Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mug: Drove to my fathers house from GA to WV (615 miles) and was delighted to find that I am getting 29.6mpg highway! :jammin: Pretty good for 405HP V8. :ity: With the price of gas now($3.49/Chevron), I am really watching my lead foot problem. :ity:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have 2 vehicles, my SC Z and a '99 blazer dd I use for work. But lately I've been driving the Z to work to save gas! I can easily get 26 hwy with the Z, the Blazer just sucks. How can a vehicle be so underpowered and also so bad on gas.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I average 28 on my trips between Massachusetts and Florida. And that's at 70 or >, with a nearly 600HP S/C motor! It's easy to keep your foot out of it if you use Cruise Control and the engine just sips gas at the near idle cruising RPM. Gotta love a low Coefficient of Drag!

People generally don't believe me when I tell them how good the milage is.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I averaged around 26mpg hwy on a 500 mile trip to niagara falls...and i was never under 85mph... and a few 140mph runs... not bad at all!!! Overall I average 17-18mpg combined city and hwy.... which is still pretty good for a 405hp car.

I have a 2005 safari cargo AWD company truck... i drive UNDER the speed limit all the time, and I can barely get 16mpg.. and if i use the AC, i get 13mpg. ...

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I bought the car new. Put 800 miles on it and decided to go from Joliet, Il to Scottsdale, AZ to see my daughter!!
Cruised the flatlands at 85 or ~2100rpm and with a pig rich 11-11.5 AFR still got 28-30 mpg!! The run out of the mountains from Flagstaff to the 101 was fantastic!!
Now with all the mods, I went to the Fest last year. Cruised the same way, and still got 30 mpg!!
These cars are amazing!!

Ken

·
Registered
168 Posts
do you guys calculate your MPG using the computer read out?

Basically, I re-zero my trip odometer every time i fill up, and see how much mileage i do on the next fill up, and do the math.... so i know my MPG is accurate, but i never bothered to check the average MPG that the computer gives to compare.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What is wrong with my car? I am averaging the last 2 tanks of gas about 15.7 MPG. This is driving in town. I am always 1 gear up and I am always babying it. Does this sound reasonable. I have never seen 23 MPG let alone 30 mpg. Are you all coasting or something? The car is running spectacular and there are no codes. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
229 Posts
i can get 22mpg on my sunday morning drive in the east san diego county mountains/canyons/desert. i just get up to 5th gear quick and go 50 to 60 mph.i use chevron supreme,91 is all i can get here, but i have never heard the engine ping with the stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
What is wrong with my car? I am averaging the last 2 tanks of gas about 15.7 MPG. This is driving in town. I am always 1 gear up and I am always babying it. Does this sound reasonable. I have never seen 23 MPG let alone 30 mpg. Are you all coasting or something? The car is running spectacular and there are no codes. Dr.Bigg
You might have a lazy O2 sensor.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wouldn't a bad o2 sensor throw a code? Also are these averages or are these instant readings. I can get up to 70 mpg on some of the instant readings but I never average more than 15.7 mpg, and thats good for me. I agree I have yet to take a really long trip in the car though. This is all driving around town. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
Wouldn't a bad o2 sensor throw a code? Also are these averages or are these instant readings. I can get up to 70 mpg on some of the instant readings but I never average more than 15.7 mpg, and thats good for me. I agree I have yet to take a really long trip in the car though. This is all driving around town. Dr.Bigg
Take it up on I-95 some morning and drive to Cocoa or Daytona. Punch the reset button on the average MPG. Dive down the entrance ramp and sit back and watch that reading go to 30 or so and enjoy.

D.J.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Man that is truly awesome news to find out the beast gets that kind of gas mileage. I am very happy to own a z06. Dr.Bigg

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
where did you go in wv ?

i am in charleston

·
Registered
881 Posts
ER: not to burst anyone's bubble but driving these high strung thoroughbreds too slow can be really bad for them. I would not recommend shifting below 4000 or going more than 25 miles without applying the loud pedal and warming things up! They can get out of shape! :p

OK, I'm mostly kidding but why own these cars and worry about the gas mileage? Might as well drive a Prius. :puke:

My DIC usually reads around 14 mpg, but I think that might be from driving it 1 mile at a time on Friday nights. ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wvphoto said:
where did you go in wv ?

i am in charleston
My Dad lives in Bloomingrose. I got off the 64 at the Marmet exit and over Lenns Creek Mountain. I hit a big dam tree limb that came down in a good down pour as I was going up Lenns Creek Mountain but it was dead and just sounded bad under the car, no damage. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
Man that is truly awesome news to find out the beast gets that kind of gas mileage. I am very happy to own a z06. Dr.Bigg
Dr. Bigg

Please let us know what kind of mpg you observed on your trip.

D.J. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I too get ~ 15 mpg (on 93 octane) driving to work (9 miles one way and ~ 12 lights....New Jersey sucks!). I no sooner get to 4th gear (5th between 2 of the lights) and then I am hitting the brake to stop at a light. After work I cruise onto I-295 and get her up to 100 mph and in 4 miles I am slowing down to get off at the exit and back on the local road to head home.

The past two weeks I've been driving the 86 Buick Century to work (20 mpg on regular for the same stop/go...I can't hit 100mph on her though....). The Buick has a 2.8L carb motor and gets 27 mpg on highway trips.

Coming back from the Z-Fest I hit 26 mpg (89 octane) over 800 miles. However, I had up/down mountains from Lexington, KY to Rockville, MD then 30 min of stop/go traffic from Rockville to the Baltimore toll plaza. Baltimore home to NJ was smooth sailing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts