhaust.

Makes the car sound POS. My '01 did not have this, but then I've driven other '02's that didn't have it either.

My dealer said "We had another one that did that." Implying that it's not a problem if more than one car does it. Made me think of the oil consumption problem. What a stupid thing to say. If this were a Mercedes, they would take the whole car apart to find the problem. GM doesn't like warranty work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.