Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
..the trip was 2 back-to-back 18 hour days of driving.. with a day rest in the middle.

The Z turned 100,000km's (62200 miles) old during the trip - so much for the stereotype that the Chevy will be worn out before the "other" sports cars - All I ever done is change the oil, change the tyres and put in gas. It's still the original plugs and air-filter :p ;)

Oh - and when I arrived back in Houston half-past-midnight Tuesday morning - I even dispatched a pesky F-Body that was dogging me on the way down the feeder. Don't know of many other cars that can leave you refreshed enough to end a 18 hour trip with a drag race... ;)

Images from Kansas - fantastic open country

Some views of Oklahoma - not as desolate as folks think

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some views of Texas

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Wow RC! Those look great. :jammin: Congrats on a successful epic trip. The Z is a great road trip car. But 62K is still not allot of miles for a Chevy. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Nice pics.

Mark

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow, that is an impressive trip! How many times on the trip did you change your oil? Those are some great pictures!

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
wow great pictures! I would LOVE to do a cross country trip in my Z06, might just plan that for next spring:thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
injuner said:
Wow, that is an impressive trip! How many times on the trip did you change your oil? Those are some great pictures!
Thanks - well, the amazing this is that even though this engine (replaced at 34,000 miles) sucked oil to the tune of 1 quart per 500 miles, just like the first one did, once the engine had about 15,000 hard charging miles on it (50,000 vehicle miles) the damn thing just up and stopped using oil.

Didn't even need oil added between changes - and I am about to get another change - and still hardly any oil used.

Go figure.

blkZ06 said:
wow great pictures! I would LOVE to do a cross country trip in my Z06, might just plan that for next spring:thumb:
This is the second time I have done a 2400 mile round trip over a long weekend (1st was to watch the start of the Cannonball Run) and I love how easily this car travels.

To tell the truth I enjoy it more than when I did trips in the 2000 Lincoln Towncar. :p

Who knows, maybe I should criss cross the plain states next :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
nice trip!!!

i just did a 1400mile trip in 2 days (Montreal-NiagaraFalls-Montreal) ...was great, this was my first long trip in my Z, and i loved it... i averaged 24mpg ...with an average speed of around 80mph, and a few 130+ mph runs....

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mannygmt2 said:
nice trip!!!

i just did a 1400mile trip in 2 days (Montreal-NiagaraFalls-Montreal) ...was great, this was my first long trip in my Z, and i loved it... i averaged 24mpg ...with an average speed of around 80mph, and a few 130+ mph runs....
Awesome :z: - Mods.... how about we get a little token of aknowledgement for those of us that are not afraid to do the ultra long distance thing in our Z's?

Something like the Black Sheep Crew or 11 Sec Club etc? heheh ;)

I am sure FRC Tom would be club president - hasn't he done like 10 of these epic stints already? :)

I also know there are a bunch of us out there that do this every now and again.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I did 1900 miles in mine on a 3 day weekend.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Cool pics Paul! What was your average speed? :sneaky:

·
Registered
214 Posts
awesome awesome pictures. love the train. i have new wallpaper now.

i have some photos from my ~3000 mile trip from southern Calif thru Vegas, Arizona, Utah to Colorado and back. must learn how to post...

:cheers:

·
Registered
165 Posts
First 3600 miles on my 04 Z06 was Los Angeles to Beaumont, TX and back-drove straight through 23 hours both ways and loved every minute of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The most I have done is 6000 miles is six days. Winter was coming on in Massaschusetts. I said the Hell with this, gonna go where the leaves are still green. Called the wife, asked her to cover one meeting for me and took off on a southerly route to Las Vegas. I was going ship the car back but liked the ride so much I just drove home a different route. I had about a year on my 98 TR conv.

It was a great trip. Never got tired. There were times when the beauty was overwhelming and the freedom to do what I always wanted to do since I was a kid was exhilerating!

·
Registered
291 Posts
WOW. I didn't know there was any land left in this beautiful country of ours. Here in Florida you can't go from one place to the next anymore and see the wilderness. The last big chunk of undeveloped land in the state of Florida was the Babcock Ranch, 91,000.00 acres. They wanted to sell it to the state but the state could only offer $500 million for the land. They were hoping the state was going to leave it undeveloped and keep it as a preserve. Now they could not even get close on a deal as it was just sold to a developer. I am guessing more in the price range of $700 million. They have plans to develop it into a whole new city. Where are we going to go to see undeveloped beauty around here?? The everglades is the only thing left in the entire state. The rate of growth is so ridiculous that it is discouraging long time residents and some are up and moving to texas. However, most just complain and tough it out. It is so sad to see mother earth being raped to the tune of $ only. Development/growth is necessary for the economy but not uncontrolled growth. There is nothing left in my home town now. There is literally no left undeveloped land of any size in my town. Over the past 2 years every inch of this town has been developed or is being developed. I am waiting for a politician to finally say something about finite space and controlled growth/quality of life. Sorry for hijacking this thread. The pictures are just so beautiful that I went on a remembering/daydreaming trip here. I remember that the land here was so beautiful.. As were the pictures you posted. Dr.Bigg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts