Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked on most vendor sites. Called my local speed shop $$$$ Tried numerous mustang sites:puke: NO GO.
Do the ford injectors fit? I have been told most ford mags have these for $200.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally understand the whole injector theory. I will certainly go out and get these asap. I have heard it is the solvation of the Balckwing.

Thanks for the hosting of the pics and directing me around this site. If you know how to use it the info is endless. Glad I found it. Let me know when I can buy you a :guiness:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Ford SVO 30lb injectors are _readily_ available. Expect to pay ~$230-260 for a new set of 8.

Downs Ford in Tom's River NJ is a well-known Motorsport distributor and they'll have them in stock. Ask for Joe Amato...732-349-2240. I have no affiliation with them at all...I live in TX, but I've bought some things for my Fords from Joe before. Really any Ford Motorsport distributor (or even most dealers) will have them, or can get them on short notice.

I assume you guys who are swapping in 30s are having your PCM reflashed or some sort of custom programming done?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the help. I didi find the injectors at Summit. $219 for the set. Is there anyone in the CT area with a ease scanner? I will be installing the inj. and MAFT but would like to scan for fine tunning.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
02ZO6 said:
Thanks to all for the help. I didi find the injectors at Summit. $219 for the set. Is there anyone in the CT area with a ease scanner? I will be installing the inj. and MAFT but would like to scan for fine tunning.

Let us know how you make out with the 30 lb injectors, I have a set that I am going to install but there are a few other items that need to be done first. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
N4C5S said:
Did you check with Jim at Halltech? He has been doing a lot of research on injectors on the 02.......

JC
No, I asked if any of our vendors had them and was steered towards SVO. The Haltech injectors sound great but are a bit out of my budget for now. Too many toys this summer. When the Z arrived honey squeezed em'....tight....:flaming: :eek: When I am done with all these mods. if my #'s are not up... I will be problably be kicking myself in the ass for not going with Halletch.
I hope not:cry:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
N4C5S said:
Did you check with Jim at Halltech? He has been doing a lot of research on injectors on the 02.......

JC

Yeah, $685.00! :eek: :eek:
Why so much? I know we get a 10% discount but that is still really high. I will need a set to take care of the "Black Wing" problem, but I don't want to spend that much on squirters! :-?
What about a group purchase? Maybe all of us who are looking to get a set should get together. I'll give RG @ Exit 28 a call tomorrow and see what he can do. I bought my "Black Wing" off of him.

G

·
Fuel Injection 101

We distribute only the RC Engineering Fuel Injectors. Why?

The owner of RC Engineering, is Russ Collins, from motorcycle yester-year. RC Components was the first US motorcycle aftermarket manufacture to offer engine components for Hondas and other makes, back in the early 60s. Russ is an old guy like me.

In his words:

"R.C. Engineering sells new Lucas and Bosch, replacement and up-grade, injectors for almost every automobile made.

We have found that the stainless steel Lucas is, by far, the finest in construction and finish. The stainless steel innards, exclusive to Lucas, are a work of art. The unique metering disc assembly is years ahead of the, 40 year old, pintle design.

SIZE / RATINGS ---- ALL INJECTOR MANUFACTURERS USE CC PER./MIN. OR LBS. PER/HR. TO RATE AND CATALOGUE THEIR PARTS. ---{CC /MIN. DIVIDED BY 10.50 = LBS. PER/HR.}

R.C. Engineering has built the most sophisticated array of injector testing equipment, commercially, available in the world today. We analyze, calibrate, evaluate, disassemble, modify and customize fuel injectors 8 to 9 hourís day -5 days a week. We have three different Calibration Test Machines, two of which are virtually unlimited in pressure and flow rates. The spray pattern- testing machine is a single injector test stand, with a clear chamber, 8 inches in diameter and 18 inches tall. It allows us to make an unimpaired and exacting visual analysis of patterns and droplet size. It is also equipped with a Strobe light and Laser Beam to greatly enhance droplet size and highlight any targeting distortions or coalescence. (See Patterns later) Our newest Calibration Machine was built at a cost of over $32,000.00 and will provide a computer generated print out over varying RPM, pressures, and pulse widths, in color, similar to a dyno test graphic report. This will provide a graphic depiction of min/max Duty Cycle failures and pulse to pulse variances. The 2200X4 calibration machine will handle 2200 cc per/Min, that's 209 Lbs. per/Hr. and also has Strobe and Laser accessories
TESTING - RATING At R.C. Engineering we rate all injectors at 43.5 PS.I. / 3 BAR. The injectors are run for a least 60 Seconds in each test. This is becoming a universal standard and allows us to accurately compare differently rated units."

"We test injectors in 8 different procedures and at varying pulse widths with pressures ranging from 43.5 PSI for the standard test, up to 100 PSI for leakage and electronic evaluation. If an injector leaks or gets weak at the higher pressures we see this on the oscilloscope and the digital flow meter. If the pattern format starts to defuse, and produce out of range coalescence, the injector is of course discarded. We analyze this with a strobe light and laser beam to measure width and droplet size. If the injector passes the leak test we return to 43.5 P.S.I. and check for minimum response pulse width. (How low will it go test.)? Minimum cycle time for most pintle types is 2.0 Ms. for P&H and 2.5 for Saturated units. The Disc will cycle as low as 1.0 Ms., pulse width, in P&H and .2.0 Ms. for the Sat. Unit. (The Lucas Disc weighs only .4 Grams. and the Bosch / Nippon -Denso pintle is at 3.9 to 4 Grams. --- Ten times heavier) The reduced inertial loading of the disc, allows the Disc to overcome the hydro- static load at excitation quicker and return to it's seat faster, providing quicker response times and more consistent cycle-to-cycle values.
Next we test each injector at varying pulse widths, over the entire rpm range, from idle to 12,000 RPM. Starting the test at minimum Duty Cycle and increasing to 80% Duty Cycle, including the fast idle test at 2400 RPM. (80% is considered maximum usable Duty Cycle and is commonly used to calculate Brake Specific Fuel Consumption). We use the strobe light and the laser beam through out the testing cycle. It's a wonderful way to visually freeze the patterns, in mid air, and actually measure the results with the laser. No one else has this capability, and it's a real interesting light show. The last test that we run is the Tell All Test. We run each unit up in duty cycle, at 12,000 RPM, until it fails electronically. (Seen on the oscilloscope) This is prominently displayed with the laser and strobe. Most pintle type injectors fail at 86%/88% and the Disc will usually go to 92% +, depending on system pressure. All must cycle smoothly up to 85% to Pass. Bad injectors will sometimes go "static" at 70% or so and are discarded. NOTE: Most pintle injectors will increase flow rates up to 88%, 92% with Disc injectors, and then go "semi-static", half open-half closed, just before going full static. This time-out event occurs at different time/pulse width durations, in different injectors, but always produces a 50% or so Duty Cycle flow rate. This extremely dangerous situation will usually occur at the worst of times, full throttle-max boost-high RPM- just when you need 100% fuel delivery you get 50% and go dead lean. BANG!!! This problem seems to amplify a bit at higher pressures."

RC Engineering

As you can see, RC has captured the market on innovative testing of fuel injectors.

Russ told us that the stock Bosche injectors on the 2002 were very small for the HP they make and suggested that they are probably at a 90% or greater duty cycle. This is in stock configuration. Add an air intake system and you are definately on the small side for proper duty cycle.

"The Lucas injector maintains its pattern, cycle to cycle, the best under varying pressures and pulse widths. Diffuser/Pintle injectors have a rather tight, wetter pattern (more coalescence) than single discharge injectors. This is evidently caused by the impact of fuel on the diffuser surface causing the fuel to partially recollect. This provides a more concentrated liquid volume flux at the center of the cone, a tighter pattern angle, and a more accurate targeting capability. Cross sectional area of the port and distance to the valve is crucial with this type of injector."

Russ Collins at work.

Stock injectors are rated at 23.4 lbs/hr. on the 2002 Z06 which are built for a 360 HP engine at 80 % duty cycle. They will work at 405 HP but are running the duty cycle much higher. Add intake, headers, and other components and your headroom has disappeared altogether. We run 310cc/min injectors or 30 lb/hr in our 2002 Z06. There is no HP gain, but there is definately better response and no loss of power at high rpm. These injectors will be ok to 485 HP (flywheel) with the stock fuel pressure.

If you want to see what size injector you need, there's a link on our webstie: www.CorvetteC5.com Click Fuel Injector Sizing. If you plug in 405 HP, 8 cyl, .50 BSFC, .80 duty cycle, and 58 psig for fuel pressure, you will see the recommended size is 27.4 lbs/hr. or 288 cc/min. The stock 2002 injectors we tested came in at 255 cc/min, or 23.4 lbs/hr. If you increase the duty cycle, you can make them work for the 405 HP rating.

Jim Hall

Thanks to RC Engineering for technical information. For more information: http://www.rceng.com/about.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts