Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our first opportunity to do some mods on a 2009 this past Friday. This car was brand new with less than 100kms on it. We installed our level one package and are pretty happy with the results. The car baselined at 426 RWHP and showed a gain of about 40 RWHP after the mods. The mods included long tube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, B&B cat back, and a Vararam cold air intake. We did not have time to give it a tune, and I'm confident we can get some more out of it. We only did one pull after the mods and the car was hot with no cool down, so I'm also confident we could have seen a little more if we had more time to let it cool before we did the pull. The seat of the pants difference in throttle response and mid range is night and day, and SPi as well as our customer are very happy with the results so far.
Here are a couple of vids for you guys.

[

Attachments

·
21,321 Posts
Those are great numbers. Put a 160 stat and a tune, it should be close to 500, but those figures might have to wait until the engine loosens up a bit.

Seriously, these cars are so rich from the factory it isn't funny.

Did you get the SES light after header install?

·
Registered
2 Posts
..If anyone in the Toronto (and surrounding area) is looking for a shop to do any related work to their car,I would highly recommend SPI .They have done mods on a 2007 Z06 for me,along with the 2009 Z06 in the video.The work that Andrew has done for me,is outstanding. I am in planning stages with SPI,to build me a fully race prepared Z06.Cant wait to see the final result:jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thanks for the post and being a Supporting Vendor in Canada. I have a couple of question for you . . .

The baseline pull results you quoted seem uncharacteristically low. I would of expect closer to 455rwhp, assuming ~10% driveline losses, but I notice in the Dyno plot, you did not set the curve to "SAE" test standards to normalize atmospheric conditions.

Also, the AFR on the plot actually appears to be too "lean", at ~13:1. Was it much lower at baseline w/o the mods? My understanding from past experience, is to get the AFR as close to ~12.8 as possible.

What is your opinion of the Vararam CAB? Will you see any difference on a static air flow dyno test?

Lastly, in CA, we only can get 91 pump octane gas. Is an aftermarket tune recommended when higher octane is unavailable to a Z06 owner?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the detailed reply. I agree with you that the baseline seemed a little low, but I also felt the #'s were a little low after the mods as well. I have seen baseline pulls on showroom stock C6 ZO6's from my customers range from 422-445 RWHP, and have seen gains from these mods go as high as 478 RWHP without a tune. I have never dyno'd a car with such low mileage before and while I can't be sure I would think this has played a role in the lower than normal #'s we found. Also due to the time constraints we hads on this particular car, the car was dyno'd hot with no cool down both times.
You are correct in wanting to see the AFR around 12.8. When we are tuning we always try to keep it in the 12.7 -13.1 range, but this car was not tuned. It is safe in it's current range, but there is definetly some more left in it with good tune.
With most of my customers primarily using their cars at the race track, the Vararam cold air is what I primarily install. We always look for ways to keep the cars consistent at the race track. Using our Traqmate GPS we tested different mods at the race track and found with the stock air intake after we had gone about 10-12 laps and the car was good and hot that we were losing approx. 10-16 mph on the back straightaway at Mosport. With Vararam installed we found the cars to be consistent with no speed or time loss in relation to engine/underhood temperatures. So for me or my customers, even if the Vararam displayed no HP increase on the dyno, I would still highly recommend it or another high quality "true" cold air kit on the basis of keeping the cars power consistent regardless of temperature.
As far as your Octane question, I think you are safe to run with 91 on the street if it is actually 91, and I don't believe a tune is required to keep the engine safe. However, if you are planning on tracking the car or going to the drag strip where you would be consistently beating up the engine, I would recommend you add a little octane boost just to help things out.
Hope this helps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I know that there is always going to be some variation in numbers between vehicles. But don't forget that there will similar variation in test instruments, despite altitude and density corrections - everything has a variation in it. Just like a chronometer. Doesn't mean its perfectly accurate, just means that the "error" is constant. That blather notwithstanding, my Z baselined at 435 before adding similar mods - intake, LT's w/metal cats, and catbacks. After tuning seeing 485. I'm sure that 500 is doable without too much hoop-jumping. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts