Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I have 475 at the wheels and I wouldn't change my 3.42's for anything. My car is great on the road. If I drag raced the car a lot I might think about the 3.90's but, not for a street car. :guiness:

·
Registered
413 Posts
3:73s here ... actually drives a little easier in traffic plus after market clutch require less slipping in stop and go .... gave up about 1 mpg and few more rpm at 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
C5 CU said:
3:73s here ... actually drives a little easier in traffic plus after market clutch require less slipping in stop and go .... gave up about 1 mpg and few more rpm at 70 mph.

3.73s would make a much easier and smoother intown driver, but for acceleration 3.42s would be the best IMO, they would lessen the change of spinning from down low and would accelerate quicker up top :jammin:

3.42s it is :ity:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Fwiw..I'd stay with the 3.42's if your going after 500 plus hp..but if you've got money to burn..

The 3.73's are AWESOME! Nice extra gearing and not anywhere near radical. The CTS V series has the M12 tranny and 3.73 gearing.

I put in the 3.73's and very glad I did.

FWIW.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
roushraven said:
Thanks for the input, I suspected it would be too much.
It's not to much IMO, but probably not necessary. I know you said your not a drag racer, but until your trap speed in the 1/4 exceeds a speed of where you need to shift into 5th gear which is over 130 mph in the 1/4, shorter gears will help your performance. IMO the Z06 should have could from the factory with 3.90's or at the least 3.73's.

Some other side benefits. Your gas mileage will actually improve at speeds below 55 mph because you can use 6th gear at 55 mph at 5th gear at 45 mph without lugging your motor. :z:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have over 430rwhp and 3.90's. You do wind up quickly but for a daily driver it is actually more enjoyable. You can start off in 2nd and go right to 5th if your so inclined. Lost about 2mpg in city and none hy. :ity:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IT L GO said:
It's not to much IMO, but probably not necessary. I know you said your not a drag racer, but until your trap speed in the 1/4 exceeds a speed of where you need to shift into 5th gear which is over 130 mph in the 1/4, shorter gears will help your performance. IMO the Z06 should have could from the factory with 3.90's or at the least 3.73's.

Some other side benefits. Your gas mileage will actually improve at speeds below 55 mph because you can use 6th gear at 55 mph at 5th gear at 45 mph without lugging your motor. :z:
Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks, it seems that after review of more replies from big power guys on the other forum the 3.90s may be a good choice after all.

My concern, stemmed from my experience with the car in its near stock form. In that form, around 370/360 rwhp/tq, hard accelerations would cause the tires to brake loose in 1st through 3rd. My assumption is that with even more power the condition would by multiplied significantly more with the 3.90 gear change.

I guess I could consider wider stickier tires but that creates more "power robbing" rotational mass. But maybe not so much????

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gorillavet said:
I have over 430rwhp and 3.90's. You do wind up quickly but for a daily driver it is actually more enjoyable. You can start off in 2nd and go right to 5th if your so inclined. Lost about 2mpg in city and none hy. :ity:

Thanks that's more likely what my experience would be like as well. So you definitely think it's worth it I take it?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I have right at 500rwhp and 3:90's and like them but most of my playing is from a roll. If I had it to do over again I would stay with stock gears or maybe 3:73's IMHO.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wingnut said:
I have right at 500rwhp and 3:90's and like them but most of my playing is from a roll. If I had it to do over again I would stay with stock gears or maybe 3:73's IMHO.
I see that you have the Magnacharger though, which makes significantly more torque at low rpms. So in your case I can see why stock would be better.

I guess 1st gear from a stop is pretty much useless for you?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I wouldnt switch to 3.90's, it will hurt fuel economy and with our 5th gear at .85 it will bring your top end down from 170 mph to 15#, and we all know that the Z even with 500 bhp will not pull in 6th as tall as it is. Stick with the 3.42's especially if you have traction issues as it is now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I put 3.73's in my stang and they were ok. I didnt notice that much of a difference except for the shifting earlier. Then I went to the 4.10 and did not like them at all. Stay stock with the gears. It will be hard for you to launch with out drag radials or slicks for god sake. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I put 3.73's in my stang and they were ok. I didnt notice that much of a difference except for the shifting earlier. Then I went to the 4.10 and did not like them at all. Stay stock with the gears. It will be hard for you to launch with out drag radials or slicks for god sake. Dr.Bigg

Yea Doc , I put 3.73 on my Mustang as well and they were perfect, IMO 3.42 are perfect in the Z06 though :yeadog:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
roushraven said:
I see that you have the Magnacharger though, which makes significantly more torque at low rpms. So in your case I can see why stock would be better.

I guess 1st gear from a stop is pretty much useless for you?
True about the torque...1st gear is close to useless...but not totally if you're really into it. Can we say modulation? :lol:

·
Registered
413 Posts
C5 CU said:
However...if I was to do it over again it would be 3:90s

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
eviLS6 said:
I wouldnt switch to 3.90's, it will hurt fuel economy and with our 5th gear at .85 it will bring your top end down from 170 mph to 15#, and we all know that the Z even with 500 bhp will not pull in 6th as tall as it is.
This statement isn't even close..... Talk with RandyN, MSiska about 3.90 in a stock motor with bolt on's. Randy has had his Z well over the 175 mark - before his big motor went in, and Mike will vouch for the usability of the 5th and 6th, still able to knock down 33 mpg highway.
If a stock internal LS6 will pull 6th, again PM RandyN, then your 500 rwhp will definately give you a ride on the top end.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts