Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 and this will be the second time that the battery seems to get continually worse, by that i mean, when it was first replaced it would take about 6 days or so for the battery to die and not start the car (where i get the starter clicking but not enough juice to fire it) Now its less than a day. Do I take it back in and get another battery under warranty. Is there somthing that is draining the battery at an unusual rate (in which case if it was you would think it would happen from day one) Or is it time i say screw it and bite the bullet and buy an optima eventhough its under warrant. What kind of results have you guys seen out of the optima red tops, can you leave it parked for a week and still expect it to start. Any help is appreciated.

mryates2

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The battery in the Z is garbage. I had the same problems. I replaced mine with an Optima Yellowtop, and never had a problem again. Scrap the thing, life is too short :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Sounds to me like something is draining your battery. Mine sits for a week or two sometimes, but always fires right up. I still have the stock POS Delco.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Check the charging system,
1-Turn the DIC on to the voltage display
2-Start the car and rev up to 2000 rpm note voltage, should be 13.9
3-Turn on the lights, AC and fan on high should be at least 13,6
if so then alt is good
4- Shut engine off, turn on lights, AC and fan on high volatge should not go below 10 v if so the battery is low, bad or you have a bad connection
5- If all checks ok then pull the postive lug of battery with key OFF and use a volt/amp meter and see if you have any draw. should not be over
.05 volt.
CLASS OVER,

·
Registered
891 Posts
5- If all checks ok then pull the postive lug of battery with key OFF and use a volt/amp meter and see if you have any draw. should not be over
.05 volt.
.05 volt or amps?

·
Registered
185 Posts
amps. If you have a larger amp meter, start with that as many of the standard volt meters won't handle a larger current draw. Since you don't know what the draw is, if you had something that would handle say 1/2 amp you should be OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts