Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, but didn't find an answer to this one..

What kind of 1/4 mile improvement should one expect by going from a 3.42 to a 3.90 or 4.10?

I was considering a cam as my next mod, but the local tuner recommended gears before that so I was wondering what could I expect..

Thanks..

-j

·
Registered
413 Posts
assuming traction then .2 - .3

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
John, tough question. I haven't seen any difference betwen 4.10's and 3.90's on the strip. The gears are gonna make those nittos spin more.If you go with mt drag radials then gears will be a nice compliment but then your gonna need a clutch and beef up the rear and so on. I would probably get some high to mid 11's under my belt this fall and then do cam without the gears first whenever it works for you. I don't believe gears make that much of a difference in et. I do believe they will help slightly with the 60' which helps et.(.1-.2 provided traction). Again, with your current set up gears are gonna make the launch even tougher. Just my .02, lets see what others have experience. Take advice from fellas that have done it before.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
robz said:
John, tough question. I haven't seen any difference betwen 4.10's and 3.90's on the strip. The gears are gonna make those nittos spin more.If you go with mt drag radials then gears will be a nice compliment but then your gonna need a clutch and beef up the rear and so on. I would probably get some high to mid 11's under my belt this fall and then do cam without the gears first whenever it works for you. I don't believe gears make that much of a difference in et. I do believe they will help slightly with the 60' which helps et.(.1-.2 provided traction). Again, with your current set up gears are gonna make the launch even tougher. Just my .02, lets see what others have experience. Take advice from fellas that have done it before.
One thing I definitely DO NOT want is a car thats harder to launch (ill pass on the gears).. I wasn't going to do them anytime soon but I figured I would investigate the idea a little further.. Now I have to look into the cam packages..

BTW.. Dynotech differential strut arrived on Wednesday and goes in on Sunday.. :D

Thanks Rob..

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

BTW.. Dynotech differential strut arrived on Wednesday and goes in on Sunday.. :D

Thanks Rob..[/QUOTE]

If you are installing with it in the car you will have alot of fun :cen: it's a tight fit but can be done !

Good luck :jammin:

Rob

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hey John,
Rob is spot on bro. I think if you're having problems launching now, the higher gear ratio will only complicate matters!!! The 3:90's or 4:10's will make it EASIER for the tires to spin. If spinning is your nemesis right now, gears will add insult to injury. Right now I think your left foot & right foot are the issue....Practice my friend!
I'm also of the philosophy that we should max out what mods we have currently before we mod further. That way we can learn to drive the existing power properly & safely.
JMHO
Ron

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on learning how to drive what I got now, I was just interested in knowing what kind of difference the gears made.. Trust me, no cam for awhile, I got a bachelor party in vegas, and a wedding in seattle next month.. Mod funds will be redirected elsewhere for the month of September.. :( I swear, if my friend gets divorced Ill fly back to Seattle to kick his ass..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts