Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Z06 Runs 12.1 @ 118.77 MPH

Guess what intake is onboard? TRIC AL4.

Our customer Sean McKesson now has the highest trap speed of any Halltech customer. The e.t. is about right, but he thinks that there is another .1 or .2 that can be shaved off.

More details as I get them from Sean. He was also running headers, but since the pups are gone, the improvement with LT headers is not as great as on the 2001.

The 2002s are "Bad to the Bone"

Sean also has a 2001 Z06 with the TRIC that has dynoed at 367.7 RWHP or 433 HP.

Jim

Our testing begins tomorrow on the TRIC (Tunnel Ram Induction) which should show consistant numbers at the dyno and the track.

I am hoping to get the car to the track Saturday.

Jim

·
Registered
464 Posts
:cool:

2Charmed

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Jim, that's very interesting and incredible performance for a $50k car. Please keep us all informed of the TRIC's test results this week. TIA.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TRIC vs the T1

We intend to get both systems to the track.

Here's my guess: 11.90 @ 118 for the TRIC. 12.1 @ 116 for the T1.

They both make 367 RWHP, but the TRIC gets some ram air from the chin spoiler high pressure area, increasing mph performance.

We will see.

Jim

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time Slips

IMA Z06 said:
How bout some timeslips.........

:) :)
As soon as Sean sends them, I will post them as I always do. I wouldn't expect anyone to take our word for it as they do other vendor posts.

Jim

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Re: Time Slips

Halltech said:

As soon as Sean sends them, I will post them as I always do. I wouldn't expect anyone to take our word for it as they do other vendor posts.

Jim
Jim, I have noticed someone asking for the incremental times from ANYONE who just posts an et and MPH. Do you really feal singled out?You shoulden't. Sean turned an awesome time, especialy to start out. I think there is better than a couple of tens left, with a 119. More like mid-low 11's if you can hook. Headers are the bigest single mod on the 01-02 Z06 for shure. As a comparison wasen't ther an 01 with headers,donaldson and et streets that ran 11.84 at about 115-16? Keep the shiney side up!Later, Ric

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
11.99 @ 117.6

Alex ran 11.99 @ 117.6 backed by 12.01 @ 118

Sean will send the numbers and I'll post them as soon as I get them.

Jim

·
Registered
814 Posts
AL--4 and T-1?

Jim those are awesome numbers-with that mph that car should be able to run 11.50's on some decent tires. Please explain to me the difference between the AL-4 and the Tric-i'm a little confused. I am now seriously considering these for my car. Also can you get a complete bolt-on off-road pipe? I'm sure Bassani made one but when I called them the girl didn't seem to sure. I don't want to cut my pipe I want to replace the whole thing so I can go back to stock-they test emissions up here now. Thanks

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Jim, I think you posted ala carte prices before but I can't find the info now. Could you please post that info again?

I already have the CF "Cobra" MAG but nothing else. What do you suggest to complete an intake system on an otherwise bone stock '02 Z06? I'm leaning toward a sidewinder so I don't have to cut a hole or worry about water intrusion, but I still have a related concern.

I don't think this concern has been addressed yet from what I've read about the Sidewinder. Does the tunnel ram pipe elbow horizontally offset the wedge filter directly behind the driver side inlet vent screen opening? This location (ideally) is where outside air is "forced" in to the path of the filter element. This may have advantages to make the product more effective, as an engine performance enhancer, but would mean the engine's air cleaner intake is unprotected, susceptible to another form of water intrusion.

I have not seen an installation on anyone's car yet, so I cannot verify the actual wedge flter location for myself. The length of the right angle pipe elbow horizontally appears to be critical in this regard. From pictures of the product (uninstalled) the filter does not appear to reach over that far from the centerline of the car, but I am not sure and that is what I am trying to learn. If it was close to the vent screen, but not completely exposed to the inlet opening, some protection would be afforded from bad weather. ?

I would think the latter intentional by design. The filter should be located as close as possible to that opening to get good suction on an outside cold air source. Is this technically the reason why the Sidewinder is NOT considered a "forced" air intake system?

It's main benefit is as a "cold" air intake system, working under vacuum pressure. Perhaps some additional benefit is derived from driving the car at high speed when the void inside the front bumper becomes ever so slightly pressurized.

Jim, please comment and others welcome too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
replacing cats + water ingestion

1) Bassani does make a "cat replacement". I have it. It consists of two parts, the front "off-road" X-pipe and the rear X-pipe. (You end up with two X-pipes.) The two sections connect together and bolt onto the exhaust manifolds in the front and the muffler pipes in the rear. It's about a 1 hour job to switch back to stock. You also need two "O2-sensor simulators" for the rear pair of O2 sensors because you loose the cats.

2) Everyone seems to be concerned about ingesting water with the HallTech TRIC system. I don't understand this. Are we trying to use our Z06s as boats? A heavy rain will *not* effect the TRIC. The radiator intake does not get splash from the front tires. What's the issue here? A Corvette is not an amphibious vehicle. Don't drive through standing water.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: replacing cats + water ingestion

JimGreen said:
1) Bassani does make a "cat replacement". I have it. It consists of two parts, the front "off-road" X-pipe and the rear X-pipe. (You end up with two X-pipes.) The two sections connect together and bolt onto the exhaust manifolds in the front and the muffler pipes in the rear. It's about a 1 hour job to switch back to stock. You also need two "O2-sensor simulators" for the rear pair of O2 sensors because you loose the cats.

2) Everyone seems to be concerned about ingesting water with the HallTech TRIC system. I don't understand this. Are we trying to use our Z06s as boats? A heavy rain will *not* effect the TRIC. The radiator intake does not get splash from the front tires. What's the issue here? A Corvette is not an amphibious vehicle. Don't drive through standing water.
You are exactly correct. RAin is and never will be a problem for the TRIC. The location of the filter, however, requires care if you are driving in flooded areas. Best advise, don't drive in flooded areas unless you have the T-1 Intake.

The filter actually sits much higher than the stock filter, for better protection than stock if you decide to play submarine.

I have driven through terrential downpours with the TRIC and never had a problem. Never had a report of a Z06 or any 2001 or 02 with a hydrolock problem, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

The T-1 doesn't get air from the bottom the way the TRIC does. It makes 367 RWHP/357 torque on our 2002 Z06, so if you live where is rains alot, why take a chance?

Jim

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Three members running 12.1s at 118 +

Three members are on the verge of 11 second passes and Halltech is behind their efforts.

All three members have made theses passes with just the TRIC or T1 (except for one with headers).

The challange is to hit 11.90s before I do. I will be running our Z06 T-1 in the very near future. It has the HP to run 11s, but I am a bit rusty launching.

Here's the challange:

1st one to break into the 11s without any further mods wins. I will send a special Halltech Shirt with 11 Second Club on the front with the members name and e.t.

We will also send a free T-1 filter to the winner.

Have fun.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
286 Posts
Huge file video 12.1 188.77

Sorry this file is so damn big but I dont have the time to take the size down or edit it, we are to busy at the moment. If you would like to see the pass take this link it is very shakey. If you are still on a dial up you might want to
pass or grab a beer or two while waiting.:guiness:

http://www.opticwebsolutions.com/racing/index.html

:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts