Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<---- crying now.

Well went to the track tonight to play some more. They dragged and scraped the track this past weekend so the traction was MUCH better. They also layed down some good VHT which they normally don't do on a Wed night. My friend said all the cars in front of me were bogging hard so I decided to dump it at a higher rpm. I usually do 2,200-2,500 rpm and spin. This time I dumped the clutch at 3,000 rpm and bogged HARD. I still ran a 12.44 @ 116.7mph with a 2.137 60 ft. So the next time I revved to 3,300-3,500 rpm and BANG!!!!! Tried to put it in Reverse and no good. Tried all the gears and then let them push me off the track. Not my first time breaking at the track, but it was my first time breaking a nearly stock $50,000 car!!! If I let the clutch out and give it gas the speedo reads correct and went up to 14 mph to 3 mph. At first we thought it was the clutch, or torque tube, but since the speedo was reading we figured it was an axle, or half shaft. Looked under the car with a flashlight, but couldn't see anything wrong. Pushed the car onto a friends trailer and dropped it at the dealership. BTW, tire pressure was at 22 psi on stock GY SC tires. :/ Not happy. I think I've heard of folks running ET Streets or ET Drags and dropping the clutch at 5,000-6,000 rpm. This should NOT have happened on street tires!!!

<Disclaimer> This is a story about a "friends" car :) And we also scraped a LOT of rubber from the wheelwells, rear bumper, mufflers, rear brake ducts, etc, etc...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh they will warranty it. I will fight to the death if they don't. They advertise this car to do what I do with it and it breaks??? Just not cool. Besides the dealership I (er, my friend) took it to is very mod/race friendly. They do warranty work on Pony Express cars with full welded in rollcages with stickers all over it and aftermarket heads/cam kits. They just hide them under tarps and car covers when the regional folks come around :) They even have done warranty work on cars that blew up engines on N2O... And no, I don't remember the name of this dealership :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fcalmes. I'm sure it is just a halfshaft or axle. Should be fixed up soon. I have a friend who is in one of my car clubs that knows the service writer very well and has already talked to him. He said, no problem and that I (my friend) didn't even have to scrape the rubber off the car. I will just bring him a bottle of Cabo Wabo maybe :) At least Costco carries it so I can save about $10-$12 a bottle :)

But this just ain't cool. Dumping the clutch at 3,300-3,500 rpm on a sticky track on stock street tires and it broke? I guess these new clutches are holding GREAT!!!

That was going to be my 1.80 60 ft and my 11.8-11.9 ET too!!! :/

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
ZoSIC

Breaking something at 3-3500..........is a joke........
Whatever is the problem, NO matter where you were should be warranty.......you could have just as easily been on a back road on an old country lane...........these cars shouldn't break with stock tires unless you REALLY abuse them........launching at 6000, seems to be a case where one MIGHT expect to lose a disc.......but half shaft???//axle????......NO FREAKIN way......:(
Scares me to think of even trying to run at the strip.....i would have to walk home:roll:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Z0 SIC!

Agreed - this should not have happened.

Almost sounds like a pinion problem. Hopefully just an axle..

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Z0 Sic,

Question, what type of clutch are you running? I don't have a Z but an FRC, I run the E/T Streets. We were down at MIR ( maryland International Raceway) and the traction was so great I had to come out at 5500 and 6000 just to get the tires to spin enough to get off the line without bogging.
Next weekend at English Town, 4000 to 4500 came off good. Report no problems.
Note: There was a Z06 that broke a half shaft. E/T Streets.

Ernie
PS: your right it should not happen with street tires. Bad parts seems to be...

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Hearing stories like this make me have no desire to "dump my clutch". I have been through this same scenaro "too many times". Now I just roll into the throttle,and once I'm rolling, "Boot it!"(and no more Side-stepping the clutch,or power shifting). Not this car,anyway. I don't want to have to fix it. Period.Older=Wiser :roll:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ernie King

I was using the stock 5800 mile '02 Z06 clutch on the same mileage stock SuperCar tires at 22-23psi. They definitely didn't design the clutch to spin before breaking the rearend like the F-bodies.

I got the car back and all is well now. The driver side output shaft (axle) snapped clean in two. I've got pics and I'll post them later.

The neat thing was seeing the Titanium exhaust laying on the shop floor. The pipes were all this cool blue color :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Wow, stock clutch.... makes me wonder.... Great you got it fixed fast. I would like to see the pics.. Should never have happened.

I know some guys are using the dual disc clutch and no give at all. all the power goes to the rear. That's why they are breaking.

Hope the new part will last a little longer. defective part from the get go..

Best of luck...

Ernie

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I'd rather replace an axle over a ring and pinion anytime! Something about the "weakest link".

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Baron,

I'd rather burn up a clutch than either one of those. At least in most cases you can let it cool down and drive it home. 3 1/2 hr tow job cost a lot of money.

Ernie

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
AAA+. No problem :cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well AAA+ still only gets you 100 miles. But they RAPE you for the miles after that :/

Anyway, if it breaks again I will buy the Breathless driver side output shaft/axle and have the dealer install that.

Hell, this clutch is so nice/good I can grab 3d and 4th around town at 3,000 rpm or so!!!

I wanted to keep the broken part, but the tech said they have to send it back to the factory if they want to get payed for it. :/

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Where did it break. Inboard or outboard?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your friend's misfortune....ask him to let us know how it turns out. :(

Good luck :cheers:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to see this happen to your car. I was there with my father in law we were running his 10 second twin turbo callaway corvette. I was suprised to see the car break, I didnt even here a loud noise when you launched. I have raced my Z06 countless times and have had no troubles with anything. It must have been and out of spec part because you werent beating on it. Sorry for the misfortune. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts