Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this old thread about touch-up paint for the Z06 wheels.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=960&highlight=Wheel+Paint

After seeing 2001 next to 2002 Z06 wheels, it looks like the 2002 wheels maybe slightly lighter grey paint. Has anyone tried touching up their 2002 wheels yet?

What happened to mine was one of the clip on weights was one of those thin pieces of metal (no lead on it at all -- in fact it might only be an indicator that the wheel has been balanced) gouged the paint when it was installed and/or removed when I had my wheels balanced with tape-on weights.

I'm so pissed that GM uses these "indicators" on the wheels. The coupe I had with the polished aluminum wheels happened to have these on the outside of BOTH front wheels, and they ended up walking around the rim and eating nice gouges in them. GM ended up buying two new wheels over that one.

Damn it, if these metal clips are just to indicate the wheels has been balance, why don't they use some other method of indication. I'm sure I'll get no where, but I am going to call GM Customer Service and complain about this.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
ZEEOHSIX, the '02 wheels are a few shades lighter. I don't mind the color change of the wheels, I just like the forged quality , thinner and sharper edges of the '01's. Too bad the '01 wheel supplier could not live up to GM's demand. FUBU/LES

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone tried to get touch-up paint for the 2002 wheels yet? If so, what's the scoop :D.

FUBU69 -- I had a chance to look at 01 and 02 wheels side-by-side, and I must say that the the 02 wheels are much smoother finished than the 01 wheels. You can actually see the sand cast roughness in the surface of the 01 wheels, where on the 02 wheels they look super smooth -- and the clearcoat finish on the 02 wheels is very impressive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts