Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at afew 05 vettes,I have concluded that the sawed off rear end with the hatch back is just plain ugly! Yhis car would look much better with the hardtop! The z06 might be better but it also should be a hardtop. :zboobie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Although the looks appeal to many, The Hardtop has poor aerodynamics's when compared to the fastback design. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
IT L GO said:
Although the looks appeal to many, The Hardtop has poor aerodynamics's when compared to the fastback design. :cheers:

Only on the same car. :)

The new Z06 is no better in c/d than the earlier one, and likely worse in total drag since it is taller and wider and probably has a greater frontal area.

GM continues to say one thing and do another. If they were truly obsessed with aero, they shouldn't have chopped the front and rear overhangs. There's a reason Bonneville streamliners look the way they do. :)

That said, and with all due respect to Kirk Bennion, at some point, styling has to come into play or all cars will look alike.

All raindrops do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
bobby778 said:
After looking at afew 05 vettes,I have concluded that the sawed off rear end with the hatch back is just plain ugly! Yhis car would look much better with the hardtop! The z06 might be better but it also should be a hardtop. :zboobie:
i completely agree with you. i really wish they would make a hardtop version. Ive never liked how the rear window sloping so far toward the rear of the car makes the car look so much shorter. just my 2 cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A red butt Ive seen, a blue butt means it had the s--- kicked out of it. That explains why it is short. :guiness:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
rwd said:
Only on the same car. :)

The new Z06 is no better in c/d than the earlier one, and likely worse in total drag since it is taller and wider and probably has a greater frontal area.

GM continues to say one thing and do another. If they were truly obsessed with aero, they shouldn't have chopped the front and rear overhangs. There's a reason Bonneville streamliners look the way they do. :)

That said, and with all due respect to Kirk Bennion, at some point, styling has to come into play or all cars will look alike.

All raindrops do.
To me there is a difference between C/D and Aerodynamics. At high speeds the Hardtop design gets down right squirrelly compared to the Coupe. Why do you think John Lingenfelter chose the Coupe when he made his 226 MPH run? :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
IT L GO said:
To me there is a difference between C/D and Aerodynamics. At high speeds the Hardtop design gets down right squirrelly compared to the Coupe. Why do you think John Lingenfelter chose the Coupe when he made his 226 MPH run? :cheers:
My guess would be because he thought it would give him the highest top speed. I agree completely that stability is important, but in that situation, speed trumps it. It's no good being stable and slow. :)

In any case, most of this stuff is a non-issue for street cars, so making it one is a design choice in itself. Arguably, they could have continued basing the racecar on the coupe and still built a separate notchback- they still build a convertible, and it's not race-based. That said, I'm not sure their motives and future plans are completely clear at this stage.

My point is that while claiming to be doing things for maximum performance, they've also done a number of things that undercut achieving that goal. They want low drag, but they've shortened the car; they want torsional rigidity, but they've made it a notchback. It's the double-talk that I object to.

And I'd still like to see an aftermarket hatch piece that has a shorter rear glass and more SMC like a notchback. :cheers:

And thanks for the pic, PerforminNorman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now lets all get real. How many vette owners know there top speed? I disagree, the 05 could and should have been a hardtop!! Too much rear window, way too much! :ity:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts
Nice looking bums to me :eyes:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top