Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse here, but genuine question.

I'm looking at buying a 2006 Z06 with a GM Long block installed at the chevy dealer, with receipts in 2014.

Would a 2014 GM LS7 Crate engine have the dropped valve / valve guide issue, or did GM get it fixed by then?

Should i plan to get the valve guides fixed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The reality of the head problems is that maybe 5% have had problems (I think it's actually less).
Assuming the replacement motor is a later build the probability of failure may be even lower.
Unless the car was driven very hard (many track days, etc.) I would just drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. It's a very tough call. I have talked directly to AA corvette, Katech and lingenfelter, and they all say unanimously do the heads. no questions asked. But, in my last month or so of looking at 100+ vettes onlines for sale that i'm interested in buying, 1 had the heads done. They rest have no idea and don't really care. Becuase their cars run fine.

I'm paranoid so i'm budgeting it in. But i do think it's less than 10% based on what im seeing in the market. Lots of good used Z06s with no issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had the heads done on my car “just in case “. It ended up costing me ~$3,400.00. It was another $250.00 to get the car retuned because I had the heads ported while I had them off. The LS7 heads flow good to begin with but they really flow big air now. I picked up another 25-30 hp and tq by porting them.
I have read articles on the web that state as long as you keep the stock camshaft lift you shouldn’t have a problem. A lot of guys go with a .630 or so lift and that seems to exacerbate the valve train failure.
If you want to be able to go out and drop the hammer on your LS7 with no worries and you’ve already budgeted to have heads done. Fix em. Maybe you can a little more money off one that hasn’t been “fixed”.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts