Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to drive a friend's '02 M6 C-5 yesterday, which has 780 miles and is bone stock. I was quite impressed and felt that the car had several features the Z06 didn't match up to. My Z06 is stock except for a Halltech T-1 intake.
1) SOTP feel- It accelerated from 0-50 almost as quickly as mine does, but without the growl of the Z's exhaust. The quietness of the exhaust almost deceives you into feeling nothing is happening, but it shoots up fast and smooth.
2) In Performance Mode (or whatever the stiffest adjustable suspension is) the car seemed to handle sharp turns better than the Z06. If felt more nimble, more like the "on rails" feeling. I couldn't pinpoint why but the Z feels like it can handle curves easily, but the C-5 reacted in a more "nimble" sensation.
3) The clutch is way too light for my liking, but the throws seem shorter. I wonder why.

My friend, who has raced a lot of cars, said he expected to feel a greater difference in the acceleration between my Z and his car, but didn't notice much difference. He said the '02 C-5's engines supposedly were almost 390 HP and an improvement from the '01 C-5's in torque, but were detuned to allow the Z to rate higher. He thought with an intake and upgraded gears (from the performance stock of 3:23's? to 4:11's) the car would take on the Z in the short runs easily.
After riding with him in both cars and driving both together, I can't say I disagree.
I love my Z but was surprised to find these differences.
Anyone else compared an '02 with the Z and found similar results?

Or, are our two experiences we noticed not founded in any facts?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can't say that I've had them both on the track or street side-by-side, but I've driven my buddy's 01 C5 and my Z feels much stronger on acceleration and cornering. Not a very objective testing though I might add. Without measurement devices, the sound of the Z's exhaust just "sounds faster"....yeah, I know........

·
Registered
568 Posts
The base C5 does have a good bit more torque below 4000.

The smaller tire size might make it seem more nimble.

As to de-tuning (as opposed to not having certain performance features), I kinda doubt it.

The additional RPM range of the Z06 is also an advantage when it comes delivered torque multiplication.

But can there be any doubt.. The base C5 is an awesome ride. And there's a lot to be said for a quiet exhaust when it comes to 'stealth mode'.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
BrianK said:
... And there's a lot to be said for a quiet exhaust when it comes to 'stealth mode'.
Thank God for stealth mode! It's the only way I get to sneak up on pretty girls driving up the road.:lol:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I owned two '01 C5's, a Coupe and a Convertable (both 6 speeds, conv. had Z51 suspension) and I can honestly say the '02 Z06 out handles and out performs both of them easily. I could feel this difference immediately behind the wheel in the '02 Z. I will say though, that the Coupe and Convertable perform, ride and handle great!
The real test would be to run them down the road together.:D

carzzy

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your two experiences are definitely unfounded in any facts.

Here's an example dyno of a 2002 coupe

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=186817

Max Power: 281.2 @ 5400 RPM
Max Torque: [email protected] 4000 RPM

I'm just showing you the avg dyno post for a coupe will be in the 300rwhp range. People are posting '02 Z06s at around 350-355rwhp. If you have a intake mod then your car should be solidly in the 350s... and I'm being conservative.

Unless there is something wrong with your car, your SOTP-meter is way off and should not use it for any future posts unless recalibrated because people may believe what you just posted as fact and it takes a long post like this to straighten things out.

Please dont take my comments in offense and I for one can understand when you say the '02 may not feel that it accelerates as quickly as the Coupe since I can say that after installing the revalved '02 shocks in my '01 Z, my SOTP-meter has notice a slight dip in "oomph" under hard launch yet I know it can't be any slower from just a shock change.

But, to be conservative, your Z should be a few tenths faster than the coupe... with the weight savings and about 50rwhp advantage, I would go out on a limb and say .5 second quicker and if you cant feel it you shouldnt be posting by "feel."

And don't let your friend convince you of non truths... the LS1 "detuned over the LS6?" If he means completely different heads, valvetrain, cam, intake and freer flowing exhaust with no pups for '02... then he's right... it is detuned.

As far as handling, if your buddy has track experience, then he should know that a few quick turns on the street wont tell you anything on how it will handle in the track. You are probably better off going to

http://www.sccaforums.com/

to get a more accurate assessment on the Z06's handling under autox conditions.

Your friend is close and wasnt completely off base with his mod recommendations for his coupe... I have seen coupes with intake and exhaust mods come close to my '01 Z dyno numbers.. same dyno, say day. And better gearing will help narrow the gap but not take the Z "easily." But I'm comparing that to my '01... he's still got 20hp on your '02 to contend with.

Again, no offense. I'm just calling it as I see it.

Don
LAvette said:
I had a chance to drive a friend's '02 M6 C-5 yesterday, which has 780 miles and is bone stock. I was quite impressed and felt that the car had several features the Z06 didn't match up to. My Z06 is stock except for a Halltech T-1 intake.
1) SOTP feel- It accelerated from 0-50 almost as quickly as mine does, but without the growl of the Z's exhaust. The quietness of the exhaust almost deceives you into feeling nothing is happening, but it shoots up fast and smooth.
2) In Performance Mode (or whatever the stiffest adjustable suspension is) the car seemed to handle sharp turns better than the Z06. If felt more nimble, more like the "on rails" feeling. I couldn't pinpoint why but the Z feels like it can handle curves easily, but the C-5 reacted in a more "nimble" sensation.
3) The clutch is way too light for my liking, but the throws seem shorter. I wonder why.

My friend, who has raced a lot of cars, said he expected to feel a greater difference in the acceleration between my Z and his car, but didn't notice much difference. He said the '02 C-5's engines supposedly were almost 390 HP and an improvement from the '01 C-5's in torque, but were detuned to allow the Z to rate higher. He thought with an intake and upgraded gears (from the performance stock of 3:23's? to 4:11's) the car would take on the Z in the short runs easily.
After riding with him in both cars and driving both together, I can't say I disagree.
I love my Z but was surprised to find these differences.
Anyone else compared an '02 with the Z and found similar results?

Or, are our two experiences we noticed not founded in any facts?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I drive all kinds of Vettes every day, from the coupe to the Z. I can tell you without question that the Z is quicker and handles better that the coupe with a 6spd and Z51. JMHO:)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
99 6spd C5 vs. 2002 Z06

I had a 99 6 speed with some standard bolt-ons including a cold air intake, new exhaust, reprogrammed computer, etc.

To me there was a big difference in acceleration and power between the cars. See my review at:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7199

I didn't think that there was that big of a difference between the 99 and the 2002 C5. If not then I would guess that the comparison would be close.

Most magazines also show a considerable difference in 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times between the Z06 and the coupe/convertible.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I drove 3 cars all the same day on the same track, 2.25 road course during the Justin Bell Driving Experience. The 3 cars were all 2001s and all stock; SS Camaro, C5-Coupe and Z06. We went back and forth from one car to the other. I can tell you that there is a significant difference between the 3, including the wide margin from coupe to Z06. The Z06 is is night and day faster on the accelleration from a dead stop, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1.5 seconds to 100. It also pulled faster from 50 to 120. It handles superior to the coupe in turns at speed as well. The Z06 came out of the turns in better shape allowing for more throttle. One of the things I enjoyed about the driving school was getting the chance to go from one car to the other on the track. The best place to do a comparison is on the track as we did at the driving school. The Z06 is the hands down winner. No debate!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry not buying it either..there is a considerable difference from a 02 coupe versus 02 ZO6..i drove a modded 01 coupe Z51,6sp,vortex ,prt exhaust system..aprox 7000 miles,sold it in july..my 02 ZO6 is bone stock except for a K&N panel filter..out corners ,out accelerates,out brakes ..car is mucher tighter,you can definately feel SOTP:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
The 02 C5 you drove must have been a pick of the litter. I've driven 01 Camaro SS and an 01 C5. And truthfully the Camaro SS felt a little stronger than the C5. Not too mention the Camaro owner (my brother) has whipped a few C5's. Thats why I bought a Z06.

In my experience driving the Z06 there's no comparison in SOTP, HP or handling to the C5 or Camaro SS. The Z06 outperforms both cars hands down.

To see for yourself. Do a 60mph roll-on with your 02 C5 buddy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess the SOTP meter is always relative. Perhaps the nimbleness is more a tire width issue that feels like the C-5 is turning on rails with its thinner tires.
I'm glad to hear so much reassurance from everyone that the Z06 is so much stronger than the '02 C-5 in all's opinions. I'd hate to think the '02 C-5 had such a close performance credential.
But all the comparisons were for '01's and '99's, except for Don527's passionate excerpt on what's been dynoed for the record already.
My only point was not to confuse the otherwise easily impressionable (who can't read a post's content clearly, as Don suggested some would) but to state my worldly experience and see what others experienced.

I'm not the most experienced driver so my friend could take me on a rolling start by virtue of his skills.
Perhaps we could have another couple of similarly skilled drivers do the run, and also the dynos, as suggested by others.
That I'd like to see just to validate what's been stated.
That would do the trick for me, although I realize the "official" test runs show a clear difference. Not that I would ever doubt the General's stats...

·
Registered
142 Posts
As I recall, there are no performance difference's between the 01 and 02 C5. It sports the Same LS1 350HP setup at the 01 did.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
normjack said:
As I recall, there are no performance difference's between the 01 and 02 C5. It sports the Same LS1 350HP setup at the 01 did.
norm,
You beat me to it, I was just gonna post that. In '01 they increased the HP to 350 from 345 and also an increase in torque at a lower RPM. The '02 C5 is exactly the same as the "01.

carzzy

·
Registered
528 Posts
LAvette said:
I'm not the most experienced driver so my friend could take me on a rolling start by virtue of his skills.
Perhaps we could have another couple of similarly skilled drivers do the run, and also the dynos, as suggested by others.
That I'd like to see just to validate what's been stated.
That would do the trick for me, although I realize the "official" test runs show a clear difference. Not that I would ever doubt the General's stats...
LAVette,

You don't need to be an experience driver to take anybody with a stock C5 in your stock 02 Z06. Unless, you forgot to step on the gas pedal then that'll be different. I'm not an experience driver either, but I bet you I'll beat 99.99% of all stock C5 in my stock 01 Z06.

I raced an 01 or 02 C5 (small oval chrome exhaust tips) the other night and gave him 3 rounds of badly knocked out before he finally gave up. There is no contest either from a dead stop to 1/4 mile or from 70mph roll-on. My very first time ever at the track, I laid down a 12.80 1/4 mile. First run, without even know what the hell I was suppose to do. I've never seen a bone stock C5 broke into the 12s at all. On my 3rd run of the same day, I put down a 12.59. I know I could of done better that day.

The C5 is one fine car. I'm in no position to put it down or anything like that. If there was no Z06, most of us are driving C5s right now, no doubt. In performance, the Z06 wins hand down. I'm talking about the 01 Z06, not even the 20 extra HP of the 02 Z06.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts