• '02 Z w/ 300km

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jacob posted pic of his shift light and remote v1 display with the speedo, and I noticed his speedo shows 300km max, wassup with that? My '02 Z has a 200km....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Ummm...take a closer look at Jacob's photo. His gauges are set to display metric measurements. Yours were obviously set to display standard or English measurements.

·
Registered
508 Posts
NYCHASM said:
Ummm...take a closer look at Jacob's photo. His gauges are set to display metric measurements. Yours were obviously set to display standard or English measurements.
dunno that you can tell his were set to metric from the pic. The MPH is visible above the KPH... and the gauges don't change depending on the setting anyway... just the light and the reading. Also his pic showed the reading at the max which means he is either insane or it was at startup at which time I think both are lit anyway.

But the main question IS interesting. Maybe he has changed out the speedo and faceplate? or were the 01's that way?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
IceSabre,

Go back and look again. The gauges are DEFINITELY on the metric settings. Look at the coolant temp gauge; it's reading centigrade not fahrenheit.

Of course the gauges change. The numbers on the speedometer change to reflect miles OR kilometers, the coolant temp. numbers change to reflect fahrenheit OR centigrade and the oil pressure gauge changes to reflect pounds or Pascals.

PS to Agent Z06...

You do know that the language displayed on the DIC can be changed to Spanish, French, German OR English! So, depending on the language, the gauges reflect whether the info is in metric or standard numbers.

Charlie

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
NYCHASM said:

PS to Agent Z06...

You do know that the language displayed on the DIC can be changed to Spanish, French, German OR English! So, depending on the language, the gauges reflect whether the info is in metric or standard numbers.

Charlie
Yep.... I knew that Charlie. :)

I still think that he has a Canadian car.... :D

Bet you a beer? :cheers:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Agent...

If you agree that the DIC language and readings can be changed to either metric or standard, how does the "Canadian car" come into play here?

I don't drink beer, but I'll bet you a nickel instead!!

Charlie

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, he has a canadian Z! I have a friend with a Honda Civic Si from Canada, same thing.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Are you guys telling me that a "Canadian car" has a different DIC than an "American car"? If the DIC info is interchageable why in the world would there be a difference?

C'mon guys...will somebody that has some insight into this chime in please.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Canadian cars have different instrumentation

What you're looking at is Canadian instrumentation. I had the same setup on my 2001 Coupe. When you switch from English to Metric, the speedo dial speeds up to show your speed in km. All other analogue guages do not change. The DIC readings all switch to metric, as does the A/C tempurature display.

I think the English/Metric switch is a terrific feature. When I reach the US border, I switch to English. I tend to travel much faster on Interstates than Canadian highways, and I don't like to rely on mental arithmetic to do the switch. For example, 80 mph = 129 km is not intuitive to me.

With the 300 km range, it is much harder to pin the speedo. Guess you'd need a few more mods.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
NYCHASM said:
Agent...

If you agree that the DIC language and readings can be changed to either metric or standard, how does the "Canadian car" come into play here?

I don't drink beer, but I'll bet you a nickel instead!!

Charlie
I'll look for you at the Z06FEST to collect Charlie.... :p :lol:

Just razzing you.... :)

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Hey Agent...

I'm still not thoroghly convinced. I need to ask specific questions and hope for specific answers. However, the wife beckons and I have to move my sorry ass away from the computer. If agreeable to you, I'd like to continue this back and forth and little later. If nothing else, either you or some other member can educate me about those damn Canadian's and our Corvettes.

Joking joking neighbors to the North. You are wonderful neighbors, friends and allies. I wish I was able to visit more often.

Hope to talk to you guys further on this topic. You really have me in a dither about all this.

Oh yeah - z06175mph...you started all this, so stick around for a few specific questions about your Canadian Corvette! Your input will probably made me a smarter Corvette person and cause me to have to pay off on my bet with Agent!

Be back later.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Why the hell would he have a Canadian car in California anyway?

Later all...

·
Registered
508 Posts
NYCHASM said:
Why the hell would he have a Canadian car in California anyway?

Later all...
Turns out they are portable :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
NYCHASM said:
IceSabre,

Go back and look again. The gauges are DEFINITELY on the metric settings. Look at the coolant temp gauge; it's reading centigrade not fahrenheit.

Of course the gauges change. The numbers on the speedometer change to reflect miles OR kilometers, the coolant temp. numbers change to reflect fahrenheit OR centigrade and the oil pressure gauge changes to reflect pounds or Pascals.

Charlie
I was saying that the physical faceplate does not change with the metric/english button only the readings.

I missed the fact that the oil pressure and temp gauge had the metric faceplates also.... or I woulda guessed canadian also... oh well...

ps. you still can't tell if his dic is set for metric or english from the picture.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
IceSabre said:

I was saying that the physical faceplate does not change with the metric/english button only the readings.
Yes - that's right - it's just a different face plate...

IceSabre said:

ps. you still can't tell if his dic is set for metric or english from the picture.
And I agree. :D

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
NYCHASM said:
IceSabre,

The numbers on the speedometer change to reflect miles OR kilometers,

Magic?

The numericals stay the same, the computer recalibrates for kph and adjusts the speedo's needle. When you make the switch from mph to kph the needle jumps to the respective kph speed from the mph speed on the guage.
Also as stated it is a Canadian guage, this higher reading scale allows them to read the top speed of the Vette without pegging the needle at 200mph/kph
:cheers:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in Cali and the Z is a US Citizen. Thanks for all the interesting replies and the responding to the poll.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts