Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer today to buy a beautiful Black/Black Z06 with 8 miles on it. Got down to the negotiations and they peg the price of the car at $53,200. When I asked why the car was priced above MSRP they replied that it was because of "Aftermarket Markup" :eek:

Needless to say, I walked out of dealership and thanked them for wasting my time. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever find a Z06 before the Nov 18th deadline......

Are these aftermarket markups normal? Does GM condone such a thing?:-?

Mark

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Fear not, Black/Black should be one of the easiest to find since it is the most popular combination of Z06 produced to date.

Keep looking and check with our forum dealers......

JC

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Mark,

As we all know the 0.0% APR has sold alot of Z06s. The supply on these cars is getting very tight right now. Just like everything else when the supply is low and the demand is very high the prices tend to go up. I do not agree with marking up a Z above MSRP but you will find that a lot of dealers that do. You were right to refuse to pay more than the MSRP on this car.:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
weberms,

One of our supporting vendors, ELCO Chevrolet,called me today and they have a rare 2001 Speedway White Z06 with 700 miles on it. It's been a garage queen every since the guy bought it. If interested, drop me an email. The price was $42,900. Otherwise, you may want to check with one of our other supporting vendors.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
TOO NICE

WEBERMS..........N4C5S.........TOO NICE.......:D
These guy's are like hyena's to a kill someone else has made......
The General,( made the kill, cut rates) made the ultimate concession, and the Vultures, ( Dealers), are taking advantage.......(what else is new?)......
The dealer cost on a new Vettte, is OVER 10% off MSRP......
That means that on a '02 Z, the sticker at $50,650........they are making over 5k profit selling AT MSRP............
Now, that is not enough, we need to make 20%.......PLUS the year end hold back..............
Is it any wonder that people HATE car salesmen.......
This is not the salespersons fault, it's their pit boss's, and their higher up's........
And, it is a cryin arse shame.........legal theft.
One common denominator, they ALL do it.......not just Chevy Corvette sales...............
Market adjustment............hah!!!!
I could understand it, IF they were only going to build 500/1000 per year.........THIS would be acceptable behaviour.........

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: TOO NICE

And, it is a cryin arse shame.........legal theft.
One common denominator, they ALL do it.......not just Chevy Corvette sales...............
Market adjustment............hah!!!!
I could understand it, IF they were only going to build 500/1000 per year.........THIS would be acceptable behaviour......... [/B][/QUOTE]

I am today as I have been for 28 years now, somewhat dismayed at the reputation the automotive business has made for its self. Please try to remember that this business is not unlike any other, it has its good representatives and its bad. Their are many good and honest dealers out their that want your business. Please try to keep an open mind and try another dealer.:)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Rick.........agreed.........

I am in 100% agreement with you..........
The problem (one), is when you purchase a new 50k auto from the General, (one of their dealers), and you have a problem or a concern......they treat you like you are a cavalier owner......
I for one, would like to see the General,,make the Vette sales side of the business, go to dealers that do nada but Vette's.....
This would HELP in a major way, to keep the jackals from treating us as dung.........when a person spends that kind of dough.........they deserve to be treated in a more professional manner..........
For an example......I am not a pimply faced punk......I went down this past Saturday, to pick up my plates.....I had an issue with swirl marks on my car............
THE sales manager came out, took a look( after I showed him the problems)......and promptly accused ME of putting them on the car!!!!!
Heck, I am a semicenturian.....and I do not lie........this, of course, ruffled me feathers a TAD............
So, what's to do??........grimm & bare it!!!!!!!!:puke:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Geez I hate to see these kind of posts!

I buy a new Vet (and sometimes other new cars) every year, and NEVER pay MSRP.. Period.

Keep Looking, you will find your dream car (at a fair discount) but you have to be patient, and be willing to "walk away" from the Greed Monsters!

BTW, what dealer & city are we talking about here?

Zippy :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
MSRP is $50,350.00 with no options, dealer invoice is $44,136.88 but I guess some people are not happy making $6,213.12.:mad:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
FRC

MY point exactly....................what a damn shame..:(
Like I stated before, it's not like there aren't going to EVER be any more mfg'd...........
IF we think it's BAD now........just wait until the 20054502800...........gets here........grab your butt, hide the wimmens na' da chidddrens!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Z06LS6,

Not ALL dealers do Markups. I shopped and ordered mine from Rydell Chevrolet in Van Nuys, CA. They have the General's one price policy(Started at Saturn Dealers), and the one and only price is $500.00 under MSRP.

I dislike Markups too, but you can always go elsewhere(as I did).

But, understand, as long as some people will pay the extra Markup, the practice will continue. It's called a "FREE MARKET."

By the way, I shopped for a new M3, and I couldn't find one that wasn't spoken for.....and, everyone paid a premium, or you would wait forever and maybe never get one. BMW only makes so many and they go to the highest bidder. The Law of Supply and Demand!!

Markups are more common in larger cities where there is more demand. I got my 1993 Toyota Supra TT at a dealer in Bakersfield, a relatively small town. They had 9 of 'em sitting on the lot and couldn't get rid of 'em. I got a deal.

Again, it's called the law of SUPPLY and DEMAND:D

By the way, I'm treated like a Celebrity at Valencia Chevrolet where I take my Z for service. This dealer has an allocation of only 24 Corvettes, because they don't sell many, because they alway add a big markup, and some suckers pay it:( At Rydell Chevrolet, where I got my Z(It's too far to go for service), they have 3 Stores and an allocation of 250 Corvettes.....me thinks it's because most people won't pay the Markup, but will pay $500.00 under MSRP. They sell more Corvettes and get ever increasing allocatoins. Actually, they sell a ton of cars based on the "one price policy". Their Sales People are on Salary, not commission. The other side of this coin is they can't go lower than $500.00 off MSRP on any car. But, a lot of people don't like to play the price haggling game. Nuf said;)

HTH :cheers:

Barrie

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am a new "Z06" owner (12 OCT 01)got mine from Bruce Glueck Chevrolet in Jasper FL. Great folks, below MSRP. Don't know if they have any available before 18 NOV.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Barie......

I understand all the laws of capitalism...............I am a salesman......
But, there is such a thing as a "FAIR", profit margin.....one in which BOTH parties come out ahead.....
This type of feeding frenzy(Blood in the water), does nothing but further alienate the American buying public..........
But, as the old saying declares.......

" A fool and his money are soon parted"..................:p

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
weberms,
Getting back to your topic, I have a small opinion. I agree that paying a premium is a horrible thing to do, but put pen to paper to see how much you will save with that special financing. I would bet that it is equivalent to at least $2k. So keep in mind that these comparisons should be made apples to apples - bottom line dollar to bottom line dollar.
Buying a car now and getting it at a slight markup but with the killer financing just might run you the exact same price as getting one marked down, but regular rates.
After comparing those prices, see how much you would value having the car now as opposed to two months from now.

Of course, if you are paying cash (not the thing to do with 0% available) or choose not to pay over MSRP because it goes against your principles, then that is a different story.
But if you are like the rest of us, the moral is to get in the car when you find one you like.
Good luck with your decision, and don't forget the power of cheap interest!
chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't buy into all this dealer crap and hype.
Call the Vettenet or look at their cars available on Excite cars for sale and you'll find something a lot cheaper than $500 under MSRP.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I know some great people who have been in this business a long time and I've heard a lot of stories.

I think management makes these decisions. You gotta figure the sales manager is coming out and saying "OKAY! Who's going to sell that Z this week for $65K!"

People can vote with their wallet, that is a great thing about America. Someone here reported a dealer near Seattle wanted $65K a couple weeks back. On August 28, one wanted me to pay $59K for a 2001 with 500 miles. Think that's bad? I saw this COUPE last night on
seattletimes.com:
------
2002 Chevrolet Corvette/CP
Price: $58,035 Mileage: 1
COUPE, 2DR, Automatic Transmission, Power Brakes, Power Steering, Air Conditioning,Tilt Steering Wheel, Automatic Transmission, Anti-Lock Brakes, Power Windows, New.
Glen Grant Chevrolet Mazda
Seattle,WA 98168
-------

Can GM even do anything about this? Or do the laws prevent them from applying pressure on pricing? Maybe these dealers should lose Allocation..

Fortunately, there are some fine dealers here on the forum and elsewhere. Heck, my dealer supports GMS purchases below invoice, even for the Z, for anyone who qualifies. This week, two guys I sent his way are getting GMS (one coupe, one Z06) - they're happy to do it. I love helping someone get that Deal. The dealer still makes money, but they give up thousands. That's Good.. They should get more allocation (and they will through selling).

I for one, would like to see the General,,make the Vette sales side of the business, go to dealers that do nada but Vette's.....
Interesting idea.. But that would mean not many dealers to choose from. Few dealerships are willing to specialize these days. This could create problems in areas where 'vette density is low. And if a dealer thinks he's the only game in town (or *towns*), his head could get big. c4c5 has indicated the warranty labor estimates come up seriously short in some cases, so that might make it difficult for corvette-only service departments.

A lot of good small town dealers who can only get 2 Corvettes a year would like to be able to get more. So I'm not sure fewer dealers is the answer.

Also.. As the guys who work in the service departments will remind us - the sales side of the business is generally pretty separate from the service side. They're run as different profit centers.

I've wondered if Allocations should be weighted a bit to favor dealerships who get high customer satisfaction marks for Corvette Service - Reward the good 'vette service departments.

I wonder if some letter writing to GM would help in the cases of dealers who gouge?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have to disagree a little with chrisj. Dealers are not paying ANYTHING for the special financing rates, so marking up the price of the car or selling it at a higher price than they would have before really rubs me wrong. It is not comparing apples to apples when a dealer is doing something different just because GM is offering financing rates. I understand market conditions and supply and demand, but when dealers have Z's sitting on their lots but won't budge on price because of the financing when they were willing to a month ago really burns me. In cases like this I will GLADLY pay a bank interest before I will give a dealer an extra penny!!! It may cost me more, but sticking to my principles is worth it to me. Ok, I feel better now. Climbing off the soap box. :-?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Rick Daniel said:
Mark,

As we all know the 0.0% APR has sold alot of Z06s. The supply on these cars is getting very tight right now. Just like everything else when the supply is low and the demand is very high the prices tend to go up. I do not agree with marking up a Z above MSRP but you will find that a lot of dealers that do. You were right to refuse to pay more than the MSRP on this car.:)
I agree with Rick, I can see paying MSRP for an '02 Z06 because of the slim availability and the low financing. I found my Z using gmbuypower.com. I was lucky to find one in Syracuse NY, which is only 90 miles from Rochester NY where I live. I had a tough trade('01 Vette 6Spd. loaded conv.2700 mi.) Some dealers in Rochester were discounting '01 (new) convertables up to $5400 plus 0% financing. So, I figured they probably wouldn't deal that well on my car. After hours of foot shuffling I ended up trading for $7000, which I thought was a fair deal. The Z listed for $50510 so they allowed me $43510, which I believe was around wholesale. What offsets these figures was the 2.9% @60mos. [email protected] that I had on the '01 conv. So, if you weigh in the low financing, MSRP (but no more than) is still a fair deal.

Carzzy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
8 Snake,
I don't think you got the main point behind my first post.
First, I agree with you.
I said if it was against your principles to not pay over MSRP then that is absolutely not the best deal.
The point I was trying to make, is that if you were only interested in the car and the bottom line price that you would pay over the years, that getting one right now (even though it was marked up slightly) could be the same price as one that was discounted in one month.
I was mentioning this all under the implicit assumption that the dealer in question had been seeling Z's all the time at a markup, not that they marked up the price to counter the low interest.

All I wanted to do is point out to a fellow member or two that the bottom line price might just in fact be the same on a marked up low interest car as it is on a discounted high interest car.
I would like to see the Z06 community grow, and I know that potential buyers are a lot like I was/still am; slightly impatient at times.

Good luck to those still shopping.
chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts